Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-25-2021, 08:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Opinions please

I am going to be advertising my 04 Itasca Suncruiser for sale soon. My nephew that will be helping prepare it for sale is telling me that I will have a difficult time selling a class A gasser due to the climbing cost of gas and the age of the MH.
I am asking for opinions, especially those that have recently made purchase decisions and considered a gas vs diesel. How much would rising gas costs affect your decision? Is a 2004 class A too old? How much weight would you give to the floor plan?
For background, the roof was replaced 2 years ago
the genset was replaced about 4 years ago and is less than 100 hrs
the main room and bedroom TVs were just replaced with flat screens.

Thanks in advance for any comments
Greatscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:07 PM   #2
Site Team

There is no one answer to this. You list it and it will sell or not.

Current gas prices don’t play that much of a part in this equation. The condition of the coach and the price you ask will make all of the difference in your success.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:20 PM   #3
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Considering the supply v demand equation, with RV sales soaring, and backlogs of new units, there’s probably no better time to sell. But remember, the buyers choose the price to pay, not you...
Old 03-26-2021, 09:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Is a 2004 class A too old? -- No, there's always a market for older rigs. I just had an independent RV tech work on my 2002. He has a 2001 Winnebago and was commenting on how well built they are in comparison to newer RVs. Condition is everything.

How much weight would you give to the floor plan? -- It all depends on the floor plan and the preference of the potential buyer. I've read that my 35U is one of the most popular floor plans Winnebago has produced. This is more likely an ease of sale factor that a price factor.

For background, the roof was replaced 2 years ago -- Depends on how it was replaced. If it was replaced with an OEM type fiberglass roof it's a definite plus. If it was replaced or covered with a rubber roof, not so much.

The genset was replaced about 4 years ago and is less than 100 hrs -- This is a definite plus and should be worth some extra money, but not the full value.

The main room and bedroom TVs were just replaced with flat screens -- This is also a plus, but more of a selling point, so don't expect to get extra money for it.

One thing you didn't mention is flooring. Old shag carpeting isn't a selling point. An easy DIY replacement is to use carpet tiles. I replaced mine with quality commercial carpet tiles using carpet tape. Replacing the vinyl is a bit more work but worth it if yours is in bad shape. Carpet first, vinyl second, and DIY only. It's unlikely you'd recoup the cost of a professional job.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Search the resale places to see what your year and model are going for to get an idea. Set a price above what you think it is worth. You can always come down in price through negotiation,

All fuel prices are rising, not just gasoline. As stated, don't go by that. If the price is right/negotiable there should be someone out there looking for that bargain,

Go for it!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Not many sellers can point to Youtube for documentation of repairs. AZ Expert replaced the roof with OEM Filon, just like the original and posted every step on his YT channel.
He also recorded his work on the basement a/c
thanks for your comment
Old 03-26-2021, 12:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

What something if worth is always a matter of how bad you want to sell versus how much the buyer wants to buy it. All the other points are just details and depend on who is looking. If you want more for it than the buyer wants to pay, you will likely keep it until the gas goes down or the tires go flat. You are very much in control.
I sold a nice RV when the gas got too high at 1.54 but I've bought two others since the price has been over 2.50!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Remember, selling for less than you think it is worth is better than hanging on to an RV that you don't need or want. Be glad you're not an owner with a newer and much more expensive RV who's upside down on their loan.

It's what the market thinks it's worth, not what you think it's worth.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Personally I would place ads on EVERY place that sells RVs/vehicles !! even craigslist, rv boards, even youtube and such.

to me, exterior was most important, most have lots of decal issues, not cheap to replace, PIA or have fixed via painting over - almost bought one and dealer wanted $1500 to paint decals - talked him down to $750 but other annoying things bad - foggy windows are #2.

I wanted a place for a washer-dryer, so that reduced the floor plans & lengths that worked for me.

I also like a split bath, commode on 1 side, shower/sink on other - keeps stink boxed up !!

also, the chassis was important, i wanted a workhorse chassis w22/24, as the engine and trans are important, ford chassis always had 1 less gear in trans than did workhorse - engine is what is adv about diesel but chassis too.

diesels are desired but are at least $20-50k for exact same floorplan - chassis costs - but gas has advantage that any back country mechanic can work on engine/drive/brakes/wheels/trans NOT so for diesel - just depends the where.

lots of diesel owners seem to be afraid of servicing their diesels, no issue for diy-ers on gas mh - it is a truck.

but of course when it comes to 'house' issues - all mh are the same - all seem to have special this or that so it comes to parts avail - whineyBagels is good to get parts if needed.

so gas for those looking for $$ deals, diesels for an mo expensive deal - tradeoffs.

most mh are gases so $$ seems to be #1, then floorplan/features.

but a good clean perfect looking mh is a quick sale !! had 3 bought out from under me !! they were in excellent shape, from 2002-2010 models, the 2002 was as perfect as possible and the price asked was high, but sold quick.

GL!
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 02:17 PM   #10
2022 Travato 59KL

I would think mileage could be a big thing.
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 02:32 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Smiling Simon, that was a great reply. Thanks a lot. Very helpful. Interior is as perfect as I can get it without a complete tear down and remodel. The decals are an issue. First try this morning at painting the one on the nose. Not sure about it. If it looks awful, I have Graphxoff so I have the option of just deleting it. The paint below the beltline is exceptional looking, so just dealing with a couple of decal and gelcoat issues.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscot View Post
Smiling Simon, that was a great reply. Thanks a lot. Very helpful. Interior is as perfect as I can get it without a complete tear down and remodel. The decals are an issue. First try this morning at painting the one on the nose. Not sure about it. If it looks awful, I have Graphxoff so I have the option of just deleting it. The paint below the beltline is exceptional looking, so just dealing with a couple of decal and gelcoat issues.

Headsup on the removing the decals if you have not been there! The rest of the coach will have weathered while the area under the decal has not, so use caution before committing to just removing the decal as a way to make it look better.

We removed one and found it so obvious that we were forced to replace it for appearance. Varies with each RV but just something to consider?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:47 PM   #13
WinnieAdven38

Quote:
I am going to be advertising my 04 Itasca Suncruiser for sale soon. My nephew that will be helping prepare it for sale is telling me that I will have a difficult time selling a class A gasser due to the climbing cost of gas and the age of the MH.
I am asking for opinions, especially those that have recently made purchase decisions and considered a gas vs diesel. How much would rising gas costs affect your decision? Is a 2004 class A too old? How much weight would you give to the floor plan?

Condition, condition, condition.

The RV market is really hot right now, so the age of your rig is not nearly so critical as it's overall appearance and condition. It should have newer tires, be clean and fully functional.. By this I mean - everything should work as even buyers of used RVs expect them to, and the last thing they want to do is have to start making repairs.

You can get some price ranges my looking at similar rigs on RV Trader and PPL Motorhomes (where we bought ours).
As for advertising your rig:

* Ask a reasonable price. Expect a buyer to try to bargain you down some - which is acceptable, but avoid those who only want to offer a low-ball price.

* Add lots of photos - inside and out.

* Be honest in describing your unit. If something is damaged or does not work correctly - say so. But also do not be afraid to build up the good points - such as very driveable, looks great, etc.

* As for mileage - in my experience an older RV can have mileage too low - because this means that it sat around a lot. And any automotive type unit ages far more when sitting than if being used. So if buyers want a low mileage unit - that is not always a good thing.

* ALWAYS sell with a receipt clearly marked as "SOLD AS IS". If you do not you will have a buyer coming back and hounding you - forever! - about every little thing that goes wrong.

* Give buyers full access to inspections. Not only gives a buyer confidence in your rig - but you may actually learn something!

* Always sell for cash only or direct funds transfer at your bank. There is no such thing as a valid Cashiers check any more.

* When finally selling - DO SO ONLY AT YOUR local DMV. Reason is - you want to ensure that your name is removed, and the buyer's name added to the title that day. You are then effectively transmitting any liability to the buyer and away from you. Many cases where a seller simply signed over the title and the buyer went off and had a bad accident - with the unit still in the seller's name. Basically - you must have clear and immediate transfer of ownership - which can only be done directly at your DMV office. Funds transfer does not count - only DMV registration counts.

For more details on how to sell a car properly see some videos from Steve Lehto, and others on YouTube.

* Be sure to inform the buyer - ahead of time and during their buying process - of the above requirements for funds and DMV registration.

Good Luck!
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:53 PM   #14
WinnieAdven38

To your questions about gas vs. diesel -

Gasoline rigs sell for less than diesel, but do not let that discourage you as diesels can be very pricey. Even though gasoline prices have risen some recently - they should hardly deter any buyer. After all - Diesel fuel prices have also gone up the same % amount too. And while Diesels do get better fuel economy - it is still not great.

For buyers wanting an RV they expect gasoline units to be less expensive, but there are still many buyers out there. And again - the RV market is really hot right now, so great time to sell.

Final reminder - be sure watch YouTube videos from Steve Lehto about what you should do in selling your Car (or RV). Very important.
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:47 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

If you are within a days drive of Texas, I would recommend talking to the folks at PPL Motorhomes.

They are a high volume seller. It's where we bought ours, and they are absolutely clamoring for units to sell. I've never seen their Cleburne store inventory so low for motorhomes - across the board.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:24 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

GreatScot, one important item when selling is to make sure it is super clean. A 2002 will have wear and tear but buyers really hate dirt. Scrub everything down - walls, carpet, upholstery, refrigerator, shower, etc. Remove excess junk from drawers, closets, and storage areas then vacuum them out or wipe them down. Its a lot of work but generally inexpensive and I think it is worth it.

My wife and I looked at lots of used motorhomes for sale when we were buying. Some of them my wife would look in the door and then refuse to even go in because of the dirt and/or smell.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:39 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

If gas goes up, so does diesel! Buyers look for quality, and dealers can't find enough good used coaches because they sell very quickly. Get your Itasca cleaned up and looking good. Be honest about the good points and mileage. Advertise it and I'm betting you'll have it sold in no time. The market for new and used is really good right now. Don't worry about it being a gasser and the price of gas. If a perspective buyer is worried about gas and fuel prices going up, he can't afford to be RVing!!! Good luck! We love our Itasca Suncruiser!
shaneotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:53 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:

I have glanced at the above replies to your post. I agree.
Please consider my thoughts. I NEVER buy new. I can't afford to wait for the OEM problems to be solved after delivery. Too many new RV owners spend months waiting for the rig to be camping worthy.
I consider your unit a good choice for a weekender or summer vacation rig. Fuel prices won't stop a serious buyer. If your unit is clean and well maintained, runs good and has good tires, you will not have any problems selling it for a fair value.
Best of luck.
PS: Run the generator once a month for about 30min under load. The A/C or a heater will do.
Old 04-01-2021, 07:11 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Last fall (2020) I went through the buy process. I ended up with a 2004 Itasca Meridian 34H. I was looking at gassers, and I saw some very nice units sold by individuals. In general, they averaged about 1/3 less than dealer prices.

For me, the propulsion motor fuel is just one part of the equation. Condition, floor plan, previous owner, pet history if known (I have bad allergies), and so on were all factored.

Now I have a slight bias to diesel. I own 4 cars, which are diesel, and tractors, about the only things power items are chain saws and lawn mowers.

I ended up primarily using the online listings. If you PM me, we can set up 10 minutes and I can overview some specifics and price points, which might help you out.

Best.
Mongobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:50 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

There are all kinds of people, in all kinds of financial positions out there. There's a market for older gas motorhomes. But quality determines price. And spending the time to clean and prep your unit, for eye appeal is a must, not just for best price; but to get anyone to come look at it.
I am retired, and we live on Social Security, and have limited savings. I'm clearly on the low end as a buyer. I bought my 2005 Sightseer last year. It had low miles, and was in wonderful condition inside and out. I did replace it's 15 year old tires, the fan belt, and changed the oil.
I had been fascinated with the diesels; especially the Mercedes with what looked like amazing MPG. They were going to be a financial stretch, but I consoled myself that in a few years, having purchased a couple year old model; when I quite using it, I'd recoup a lot of the money because of high resale value.
What finally soured me was when I stopped at the Mercedes service department for a reality check. He explained the required alternating A and B annuals and what they would cost; whether I drove 500 miles, or 10,000 miles, as well as mandatory special filters and such with Mercedes grade prices. Now for the upwardly mobile, with maybe dual incomes, this is not a serious problem. But for me, that cost is a bridge to far.
My now purchased gas rig gets 8 MPG. But I can buy a lot of gas for that $1,000 annual service at Mercedes, and it's pay as you go. And next week I'm rolling the beast out after checking the tires are up, and giving it a wash. That's a gas rig for you.
If I win the lottery, which might be a problem since I don't buy the ticket; I'll sell my Sightseer and buy the much cooler Mercedes based B plus.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote