Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2005, 05:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Anybody ever change from a three burner (Magic Chef)cooktop to a cooktop and oven combo? I would like to add an oven cooktop/oven combo to my 2000 Journey.
Thanks in advance for the advice.
RC
Old 10-24-2005, 05:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Anybody ever change from a three burner (Magic Chef)cooktop to a cooktop and oven combo? I would like to add an oven cooktop/oven combo to my 2000 Journey.
Thanks in advance for the advice.
RC
Old 10-25-2005, 01:44 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

WE love our oven and we're glad we ordered it. But I've never swapped a standard cooktop unit out like you want to do. I would get a hold of winnebagoparts.com or lichtsinnmotors.com and inquire as to sizes and cost. I know they do make a big oven & a small oven; -get the biggie.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thank You for your input. I will check out the two suppliers you mentioned. We have always had an oven and when we got this motorhome about a year ago we thought the "convection" microwave was also a real oven - what a disappointment.
RC
Old 10-25-2005, 03:28 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We've always had ovens and don't prefer the cooktops. However, most coaches on the lot have just the cooktop. When we were shopping around we asked about swapping it out but the dealers didn't want to do that, which is one of the reasons we ordered our coaches.

The mechanical end of it is no big deal but they didn't want to mess with the cabinetry. If someone was real good with woodworking it might not be that hard to do. The wiring and gas line isn't that hard but it would probably depend upon how the cooktop and oven differ as far as fitting into the solid surface countertop neatly without turning it into a hack job.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:51 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

My rig was delivered to Lazy Days (FL) with only a 3-burner cooktop. I had Lazy Days install a Oven/Cooktop combo (Amana 3 burner). Works well & I use it a lot (oven & stove top).

Upon initial installation, there was a problem w/getting the stove top burners to lite off (using the Piezo snapper). Burners always lit off using a BBQ liter. Took a few warranty visits to get it properly adjusted.

Only obvious downside is loss of storage space.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We ordered ours with cooktop and oven. The way the salesman explained it was "you can store stuff in the oven, but you can't cook stuff in a cabinet". Ends up we store stuff in the oven and cook stuff in the convection oven.
limandlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

My wife wanted the oven so we did not order the delete option. She has not lite it and we've had the coach for almost a year. She uses the conv/micro occasionally. I now wish we would have ordered the coach with the oven delete option. The conv/micro is a much more efficient method of cooking than the oven.

Yes, the oven can be used for storage but we now feel the drawer cabinetry would be nicer. Although the stainless steel oven door is attractive and maybe if we sell the coach to a private party they will want an oven.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote