Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2006, 04:55 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I am getting a constant noise from a small pump/compressor/electric relay or some other gadget. It always runs when the key is in the on position.

I don't know how to insert a picture in this message or would do so.

The item is mounted on the firewall near the steering column, has small pneumatic (1/4") hoses coming out of it. There is a white plastic fitting that looks to me like it should have a piece of rubber tubing on it but I don't see any strays hanging in the area.

If you put your finger over the open fitting it has a small amount of suction. The only solution I've come up with so far is to turn the radio up.

How do you attach a photo and I'll do so.

The dealer said, "Yep, you've got something running there." Big help.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 04:55 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I am getting a constant noise from a small pump/compressor/electric relay or some other gadget. It always runs when the key is in the on position.

I don't know how to insert a picture in this message or would do so.

The item is mounted on the firewall near the steering column, has small pneumatic (1/4") hoses coming out of it. There is a white plastic fitting that looks to me like it should have a piece of rubber tubing on it but I don't see any strays hanging in the area.

If you put your finger over the open fitting it has a small amount of suction. The only solution I've come up with so far is to turn the radio up.

How do you attach a photo and I'll do so.

The dealer said, "Yep, you've got something running there." Big help.

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 05-27-2006, 05:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Doug
It maybe for the cruise control,to check,start the engine and see if the cruise control light is on if so turn it off and see if the noise goes away.There is also the air horn relay,two wires and one air hose connect to it.
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 05:42 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Doug, In order to attach a photo to a post it must first be on the internet somewhere with an http address...

When you have that accomplished,right click on the photo and "copy" the address for the photo.
After clicking on "reply" in this forum you will see a series of boxes across the top of the reply pane.
The second one from the right looks like a picture....click on it and "paste" the address you "copied" from your picture...

Click on "post now" and you're done!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 06:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Hi Doug,
Sounds like the electric vacuum pump that powers the air valves of the dash heating and cooling assembly. Our journey had this problem but only above a certain altitude. Look for one of the little hoses that may have come loose. It may be that the one fitting should be capped. Try plugging it and see if the pump stops running after a minute or so as it pumps a vacuum.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Doug,
I had the same problem, it was the vacuum pump! I removed it and checked it, was bad. To test pump,plug the vacuum side with your finger, the pump will normally build up vacuum and stop. Mine never quit. Replaced the pump and all is well. Good luck getting the pump out, only four screws but was fun. The white fitting is not supposed to have a hose on it, it's the air output.

2012 Honda CRV / M&G Braking
bill jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I had the same problem just after I replaced my air horn solonoid. By accident I knocked the vacuum tube off of the black plastic vacuum tank just above the compressed air hookup. Slipped it back on and all was fine.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:17 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I don't have a clue how to get the photo on the net with a http address.

I'll let the dealer worry about it when I put it in storage for the year around the middle of June. It's still under warranty.

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 05-27-2006, 09:21 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry if I seemed curt in the previous e-mail. The thing is falling apart around me.

The replacement Magellan was only programmed for Arkansas and they (Riverpark) were supposed to send me a new oned a week ago. Still haven't seen it.

The in-motion Kingdome took a dump too. They are supposed to be sending me a new digital display, transformer? and cable. I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't have gone with a 5th wheel or Motel 6!!!

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 05-27-2006, 09:26 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

CHippysgt,, know exactly how you feel,,been there, done that..Hang in there, things will get better and then you can look back and laugh at yourself about how worked up you got...JIM
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:10 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CHIPPYSGT:
I don't have a clue how to get the photo on the net with a http address.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sarge, if you want to try it, you can click on the "photo" link at the top of our pages and simply add the photo to the photo section here...The photo section requires you to join, but just use your screen name and password you have here....follow the instructions and then the copy and paste instructions from above...

OR......Send me the pics in an email and I'll hang them here for you.... [email protected]
Old 05-29-2006, 06:20 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

Sorry this photo is late....was sent to the approval que and just came out.

Old 05-29-2006, 06:35 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Sarge, pull the rubber hose off the left-hand output running parallel to the ground and with the key on, hold a finger over the black barb you have exposed. The pump should pull vacuum and quickly stop. If it keeps running the pump is bad. Other problems would be forward of that connection, either your vacuum reservoir (the black plastic ball) or the vacuum manifold under the dash. Good Luck and let us know what you find.

Old 05-29-2006, 10:30 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Bill,

The pump is good as it quits when I plug the connection that I removed the hose from.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Where under the dash is the manifold? I removed the raised part around the cockpit and can't see any tubing; it all appears to be electrical wiring.

2. If it's under the large flat part of the dash, how do you remove that? Do you unscrew all the vent screws?

3. Is there an outlet line from the air reservoir? If so, does it go up through the mounting bracket?

This is all under warranty but if it is simply a leak, I want to fix it before I go on my next trip in a couple of weeks. I won't be close to the dealer until I get back.

4. What does this vacuum pump operate?

I appreciate the help as I've been looking for reason behind this for a month off and on.

Thanks,

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 05-30-2006, 05:01 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

If you look underthe hood on the left side you will see a little control that the vaccuum hose goes to. It works the defrost/heat damper. There is a little 1" hose that connects it to the vaccuum line. Chances are that is cracked as this is a common problem. I found it on 3 rigs already.

Steve
Steve St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:23 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Doug,
The actual manifold for my rig was behind the dash, located near the heater defrost control knobs. The tubes coming out of the vacuum manifold look like slightly larger wires (12 gauge).The vacuum just operates the heat, air conditioning and vent flaps. If you have a leak it may still work but will cause the pump to run constantly. I have a schematic of the vacuum hookup will try to figure out how to post a pdf file. Hang in there. Sounds like your making progress. It's the little things that drive you nuts.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:13 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Bill J.,

Thanks for the help. There is a little line that comes out of the resevoir and disappears into the firewall with a bundle of electrical cables/wires.

I pulled that little tube off the resevoir and held my finger over the resevoir post. Pump stopped almost immediately. I trimmed the little rubber tube that goes onto the resevoir post in case it had a hairline split.

I think I can hear the leak under the dash behind the a/c control head but I can't get to it. It almost looks like the big flat dash is going to have to come out.

I've got the air going now as it is 101 outside today and humidity is almost that high. I'll let it cool off a bit and then take another look. If the big dash has to come out I'm going to let the dealer do it. I tend to think there is a little crack or split in the tubing or it is loose.

I'm thinking what I'll do is make sure I'm getting air to the dash. Then I'll pull the tube off the vacuum pump and put a piece of tape over the hole to stop the pump. That way the pump won't run all the time. The dealer can fix it when I put it back on his storage lot.

Do you think that will work?

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 05-30-2006, 12:03 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Been there...done that....I had the same problem and after following each line aft of the vacuum pump and disconnnecting them and placing my finger over the open line to see if the pump stopped I finally found the source of the leak....
It was the very thin line that connects to the open/close heater hose valve located on the left side of the fire wall where the heater hoses go into the heater core....The thin vacuum line (green plastic) is attached to the valve assembly with a small piece of rubber
vacuum hose. The rubber hose was split and allowed a loose connection...When I pulled the green plastic hose and plugged it, the pump stopped....
Also check the tiny plastic vacuum hose further left connecting to the plastic box that the heater core is in..I believe this line opens and closes the vent inside the box...This hose is attached in the same manner and has leaked for some people I know...good luck.....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:50 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

RKL,

I was out there today fumbling around and noticed the green tube you were talking about. It was just flapping in the breeze, attached to nothing but thin air. Plugged it off and the pump quit in about 5 seconds. Bought some windshield washer tubing and got that problem solved.

Thanks to all.

The little green tube is just about straight in front of the passenger's seat under the hood. Really pretty hard to miss as it is bright green and everything else is black.

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 06-25-2006, 03:04 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to St. Germain & RKL - I also had the air leak recently appear, I followed your directions and have fixed my problem. Thanks to this forum, the members, and the great information found here!

2005 Itasca Meridian 34H
aneitzert is offline   Reply With Quote