Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Newbies need some help

Three days ago we picked up our new (to us) 03 Journey in Phoenix. We are driving home to Florida. So far all is great except we do not know how to lower the leveling jacks. The last owner did not leave instructions so we don't know what to do. We have an HWH Hydraulic system. Any help would be appreciated. Last night I was able to dump air, but I'm not even sure how that happened............Thanks in advance
Marinelender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

If you were able to turn the system on by pushing the top left button labeled 'HYD LEVEL', then push it a 2nd time to auto level. You can manual level by hitting that button once, then the dump switch. Then hit the forward arrow to lower jacks on whatever yellow light is lit. The red lights indicate when a jack is out of its stowed position and it is stored when the red light is out. The jacks move in pairs. Either front jacks, side jacks (left or right) or rear jacks so you don't twist the body.

When you store the jacks by hitting the store button, leave the system on until only the travel light is on (takes about 7 minutes) to completely stow the jacks and shut off automatically which also closes all the valves so the jacks don't deploy while you are on the road.
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks

Thanks for your reply...before I make a mistake, the buttons on our pad read as follows:

Upper left: On

Directly below that: Store

Bottom Left: Off

To the right of the bottom left: Picture of a rabbit

Should I still use your instructions?
Old 07-12-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinelender View Post
Thanks for your reply...before I make a mistake, the buttons on our pad read as follows:

Upper left: On

Directly below that: Store

Bottom Left: Off

To the right of the bottom left: Picture of a rabbit

Should I still use your instructions?

Sounds like you have the 310 system which is not auto leveling but requires the operator to operate the system and use the lights as a guide.

Basic operation is as follows:

1. when you want to dump air and start the leveling process, hit the 'On' button. That will dump air (you must either have the engine running or the key in the accessory position if engine is off). HWH recommends you operate the HWH system to level and deploy slides with your big motor running to maintain adequate voltage to the pump.

2. as air dumps and the coach settles on the suspension, yellow light/s will come on for the side/s or front/rear that are lowest.

3. always level side to side first, then front to rear. So, if the yellow light on the curb side is on, push the up arrow on that side to 'raise' that side (you are actually lowering the jacks - red lights will come on for each jack as it lowers) until that yellow light goes out.

4. push the up arrow on the opposing side long enough for the jacks to lower to the ground....you will feel the coach raise just a bit but don't raise it so much that you lose your level.

5. once you have it level side to side (no yellow lights on either side), raise either the front or rear if there is a yellow light for either of those locations. Try not to park in a situation where you have to raise the rear so much that you get the rear wheels off the ground. I always scope out my chosen parking spot so I will need to raise the front and not the rear (unless you get lucky and have a perfectly level spot).

6. once level, you can deploy your slides.

7. as previously noted, after you retract your slides, you can hit the store button which will raise all four jacks. Let the system stay on until all the red lights go out which means your jacks are fully retracted and let the system shut off on its own.

9. pushing the rabbit button expedites the filling of the air bags after you start the engine so you can get underway. I always let the air gauges get to at least 120 before I push that button.

Here are the abrigded instructions for the 310 system including diagram of the panel you are describing:

http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml23253.pdf
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Do you happen to have a "joystick" system? Normally located to the left of the driver's seat on the floor. Three individual "Joysticks." Front one controlls the front jacks, rear controls the rear jacks. Push the front lever forward, the rear lever backwards, then move the center lever either to the right, left, forward or backward. The yellow lights will go off as the rig levels. This is strictly a manual system and what I have described is very basic operation. Would have the same switch panel that you describe. I think I have the mnaual for such a system if that is what you have.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

newbies seeking help

Dear SMLRanger:
Thanks for your advice,especially the diagram, after three nights of sleeping lopsided, we figured it out with your help.
Mrs Marine Lender thanks you. Just so you know, the previous owners did not leave all the material they needed to in the Winnebago manual bag and the leveling manual was one was missing. We have been owners for four days. I know this will only get better!
Old 07-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinelender View Post
Dear SMLRanger:
Thanks for your advice,especially the diagram, after three nights of sleeping lopsided, we figured it out with your help.
Mrs Marine Lender thanks you. Just so you know, the previous owners did not leave all the material they needed to in the Winnebago manual bag and the leveling manual was one was missing. We have been owners for four days. I know this will only get better!

Happy to be of assistance. I can't tell you how much the great folks on this forum have helped me over the years. Don't hesitate to come back whenever you have questions and to share your RV experiences with us all. The Journey is a very popular coach and there are a bunch of Journey/Meridian owners here.

Also, you can download most of the manuals for things on your rig...appliances, your basement AC unit, etc. So, if the black bag is too light, you can load that thing up with stuff .
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Marinelender...........Do not run your refrigerator if your coach is not level. It's ok when you are traveling but it should be level when parked.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:10 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Marinelender...........Do not run your refrigerator if your coach is not level. It's ok when you are traveling but it should be level when parked.
Modern RV refrigerators have to be out of level by a substantial amount to affect performance. That means AFAIK, more than one bubble, meaning sso far out, you wouldn't be comfortable.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

hamguy... What is comfortable to some may not be comfortable to others. I have replaced a number of cooling units (not mine)because they turned on their modern refrigerators while they were loading their moterhomes for a trip while it sat in the driveway off level. Eventually it cought up with them and they had to replace the cooling units. This doesn't mean that every time you stop at a red light you should turn off the refer. Best advice...Use common sense and keep your refigerator level
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:48 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

you can download the HWH manual here

Winnebago HWH Operators Manual
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Glad you got that figured out. Just remember that the yellow light means THE COACH is LOW so the UP arrow means 'raise the coach'. Go left to right and front to back to level. Then repeat to 'set' all four jacks. Some never trust the yellow lights but rather use level(s) to level the coach. Bubble level(s) somewhere near the center of the coach and/or refrigerator seems to be the most popular location. Some set level by bathroom door but that is another discussion. If you want to calibrate the HWH level (yellow lights) there is a good discussion on here on the wheres and hows to do that.

It is a bummer that previous owner didn't leave all the materials. Don't forget to go to the Winnebago website and register as a second owner. Check out a WIT membership too.

Congratulations on you new coach!
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:42 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Hi ML:

A cool little tool is the lighted bubble level from Camping world. It is shaped like a star with four lights, one on each end. It is very sensitive. I think $39.00 rvbucks.

I put mine on the floor in the middle of the coach, turn it on and it will show where I am high or low. I adust my jacks accordingly. It seems to be more accurate than my bubble system up front on my HWH system.

Just an FYI....

Regards... Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Some systems have a manual DUMP button. Other than that do what Smlranger says and you will be ok..YES YES YES, download the manuals and fill up that bag. Call Winnie and they can furnish you with pages for weight and what equipment you have on the coach or you can go to their website and with the Winnie Serial # you can get specific info on your coach...Be Safe and good luck

Your Journey should give you many hours of joy. I love mine.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

From one newbee to another. Welcome to the BEST lifestyle. We live two miles from you. Give a holler. Right now we are in Alabama
Jill and Steve
Old 10-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

We put the bubble in the frige and level to it as not all friges are installed level with the coach.