Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I just talked with Winnebago service a few days ago regarding my noisy gas furnace. They gave me some good insight to what may be the issue. They suggested that I pull the cover off of the furnace and inspect the squirrel-cage blower on the left for mud dauber nests, etc. You can also move the blower by hand and see if it is worn at the bearing, etc. They said that if that all checked out then I would need to pull the unit. They gave me the right manual to download and I have the component parts explosion printed out. They said that the other (intake) squirrel-cage could also be the issue, but that needed the unit to be removed. Sounds like an easy enough job from their description. They did say to not remove the shroud, but just the unit by disconnecting the gas, electric and pulling the one or two screws in the front mount. It should slide right out. I am going to give it a go and I will report back.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I just talked with Winnebago service a few days ago regarding my noisy gas furnace. They gave me some good insight to what may be the issue. They suggested that I pull the cover off of the furnace and inspect the squirrel-cage blower on the left for mud dauber nests, etc. You can also move the blower by hand and see if it is worn at the bearing, etc. They said that if that all checked out then I would need to pull the unit. They gave me the right manual to download and I have the component parts explosion printed out. They said that the other (intake) squirrel-cage could also be the issue, but that needed the unit to be removed. Sounds like an easy enough job from their description. They did say to not remove the shroud, but just the unit by disconnecting the gas, electric and pulling the one or two screws in the front mount. It should slide right out. I am going to give it a go and I will report back.
Joe
Old 03-08-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Joe;

Sorry to hear of your problem. I believe you have been given good advice. On a previous older motor home I had a similar problem and I had to replace the motor due to bad bearings. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Joe,
My Chieftain is an '04 like yours and probably of similar construction. What I found is construction debris all over in the blower area. I removed a 1.5" piece of Styrofoam out of the squirrel cage. There were tie-wraps and screws down there too. Seems like it is the lowest possible point of collection as things get sucked in during operation.

Look for one screw in the middle bottom about 2 inches in from the middle --- that's the only screw you have to take out to pull out all the internal assembly real easy.

While you have it out, check to make sure all the round 4" vent disks are in securely in the outer sheet metal shell. I had one fall out completely and caused the unit to suck in hot air instead of the return air. My unit overheated internally and set off the thermal protection switch. On the disks, just bend the tab a little and it will hold it in tight. Took 4 years for the 1st one to fall out.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hey, thanks, Duner. I will keep my eyes open for that.
Joe
Old 03-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Well, I pulled my furnace cover and determined that the blowers are quiet and the bearings are good.. The flame has a deep rumble, but I cannot fathom what makes the pulsating noise in the bedroom. Are there any "gates" or anything like that in-line that might make that noise? Outside the coach, with my ears next to the furnace, it isn't that noisy????
Joe
Old 03-27-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

You may find this thread helpful

Furnace Thread
Old 03-27-2008, 01:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks DancinCampers, I have already seen that one and I don't have any metallic clanging. Mine is more like a rhythmic or pulsating thrumming sound. At first I suspected it was the heat pumps, but they are actually quieter than the furnace. Hoped I would find a problem with the blowers, but it doesn't appear so. My next step is top pull it out completely and take it to a shop for inspection.
Joe