Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-10-2021, 07:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Our genset is not connected to the coach.

We were at a Blue Grass Concert last week and dry camping in a horse pasture with no hookups available. We were running the genset and had the AC, the fridge, and water heater all connected and working fine when the power went out. The genset was still running but suddenly at a reduced load.

I checked all the circuit breakers and reset them to no avail. There simply was no power to the power center. I suspected the transfer switch and found a dealer not too far away who had one and a tech said he would come out and replace it. Well, he got tied up and never got there so it isn't fixed. We spent the rest of our time there on batteries and still had a good time.

My question is where is the transfer switch located? I suspect it's in the compartment with the 50 amp cord inside one of the metal boxes there. Am I wrong? Could there be some other cause other that the transfer switch?

We are having the dealer ship the new switch to us and hope to get it installed so we can travel again.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:58 AM   #2
Just Trying to Help

Jim-

The "Body, 110 Volt Wiring Installation" diagram for your coach (link here, sheet 1, zone C-7) says the ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) is in the last storage bay on the driver's side, on the left, at the bottom.

The "110 Volt Load Center/Automatic Transfer Switch" diagram (link here) shows how the ATS is wired.

Links to all your coach's diagrams are here.

You may be able to remove the ATS cover and test if the generator 110/120V is getting that far. If you don't know how to safely test 120V equipment, don't try. It can kill you.

I see that while I was editing this post "creativepart" suggested checking and resetting the generator output breakers. This is my suggestion for a first step, as well. If that does not fix the problem, and testing at the ATS indicates 120V is getting to the ATS from the generator, then the next suspect is the ATS.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:01 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
My question is where is the transfer switch located? I suspect it's in the compartment with the 50 amp cord inside one of the metal boxes there. Am I wrong? Could there be some other cause other that the transfer switch?
Yes that is usually where the ATS is located. And yes it certainly can be some other problem. For example, there are circuit breakers located directly on your generator that connect the generator to your electrical system and if they have tripped you’d have this exact same result.

Inside the ATS is a “contacter” - two actually, one for shore power and one for generator power - that also does that same job of powering the system.

Go check your generator’s circuit breakers.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
For example, there are circuit breakers located directly on your generator that connect the generator to your electrical system and if they have tripped you’d have this exact same result.
Actually I have been trained in aircraft wiring and I do know how to check things without being killed, but I did not know about the circuit breakers on the genset. I looked for some but did not find them. Just where are they located?

And thanks for your replies.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Look near the right side top, or were you see the manual start button. Reset like any other breaker, off then on. Might of had too much running on a hot day.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

[QUOTE=deckape;3902855]Might of had too much running on a hot day./QUOTE]

It was indeed a hot day and we had everything running so that could be the problem. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2021, 02:19 PM   #7
Site Team

It would help if you told us the model of your Genset? Onan, 8000 QD maybe? Or something similar. If we had that we could point you directly to the breakers.
Old 08-10-2021, 03:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

So I went out to the barn and slowly moved wiring away around the front of the genset and low and behold there was a circuit breaker hiding from me. I reset it, started the genset, and it hooked up.

I now have a transfer switch for sale.
Old 08-10-2021, 03:15 PM   #9
Site Team

Glad it turned out to be an easy fix.

Imagine if you had gone to all the trouble to replace the ATS and it still didn't "fix" the issue. That would have been even less fun.