Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

No ladder for 31KE?

Hello all;

I'm purchasing a new 31KE and I thought the idea of a ladder was a good idea (it didn't have one on it), the salesman told me I could put one on.

They are prepping the coach for delivery and I got a call saying that if the ladder wasn't install at the factory, it doesn't have the support for it so they can't install it. However, they said I could buy a collapsible ladder, which they sell.

Trying to do a sanity check here to see if the guy is just trying to save some bucks and not install a ladder and have me buy one at his parts store or if the "lack of support" story is true. BTW, the salesman no longer works at the store.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

Any experience with the 3rd party ladders I can add?

Thanks.

- Robert
sdtrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdtrier View Post
Hello all;
I'm purchasing a new 31KE and I thought the idea of a ladder was a good idea (it didn't have one on it), the salesman told me I could put one on.
They are prepping the coach for delivery and I got a call saying that if the ladder wasn't install at the factory, it doesn't have the support for it so they can't install it. However, they said I could buy a collapsible ladder, which they sell.
Trying to do a sanity check here to see if the guy is just trying to save some bucks and not install a ladder and have me buy one at his parts store or if the "lack of support" story is true. BTW, the salesman no longer works at the store.
- Robert
Robert
In my experience very few "salesmen" care if what they say is true, (you have to determine what's true and what's not)!

I carry one of these in the trunk of my toad:
Telescopic Access 12.5 ft. Aluminum Telescopic Ladder with 300 lb. Load Capacity Type 1A Duty Rating-TL038BU at The Home Depot

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #3
Site Team

You can call Winnebago to verify. I did and they told be the same thing. I have a 26HE and a ladder can not be installed on the back.

2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE, 2014 Honda CRV with Roadmaster tow package, RVing on weekends and vacation since June 2012
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The mounting points for ladder need to be reinforced from the back.
The factory does this by fiberglassing in a piece of wood for the screws to tap into. I guess if you don't have a factory installed ladder you won't have the reinforcement either.
I just had the back cap removed from my coach for some other work and looked at this very issue.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Excellent. Thanks for the feedback and recommendations.

- Robert
sdtrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Same here except mine fits in a basement compartment. My coach has a ladder on the back but I never use it. The telescoping ladder is much more useful and safe since I can position it anywhere around the coach and very often work on stuff without having to climb up on the roof. One word of advice: cut some sections of pipe insulation or pool noodle and attach them to the rungs where the ladder touches the side of the coach. It's very easy to mark the paintwork (voice of experience).
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I don't have the owners manual in front of me, but I think its says for the Vista line, the owner should not go on the roof, it's for service techs only. Hence, no ladder.

This never was a problem for me as I never trusted a ladder on previous rigs that no sales person or tech could tell me how much weight they were certified to hold. I never wanted to hear a loud crack while I was half way up.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
Site Team

At least for the Vista 26HE, I called Winnebago and they confirmed that the roof would support the weight of a person.

2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE, 2014 Honda CRV with Roadmaster tow package, RVing on weekends and vacation since June 2012
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Judge View Post
I don't have the owners manual in front of me, but I think its says for the Vista line, the owner should not go on the roof, it's for service techs only. Hence, no ladder.

This never was a problem for me as I never trusted a ladder on previous rigs that no sales person or tech could tell me how much weight they were certified to hold. I never wanted to hear a loud crack while I was half way up.
The 2015 Vista owners manual covers the roof ladder (if equipped) starting on page 12-10. There is a warning to stay off the roof because is can be slippery (not because it can't handle the weight). The ladder weight limit is listed at 225 pounds.

All current Vista models have a standard roof ladder except the 26HE and 31KE.
HOHDR is offline   Reply With Quote