Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-30-2007, 07:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have the 07 Journey 36G. When I ordered the unit several accesseries were not listed o had been deleted from the packages. Checking the dash readout there appears at one time to have been an accessary for the indoor/outdoor thermometer that reads out on the dash display.

I have not been able to locate this in the parts catalog nor in the electrical diagrams.

1. Does Winney make an indoor/outdoor thermometer? If so has anyone installed one bought from Winnie or from an outsource? How difficult was it to install?

I really miss knowing the outside temps. I travel alot on business and when in WI last week temp plunged and I did't know it. I was too lazy to go back inside and get a jacket when refuling at a SLOOOOOOW pump. Nearly froze my toush off. (my fault...no body needs to tell me how dumb that was...but I do need help with this indoor/outdoor temp thing.)

thanks
jk
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have the 07 Journey 36G. When I ordered the unit several accesseries were not listed o had been deleted from the packages. Checking the dash readout there appears at one time to have been an accessary for the indoor/outdoor thermometer that reads out on the dash display.

I have not been able to locate this in the parts catalog nor in the electrical diagrams.

1. Does Winney make an indoor/outdoor thermometer? If so has anyone installed one bought from Winnie or from an outsource? How difficult was it to install?

I really miss knowing the outside temps. I travel alot on business and when in WI last week temp plunged and I did't know it. I was too lazy to go back inside and get a jacket when refuling at a SLOOOOOOW pump. Nearly froze my toush off. (my fault...no body needs to tell me how dumb that was...but I do need help with this indoor/outdoor temp thing.)

thanks
jk
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I have one on the dash that came with the coach.
I also bought one of those remote temp receivers made by Oregon Scientific with 3 sending units at CW.
I placed one in the Norcold refer, one under the slide, out of the sun and one in the basement storage.
Now I can check basement temp, outside temp and the Norcold refer temp without opening the door.
It also has date, time and inside temp readouts
Slick!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:15 AM   #4

I'm not sure Winnie makes an indoor/outdoor thermometer.

What we did was buy a electronic Temperature monitor with 3 sensors. We installed one outside under the "hood", and then the other 2 in our fresh water pump area and the sewer area so we can get temperatures in those crutial areas. The monitor itself, we installed on the dash, and you can toggle between the sensors for the readouts.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

jk,

I too have an '07 coach and found this missing feature in the new FL infocenter. I did call FL to find out if it can be retrofitted, and they said 'no'... something to do with a missing wiring harness.

Not a good answer from FL.

You can get the old style compass/temperature module which was standard on the pre-'07's by calling Lichtsinn Motors. I am considering doing this.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

If you're interested in the old style thermometer/compass give the Winnebago surplus store a call. I bought a couple complete units last year for $10.00 ea. They even come with installation instructions.

I had to replace the thermo sensor the year before so I called the manufacturer. The sensor is only $10.00 but the normal minimum order is $25.00. Fortunately I got a hold of the right person. They sent me the part as a courtesy without even charging shipping.

If I have any troubles in the future I have plenty of replacement parts.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have been considering buying a thermometer but I was thinking im terms of one remote sensor. The idea of 3 remotes never occured, great idea. What does one use to attach the sensor to the underside of the slide, epoxy, double side stickey tape, velcro, or something else? Does the Oregon Scientific come with 3 remotes? Out of curiousity , Ed, do you notice a tempeature difference between under the slide and in the compartment? I think it would really be great if one winter camped to know the temps in the holding tank compartments too.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I have a outside temp/clock unit that came with our 06 Meridian. Nice little unit. Winny surely knows the model number of these as I have seen them in other models as well. It measures about 4 x 3 inches and fits right into the dash.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Any of these 432MHz wireless thermometers are great for this use. I have a WWV wall clock installed that gives time, date, barometer, inside and outside temp. The outside sensor is tucked up by the propane tank, so it has full exposure to the air, but no sun. I think I paid somewhere around $25 @ WM

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:55 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

codgerbill,
Yes there is a difference. The monitor on the Livingroom slideout is exposed to the outside temperature mounted to the outside on the rear of the front storage box near the HWH ram, lots of room to use where it doesn't get in the way when the slide is in and it's always in the shade/out of sight and away from road debris. I mounted it with the two screws that came with the monitor bracket and made sure they didn't leak using silicon caulk, but the compartment walls are pretty thick anyway. I also used a little silicon caulk to help secure the monitor in the sleeve provided just in case it jarred loose. Main basement storage area inside: We keep pop/soda and other fluids in there so we wanted to know what the temp was in case it got too hot, which it never did.... We found out that if you run the AC inside the coach and keep the floor vents uncovered cool air does find its way to the basement area via the ducts. Winter when you run the gas furnace you can find out what temp the basement is at a glance. You can also place one in the water compartment... We opted for the slide and the basement storage area because we don't winter where it's cold... The refrigerator is nice because you can always see if it's too cold or too warm at a glance.... We keep it on the refer and monitor the rest by push button....
I haven't seen any with more then 3 remote monitors.This one came with one and the others were around 17.00 each. We've had this one for 3 years and only replaced the batteries once in the receiver and one monitor, not bad!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote