Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Paint for mirrors???

Hi Guys:

Question for you. I was on a trip a few months ago and cut it to close going through the VA turnpike toll booths.

My right side mirror wacked the blue pole. No harm done except a few major scratches on the outside of the mirror. I guess its fiberglass ??? I asked my Winnie dealer what kind of paint I should use. He said none, I would have to order a new mirror. That isn't going to happen.

What do you suggest I paint the outside of the mirror with? I would probably paint both mirrors to match. It looks to be a medium shade of gray.

Regards PAM04
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

For things like that I like to use rattle can bumper paint. you can get it at any local parts store. It will give a satin look finsh. Not too flat, not too much of a shine.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

PAM04,
Krylon makes a line of aerosol spray paints called "Fusion" that are specifically designed for plastics and bond at the molecular level. The product is available almost everywhere including ACE Hardware. I have an '06 Journey whose black mirror pods (not fiberglass, but looked to be a form of ABS plastic) also required some touch up and used their Satin Black. The color & luster match was perfect and so far so good after 5 months. Krylon does have gray available, but you will have to investigate if their available shades will work for you.

Dan
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

From my experience, Krylon Fusion will not give you a professional job. It is OK but not great.

My coach had satin black mirrors and I painted them to match my lower trim color with some Dupont Centari I had mixed to match the trim color. Centari is very forgiving and easy to apply with a spray gun. I wet sanded the mirror heads and arms, gave them three wet coats, then color sanded and buffed them 24 hrs after I painted them. They looked great.

Last year when I had the coach painted, I replaced the painted heads with chrome heads and had the paint shop paint the arms with one of the colors used on the coach. They used Dupont base/clear on those.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hi SMLR:

How much did the chrome heads set you back? I was thinking about that, but not if it was to expensive.

I will probably just go with the Krylon fusion paint.

Thanks for all the help.

PAM04
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I used Rust-oleum paint for plastic on my last RV's mirror heads. Paint was a year old when I traded and still looked great. The Krylon paint has a good reputation as well.
LAT-LON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:49 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

cant sell RVs? sell 1200 dollar sets of mirrors instead!

that won't win them too many fans though...
Old 11-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pameridan04 View Post
Hi SMLR:

How much did the chrome heads set you back? I was thinking about that, but not if it was to expensive.

I will probably just go with the Krylon fusion paint.

Thanks for all the help.

PAM04
I think I paid less than $120 each for the chrome Velvac heads. These were just like the original painted heads with the remote motors and heated glass. I called Velvac to get the right number but ordered the mirrors from a local Fleetpride parts house. Fleetpride's price was much less than ordering from Velvac.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I can vouch for the Krylon Fusion paint. Our Aspect had badly yellowed mirror covers from sun exposure and I gave them two coats of Fusion. This was over a year ago, 10,000 miles since then and they look as good as when I sprayed them. Good stuff.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

VRT (Vinyl, Rubber, Tire) by Adams Polishes makes our dull, black Velvac mirrors look like new as well as all the black trim on the RV and car. It's only a temporary fix, though, as it lasts thru a few washes and then needs to be reapplied.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #11
KIX
Winnebago Master

Fusion paint will bond to the plastic Velvac mirror head. The problem with using Fusion in this particular application is that Fusion pain will not ever harden like an automotive pain will. So it will look nice until you get bugs on the mirror heads and try to scrub the bugs off. Fusion paint will come off with any aggressive scrubbing. JMHO
Old 11-23-2011, 06:31 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Fusion paint will bond to the plastic Velvac mirror head. The problem with using Fusion in this particular application is that Fusion pain will not ever harden like an automotive pain will. So it will look nice until you get bugs on the mirror heads and try to scrub the bugs off. Fusion paint will come off with any aggressive scrubbing. JMHO
I didn't have that problem. My standard bug-removal procedure is to soap 'em down and let 'em sit for 5 minutes. Almost always comes off with no problem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-23-2011, 07:45 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Faded paint

I have same faded white paint on mirror problem with my '06 Outlook. I will try the Krylon Fusion paint next year when the weather warms back up. Thanks for the advice.
DAB2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Would you paint the mirrors in a satin or gloss finish?
Old 11-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

i would go satin. easier to keep looking good, and touch-up should be easier too.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:29 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Over a year ago I painted my rear view mirrors with Rust Oleum Industrial grade white. I gave the mirrors 6 light coats with a 1400 grit sanding in between. They still look better than new. The original paint went to a tan color in two years time. I used a gloss finish. Man do they shine.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I did ours in the Fusion Satin (white) finish. More in keeping with the original look of the Velvac mirrors. I think glossy finishes tend to exaggerate imperfections on the surfaces and may not wear as well when cleaning. Just my opinion though.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Thanks. Looks like satin is the way to go.
I will put this on the spring "to do" list.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

First coat applied!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1268041702.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	735.9 KB
ID:	25198  
Old 08-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pameridan04 View Post
Hi Guys:

Question for you. I was on a trip a few months ago and cut it to close going through the VA turnpike toll booths.

My right side mirror wacked the blue pole. No harm done except a few major scratches on the outside of the mirror. I guess its fiberglass ??? I asked my Winnie dealer what kind of paint I should use. He said none, I would have to order a new mirror. That isn't going to happen.

What do you suggest I paint the outside of the mirror with? I would probably paint both mirrors to match. It looks to be a medium shade of gray.

Regards PAM04
I'm not sure if the mirrors were supposed to be painted, but ours are. I suspect there were some cosmetic flaws so they got a sanding and a coat of satin black. Now some 12 years later they need to be repainted. So when time allows it'll be a Krylon satin balck one more time.

Back when Winnebago had the surplus parts store I bought a complete pair of mirrors (with power movement & defrost) for $20.00. The door to the garage is so tight (door opening 10' - motorhome width with mirrors folded in 9' 11 1/2") I was sure I'd knock one off. So far so good. I was thinking about just installing the new ones , but I think repainting would be easier.

Tags
paint