Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2006, 07:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Everyone,

I'm really interested in buying a Winnebago... specifically, I like the older model Spirit 24v with the dinette/sofa that converts to a bed in the back corner. They are proving to be really hard to find on the used market.

Any idea why Winnebago stopped offering this design - or at least this option for the rear corner bed - on newer models?

If you need to see which model I'm referring to...

interior photo:
DRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Everyone,

I'm really interested in buying a Winnebago... specifically, I like the older model Spirit 24v with the dinette/sofa that converts to a bed in the back corner. They are proving to be really hard to find on the used market.

Any idea why Winnebago stopped offering this design - or at least this option for the rear corner bed - on newer models?

If you need to see which model I'm referring to...

interior photo:
Old 08-01-2006, 07:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I can't say for sure, but am guessing that there was not sufficient demand for that floor plan to justify production.

Our first MH had a similar floor plan to what you are looking for, while it was convenient for the most part, I sure got to listen to a lot of griping from DW about making that corner bed. My biggest complaint was the short chassis was a bear to handle even though it was convenient for getting in and out of places my current rig wouldn't want to go.

If ours was made with any quality, we probably would still have it and I would have graduated to weak batteries in the hearing aids!

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Winnebago builds to order ...ie. they do not build anything that has not already been ordered (could be customer order, or could be just a dealer order for stock). So the simple answer is, they did not receive enough orders to keep building that floor plan.

Why weren't there enough orders? ...I suspect the odd shaped bed put people off as it would be hard to get sheets to fit, hard to make, and a problem for two taller folks to sleep in.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

DRabbit: Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you with us and hope you will visit often and share your RV experiences.

We had a TT years ago that had the corner bed. My wife hated it! We traded it very quickly on something else.

As already indicated, floorplan was probably not popular.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Why weren't there enough orders? ...I suspect the odd shaped bed put people off as it would be hard to get sheets to fit, hard to make, and a problem for two taller folks to sleep in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not an odd shape (I don't believe). It converts into an RV Queen Size Bed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We had a TT years ago that had the corner bed. My wife hated it! We traded it very quickly on something else. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The corner bed is a trade off... I know it will be a pain in the you-know-what. I was thinking though, depending on storage available on the unit itself, we could just keep one of those foam mattress toppers rolled up with a fitted sheet already on it, and just lay it on top of the bed.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:24 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We used one of the sleeping bags with the detachable sheets when we had our corner bed, still keep it in the MH for a quick make up on the sofa sleeper.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:50 PM   #8

MTC, Eating next to the bathroom is not one of my favorite past times??
no18yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:00 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Making the bed is difficult and climbing over the bed partner to get up to go to the bathroom is a pain or gets to be a pain real quick.

I think too, if you measure hte bed it is more like a standard double bed. I've never owned one, but have talked to people who have and they all didn't like it for at least one of the reasons that have been listed by me or other forum members.

Just looking at the photo the fridge is probably 3' deep, plus there is about a foot of the bathroom sticking out past the fridge. That's four feet taken away from the inside width of probably 96". 96 minus 48 = 48". I just masured my queen in my house bedroom. It's 58" approximately. I think you're looking at a standard double bed in the motorhome. Storage of the rolled up foam cover would probably present a problem too. They take up a lot of room in a Class C. Had one in my 24' class C and got rid of it for the sttorage reason.

Good luck.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote