Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2021, 03:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Parts, Tools & More Questions

Hello & thank you for reading this. Hopefully, I can find some answers.

I've read the manual for my 2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108DS and it doesn't answer many of my questions. Please help me if you you know the answers.

1. What bulbs do I need for brake lights, turn signals and clearance lights? Typically, I would carry what I need for quick replacements.

2. What tools do I need to carry? I have one big flat head screwdriver, and I mean big! But what other tools do I need to carry? Sizes?

3. What other replacement parts should I consider carrying?

4. Does anybody have a plumbing diagram, so which pipes are where and go to what tank, etc? I'm just curious. I like to visualize things, it will help me know where my weight is being carried and distributed.

5. I need step-by-step instructions, (can be a video), on hitching up my TT to my TV. I have the Eaz WDH. The order of things would be nice. I have a vague memory of how to do it, would like confirmation.

6. Anything you can think of I didn't ask?

Thank you! I look forward to reading the responses.

Kimberley
Kimburchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Here are a couple links for Winnebago, I could not find your unit but you should beable to find something close
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...m/Plumbing.htm
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

As for tools I carry just the basic stuff, screw drivers however most of the screw take a special head, not hard to find just not normal. ViceGrips, needle noise plyers, standard sock set, hammer etc. Duck tape, electric tape the list could go on and on its just up to you as what you need to get done. Some folks carry a whole tool chest while others only small amount.

As for parts, for me its like tools not very much in spare stuff. I do carry extra hose washers with and with out screens. The rubber gaskets that hold the stove grate in place. I also carry silicone spray

Good Luck safe travels
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Wow! Thank you. I appreciate your feedback.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:14 PM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner

In addition to the above, I’d read through your owners manual very carefully. There are some special tools you may need to effect small repairs on the road, e.g. special socket to manually retract the slide outs, hex wrench for the leveling jacks if they get stuck, etc.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have been reading, although I’m not finished. I do have two different socket type things, one is for the manual operation of the slide out and the other is for the manual operation of the power tongue jack. I’m going to purchase a 1/2” torque wrench to make sure the lug nuts are tight.

Thank you for your response:
Kimberley
Old 04-11-2021, 03:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Off the top of my head, my tool kit has:

Ratcheting screwdriver with multiple bits
Zip ties
Duck tape
Electrical tape
Double sided foam tape (you’d be amazed what I’ve done with it)
Vice grips (2 pair of different sizes)
All in one tool kit with sockets, wrenches, screw drivers in a plastic case.
A ziplock back with various rubber gaskets for the plumbing
Tape Measurer
Flashlight (hidden so the kids can’t wear out the batteries like the 10 others we carry)
Tire pressure gauge
A milk crate with oil and various spray lubes
My Coach-Net membership ID
My credit card (this is the best tool you can carry along with a smartphone that lets you view you tube videos on how to fix stuff and access this site!)

I do also carry a spare serpentine belt (I replaced mine and once off realized the previous owner had done it somewhere along the way so I kept as a spare) as well as a large socket and breaker bar for wheels. On long trips I also pack the air compressor, but for short ones I leave at home.

For me, my mindset is I want to be able to patch/repair something so I can keep enjoying the trip and get home, but also know that short of bringing every tool I own there is a chance I’m using Coach-Net or calling the mobile RV tech.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the very thorough list. I will go through my tools here at the house and place the one’s mentioned in a small toolbox.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:07 PM   #8

What tools you need depends on what you are comfortable working on. It also depends where you are travelling, on throughways with services or back roads miles away from anywhere A.K.A. the middle of nowhere! I keep small unopened bottles of most engine fluids as I tend to drive in northern Canada.

For example, I have a full size spare tire mounted on a second hitch ahead of the front bumper to keep larger critters from taking out the radiator. I have a jack, jack stands, wheel chocks, breaker bar, sockets, torque wrench, and an electric 1/2" driver. And that's just to change a flat tire.
Jos 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I would not buy any bulbs for a brand new TT under warranty. You won't need them for several years, perhaps never if Winnebago built it with LEDs rather than filament bulbs.

I'd carry some lithium grease for the stabilizing jack screws and to coat the hitch ball with.

You might consider a cordless drill and an adapter you can insert in the drill chuck to be able to raise and lower the stabilizing jack with the cordless drill.

I'd get some wheel chocks and leveling blocks, too, and a short level.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago Newbie

Kimburchic, Since you have a travel trailer you will not find any diagrams on line. Email Winnebago at "[email protected]" Tell them which model you have and request all diagrams they have available for your camper. You will want electric, 12 volt and 120 volt, water, and other plumbing leading to and from fresh, gray, and black water tanks. They were very helpful for me.
Unless your dealer is better than mine, go ahead and get spare fuses. Waiting for a dealer can take weeks if not months. Others have already given a pretty good tool list. I bought the yellow lego blocks for leveling my camper. I use them as a jack by building a ramp with them tall enough to lift a wheel off the ground. Much less work than a jack and takes less space and weighs less. I bought to sets of them, I think 10 to a set but might be less. Replace the China bomb tires as soon as possible. The extra mileage you get using them is not worth the cost of repairs from the damage the tires do when the blow. You can sell the China bombs to someone with a lawn mower trailer to get some of your money back. Look for reinforced nylon hose connected to the PEX hose. Anyplace the nylon is connected to PEX will leak. Replace all PEX crimp connectors where nylon hose attaches to PEX with stainless steel hose clamps. Connecting TT to TV depends on your sway control system. Good luck! All I have time for now. Always glad to help.
Rustyturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Hitching Up

Kimburchic
To answer your question about hitching up. I see you gave the manufacturers name for the weight distribution hitch. You might search youtube videos for setting it up. That worked for me. They make several models. I am not familiar with it so I cannot be of much help. I do recommend this video: https://five2go.com/2019/03/rving-10...our-rv-safely/
You will need to make your own checklist since all are different. The web page above will tell you of all the major items to do. Again, good luck.
Rustyturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:31 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

There is no reason to take tools to undertake repairs you will not be making. Tail lights should be LED and not need to be replaced. With most vehicles a Torx tool with multiple heads is needed.

What is important is being able to remove a battery connection in the event of a short in the wiring and to make simple repairs to plumbing with Channelock pliers and a couple of screwdrivers.

Something that is common with boats that are going offshore is to do a few shakedown trips of short duration and see what malfunctions or breaks. Same applies to an RV where making a few trips close to home will insure that all is working properly and give you practice with operating the systems.

One thing I do have with all my vehicles is a small can of stop-leak that I can pour into the radiator if some clown with a truck sends a rock through it. There is a current fad with guys running very large and very aggressive tires and not bothering with fender extensions or mud flaps. I have had two windscreens and a radiator damaged by rocks their tires have flipped up.

A good air pump is something else I carry as many gas stations have compressors that cannot provide even 80 PSI for my truck much the pressure needed for our Navion's tires.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts