Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-23-2006, 08:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have been waiting since last May to post this. After buying our new Voyage in April, I drove it under a railroad trestle that was tooooo low. Ouch! It ripped off both air conditioners and damaged the roof. Advised by the dealer to take it to a shop in Elkart, off we went when the weather was sunny. Mind you, there are two holes in the roof now. They were sure that they could fix it. My husband told them he thought it would take a whole new roof. Our insurance company National Interstate sent an adjuster to look at it. He told them that it could be fixed by just putting on a new skin. The shop did not think that it was the best idea, but, of course, the adjuster should know.They ordered a new skin. It came in a they put it on. Whe the airconditioners were put on, it sunk in several inches under the front air conditioner. There was structural damage around the airconditioner hole. In the meantime, we have canceled many trips, but, we waited patiently. When the shop told the insurance company about this, they said that they never sent an adjuster. (On checking, he was now working for someone else) Gee, how did he know it was damaged??? Did he just hear by mental telepathy???So now they sent another adjuster and they said, "Well, we would never have advised it to be fixed that way". Meanwhile it is now October. We have reservations we were hoping to keep. The man that owns the shop told us that no matter what the insurance does, he will make it right. He has bent over backwards to fix it correctly. After ordering a whole new roof and putting it on, it is just like brand new again. But, the man that owns the shop has been cheated out of a total of 7,000 dollars. The insurance company paid some but not all. Now the shop has had to eat $7,000.00. If they had sent someone that REALLY knows rv's this would have been done with a long time ago. They do not want to admit that they were wrong. I really feel sorry for the shop owner and will do what ever I can to help him recover what he has spent on the coach. Our coach is now ready to be picked up and it has only been NINE months getting fixed thanks to the insurance company.
Chandler Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have been waiting since last May to post this. After buying our new Voyage in April, I drove it under a railroad trestle that was tooooo low. Ouch! It ripped off both air conditioners and damaged the roof. Advised by the dealer to take it to a shop in Elkart, off we went when the weather was sunny. Mind you, there are two holes in the roof now. They were sure that they could fix it. My husband told them he thought it would take a whole new roof. Our insurance company National Interstate sent an adjuster to look at it. He told them that it could be fixed by just putting on a new skin. The shop did not think that it was the best idea, but, of course, the adjuster should know.They ordered a new skin. It came in a they put it on. Whe the airconditioners were put on, it sunk in several inches under the front air conditioner. There was structural damage around the airconditioner hole. In the meantime, we have canceled many trips, but, we waited patiently. When the shop told the insurance company about this, they said that they never sent an adjuster. (On checking, he was now working for someone else) Gee, how did he know it was damaged??? Did he just hear by mental telepathy???So now they sent another adjuster and they said, "Well, we would never have advised it to be fixed that way". Meanwhile it is now October. We have reservations we were hoping to keep. The man that owns the shop told us that no matter what the insurance does, he will make it right. He has bent over backwards to fix it correctly. After ordering a whole new roof and putting it on, it is just like brand new again. But, the man that owns the shop has been cheated out of a total of 7,000 dollars. The insurance company paid some but not all. Now the shop has had to eat $7,000.00. If they had sent someone that REALLY knows rv's this would have been done with a long time ago. They do not want to admit that they were wrong. I really feel sorry for the shop owner and will do what ever I can to help him recover what he has spent on the coach. Our coach is now ready to be picked up and it has only been NINE months getting fixed thanks to the insurance company.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:27 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Sounds like national interstate is an insurance company to avoid in the future.

BTW, what is the name of the repair shop? They sound like a good honest shop worthy of your praise and our future consideration if I need any work done.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

National Interstate would never get my business.
The shop owner did the right thing altho something seems amiss here. An adjuster should have given him paperwork and if he knew it was not the right way he could have argued at that time to do it right.
Now he should be able to sue to get his money back, with proper documentation.
Glad your ordeal is over. The moral of this
story do not go under low bridges...
PS: Watch out for trees,,Don't back into them as I did. Always have a spotter out back.. Jim
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The name is All Brands. They have been the best. The owner has picked up our coach and will bring it back. We are three hours away too!
Old 02-23-2006, 08:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Believe me, I felt so stupid after doing such a dumb thing. But, about a month ago, I saw that there has been another coach under there. There were two new air conditioners in the ditch! I am not alone!
Old 02-23-2006, 09:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Insurance Companies are regulated by the state in which the business was written. By viewing your posting, it looks like you are from Indiana. The website for filing a complaint against your insurance company is http://www.state.in.us/idoi/complaint_form/index.html. If you feel that the insurance company has not treated you in accordance with the insurance policy you purchased, you have a right to complain to the Indiana Department of Insurance and they will review your allegations and perhaps assist you. Upon filing you complaint, I can assure you that your insurance company will be paying close attention to your claim. Good luck
Old 02-23-2006, 11:09 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Chandler,WELCOME to the iRV2 forums.....

Don't worry about the "accident" as that's why they call them accidents.
The good thing is that no one was hurt....

As my Dad used to tell me,and seemingly I'm now telling my kids they make
those vehicles every day...

Glad to hear you've obtained at least somewhat of a happy ending.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I guess we were lucky. We have national interstate insurance and they fixed out coach with no questions. I cut a corner a tad too close and put a large gouge in the side fron the slide back. Had it fixed and and can't tell that it happened.