Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2019, 11:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

new winnebago with this many issues

Got a new winnebago intent ,picked up jan 7th,I have had so many issues ,this is getting ridiculous.What has been repaird so far,leak dripping down on front dash,passenger seat didnt swivel,decal on side replaced.Exsisting issues now dash ac not working,roof ac not working,front grille has come loose,motor cover (dog box) comes flying of while running 65 mph yesterday,scared the crap out of me.Both tanks leaked out before first camping trip that they said was full when i picked it up in jan.Tell me the grille is held on by a 2 part epoxy and if i fix it would void the warranty,cant get my coach in shop til june 24th,told them i guess the whole grille can fall of and tear up more stuff before it gets in shop.Is this normal for something brand new,2018 with 1900 miles,im getting really frustrated.
BROAD ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Maybe tell someone besides whoever you're dealing with?

Like Winnebago Industries Service Administration at (800) 537-1885 or [email protected] - include/have access to your VIN and Winnebago Serial Number when you contact them.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #3

We looked at the new Winnebago models and didn't like the look of them (Vita and Intent). And we've looked at other manufacturers and their models are not any better. At this point, we're sticking with our current rig and unless things improve won't be getting another one. I think that we're going to opt-out when that time comes. It's a sad state of affairs...
ddaudelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Buy a notebook and keep a running record of your experience, writing down names and titles of each person you interact with dealers and winnebago service administration. Don't be shy about asking to speak to management at Winnebago Service Administration. At some point you may want to ask Winnebago to take back the RV and give you a different new one. That may get their attention to find a dealer who will take in your RV immediately and resolve the remaining issues. If it's the dealer who sold you the RV that is not giving you prompt warranty service and Winnebago can't resolve it you may have a case you can win in Small Claims Court or you may have rights under Florida Consumer Protection law.

A lot of people take their RVs to Factory Service in Forest City IA to get their major warranty issues resolved but that's a long way for you to go, even if you were able to get Winnebago to agree to pay all your costs for the round trip.

Hope it works out for you. Good luck.

Good luck.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:18 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

In the world of RV's it seems to be less issues than many and less than some. Welcome to the club
Old 05-16-2019, 02:19 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

should have read more than some ....
Old 05-22-2019, 04:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaudelin View Post
We looked at the new Winnebago models and didn't like the look of them (Vita and Intent). And we've looked at other manufacturers and their models are not any better. At this point, we're sticking with our current rig and unless things improve won't be getting another one. I think that we're going to opt-out when that time comes. It's a sad state of affairs...
I know that this site is for Winnie owners, mostly, and I frequent a lot of sites where I might gain information that will be helpful, or at least expand my knowledge base.

That said, my parents always bought new and dealt with warranty issues, and I've always bought used and dealt with things that come with the program. It isn't normal when my 16 year old coach runs like a top because whatever has burped got fixed, and by this time I get maybe 5 honey-do's a trip..
and somebody with a new coach has to deal with much more than a new-coach smell.

If somebody pays high dollars for something that begins breaking right off the bat, then my opinion would say to sell it at a loss, take the licking, and then buy something 15 years old that has been built better to start with, and taken care of all along. It's no fun to go through what the OP is going through, my condolences.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:02 PM   #8
Angry Fuse 23A owner

WBGO Not what is used to be

We purchased a 2017 Fuse and discovered several leaks. One developed from a poorly sealed front cap and another which I believe was there when the unit was water tested at the factory. WBGO offered no help after repeated requests. Additionally the unit has a significant design issue that requires owners to modify the rear suspension to prevent the coach from dragging the rear end while driving over small dips or bumps. And the placement of the generator centered under the coach was someone's idea of a joke. It makes user maintenance impossible unless you have a truck lift or bay. There's also been an outstanding recall on the solar connector in the utility bay for several months now with no new word from the company. All in all I would warn anyone from buying WBGO.
SFC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GreatWhite Send a message via Skype™ to GreatWhite
Mike, I think I'd fully agree with you. Just as bad.. CW, who used to be a name of service has pretty well dropped that. I can NEVER get service to return a call.. no matter what facility I try. I had to resort to calling the honcho at CW. They gave the service manager a call. They replied within an hour and were VERY short with me for going "over their heads" Spend over $100K on a motorhome and one would expect service. Nah, once they got the $$ they are no longer helpful.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:24 PM   #10
Site Team

As was suggested, call Winnebago ASAP. Keep a list. Complain to WBGO and to the manager of the selling dealership. Don’t take no for an answer and keep going up the chain until you get results. If you don’t you will be the loser in this scenario.

Taking it to the factory in Iowa is, sadly, the best course of action. Most of have done it and been satisfied.

The Intent was designed and built to a rock bottom price point. That doesn’t mean it’s acceptable for all that purchase one to expect a lot of problems. But it does explain some of the realities of the situation... unfortunately.

Also unfortunately this is not limited to WBGO. Far too many manufacturers are playing this exact same game.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:29 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC Mike View Post
WBGO offered no help after repeated requests. Additionally the unit has a significant design issue that requires owners to modify the rear suspension to prevent the coach from dragging the rear end while driving over small dips or bumps. And the placement of the generator centered under the coach was someone's idea of a joke. It makes user maintenance impossible unless you have a truck lift or bay. There's also been an outstanding recall on the solar connector in the utility bay for several months now with no new word from the company.
Yep, similar issues with our new 2017 PASEO and same dismal response from WBGO. Man, Winnie has so slipped with QC in the last 20 years.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:12 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

We had a 3 page list of failures in 2016 3 months after we got home with the new rig. WBGO kept pushing us to go to the dealer for repairs (600 miles of driving for us round trip after leaving the rig there)

Finally after chasing repairs for 18 months back and forth to the dealer (3 months after warranty expired) we drove to Forrest City and parked in front of the factory for some significant problems. Didn't have an appointment, they had the rig in the shop within 30 minutes and all items fixed in 5 hours . We returned home (1100 miles each way) and have not had a problem since. Best trip we ever had to finally get resolution to the issues.

As I recall we were limited to the 7 most critical items. At the time we could only come up with 6 bad ones as we had whittled the list down by then. It may be different if your rig is under warranty still.

While we drove up and were able to get right in we were lucky-- can't always do that. But they do make appointments. I've heard there are certain times they don't take drop ins without appointments so it pays to check. They fixed it rapidly and with finality.

The lesson for me was to quit working with the dealer and take it to the place and folks that built it when you have bad things go wrong. It was painful taking the time and driving the distance to get there. In the end I wish we had done it a year sooner. It may be hard to get away to make that run but it may be worth it to you in the long term.

Since those fixes we've been relatively glitch free.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:07 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I hear you...I purchased one too...The 31p...Leaks in the lower compartment, step moved in and out by itself going down the road, sometimes the door will close ok and sometimes not, generator took a dump, they had to remove and repair but only after I took it elsewhere to Onan, dealer prep was a joke, take your F53 chassis over 200 miles away to have it looked at for a noise underneath. They told me there was no USB port on the m9nitor in the dash. I connected it and the aux port. All work fine now. So my suggestion is...learn to fix it yourself.. The dealers are useless. They never called me back about a steering stabilizer... I’m now installing stabilizer, front sway bar and rear sway bar...I’m sucking it up and gonna make the best of it..I’ll fix anything I can without a lot of trouble...I get no help from dealer or Winnebago so I’ll never purchase another from either one....
sammax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:55 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

We will be very glad to be rid of our 2017 Vista 27PE. We love the F53 chassis, the Triton V10 and Allison trans, but have had problems too numerous to mention with everything WBGO.
ddbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:58 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Bought a brand new 25RKS fifth wheel. Love the lay out, but it didn't come with many, many issues. Seems Winnebago doesn't have a quality control department. Many of the issues we fixed our-self. Wasn't worth the hassle to go through Winnebago and the wait to have warranty work done. Dealers will lye to you just to make a sale. Long story short, will never buy new again...or Winnebago!
winnienorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:34 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

last fall we bought a brand new 25rks and were so excited to get it , loved the floor plan and for 2 people it is great , what is not so great is we didn't get to use it bc we bought it in October so it was put away in storage , we brought it out end of January to head south to disney with our kids , we live in Ontario and got as far as Kentucky , pulled off for the night and do you think the heater would work ( which we did use once at home before we left ) no way it was click on , click off so thank heavens we brought a space heater for the night , my husband found a loose wire the next day and thought it was repaired , it was warm in the south so didn't use the heat but then we got home again into storage pulled it out , once again no heater working , my husband who is very handy and we do own a vehicle repair shop said it appeared that the heater had just been slammed into the spot so now with some fixing from hubby its working but with new we should not have to do that .
Neverest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:57 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Forest City is the best place to get repairs done. We called in Jan '19 and got an appointment for Apr 24th of this year. They took most of the day but completely resolved the 3 issues on our list to our satisfaction. This wasn't our first visit...we bought our new '17 31D in Oct 16. This was visit #3! So we're ready for the '19 camping season and hoping for the best. If I could get down to 1 service call per year, I would be happy. We really enjoy the lifestyle so we're soldiering on. The overall quality of the '17 31D is great. I'm hoping the bugs are worked out now and we can enjoy our camper. We have bought used in the past and that didn't solve the maintenance issue.
HWH jack issues have another option, go direct to HWH in Iowa. The dealer or an independent RV tech are other options. We're hoping for 15 years of this lifestyle as we are semi-retired now and really have large chunks of time to explore and relax.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:08 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

I would caution all readers that Forest City factory service ALSO has problems. Took my rig there last May for several simple issues plus the only big issue...a problem of the extended bedroom slide moving in 4" every once in a while while parked. They made it worse because after they worked on it, it started moving OUT 4" while driving.

When they finished the job I got charged for 2 hydraulic valves at $270 each telling me that they had to be replaced in pairs, they handed me a sheet from HWH at the same time which specifically stated that after the warranty period, only changing one was needed. I failed to read that sheet at the time. Apparently they didn't either. Aren't they suppose to know this stuff? So they got that wrong and it cost me $270 plus that extra labor. But that's forgivable, but the slide moving out while driving is still the biggest issue.

There were a couple other things they had trouble with as well so all in all, I decided to never go back. From now on, I'll take my chances at a shop where I'm allowed to interact with the techs and occasionally observe the work. Can't do that in FC.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:03 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Another advantage to going to Forest City is that Winnebago will cover certain issues after the official warranty period. I consider this outstanding customer service, although it is not guaranteed. Our transfer switch failed (beyond 1 year warranty) (lost all power) and we went in without an appointment. They had it fixed at no charge in under an hour. On the most recent visit, there was no charge to fix our slide, 3rd year of ownership.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:31 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Industry wide problem, QC, all forums of all kinds of RVs say the exact same things. 20 years of doing this, no exception. When I had to visit the folks in Forest City once I was pleased, they did good work, great experience. Always remain civil and polite, usually service people will respond better than a bad approach. If you can and are able - fix everything yourself, that way you know it is done right. Warranty? Maybe it exists in some cases, I've had good luck and bad luck, just depends. If you get a really bad rig sometimes you just dump it and move on - life is short.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago