Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Parking RV on an sloped surface

I store my RV at a local self-storage facility. The manager told me I could move it to another spot that has a 9" difference in height for no charge.

The way the spot is laid out is on a paved surface but the driver's side sits lower than the passenger side. To help try to bring it more level I lowered the driver's side front and rear hydraulic jacks.

My question is whether it is harmful to do this for long periods of time with the jacks down? Or, can I just park it there and let it sit crooked all winter without using the jacks? I don't run the fridge unless I am going somewhere so I don't believe that is a problem.

All advice is appreciated!
sqzdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I wouldn't trust your jacks to hold it up for A long period of time. I would suggest building ramps out of 2" X 12" to drive up on to support the low side. A six ply ramp will bring it up the nine inches. I also can't think of a reason why you couldn't park your RV on the slope with your fridge off unless it could be a problem for your batteries ? Hope this helps
Old 10-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #3

a: the coach doesn't care if it's not level. The fridge does if it is on, but not the coach.

b: I prefer to take some weight off the tires during winter storage, and I absolutely trust the jacks to do that.

c: If it's blacktop, yer gonna have some 'splainin to do come springtime... Put some good thick plywood blocks under them jacks, or they will punch right thru that pavement.

I leave mine in outside storage, on the jacks, as high as I can and still level her. I give the exposed jack cylinders a good wipe with trans fluid, and leave until spring.

I wish I could arrange inside heated storage :(
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I do not see any problem with the levelness of the slope, personally I would park it on wood ramp to get it a little more level. Make sure both duals are supported if you do this. As for leaving the jacks down in the winter. Well do you get a lot of moisture, if so you will have to treat them with oil regularly so they don't rust. We snowbird in the winter in TX and and do it once a month to keep them nice and shinny. All is my opinion.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I would park ALL tires on wood or some other vapor barrier, then put jack pads down and keep the jacks extended to keep some weight off the tires. My jacks have been extended most of the past six years, sometimes up to 3 months at a time. I have never touched the jack rams with anything, and never seen any need to. My Winnebago has HWH jacks, and their recommendation has been "use your jacks during storage" and "no lube necessary.". That has worked very well for me. If your Winnebago jacks are not HWH, follow the recommendations of your jack mfg'er ...all jacks are NOT created equal.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone. Correction- my RV is parked on a firm gravel base, not blacktop/asphalt.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Our storage is level and sandy so we put the orange blocks under the tires for short storage and use jacks for longer storage. Thor said using jacks is what they are designed for. When we stored on sloping ground we used the orange blocks on the lower side. They work fine, you may need 2 sets of them if slope is to great. IMO I like our coach level.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to JayLodge
When I was at the dealer having a bad jack replaced, the agent commented that long durations of being down can, over time, weaken the springs such that you start having problems RAISING the jacks. Don't really know, but thought it worth mentioning.
JayLodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Lucky for me, the previous owner bought all new springs. I just haven't had the chance to put them on yet!
Old 10-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
agent commented that long durations of being down can, over time, weaken the springs such that you start having problems RAISING the jacks
I can understand why someone might think that if they have no experience in RVing, and no real technical knowledge (move RV salesmen know very little about their products). As stated earlier, my jacks have been down most of the past 6 years and I've never had any problem getting them to raise when I wanted ...still have the original springs...