Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New to us question

My wife and I just bought and drove home our first motorhome, an Adventurer 35b. From searches on this helpful forum I was able to find out that the water fill by the door is a gravity fill location. My question is this gravity fill susposed to have a cap, plug or filter? I opened the access door and nothing was there and I suspect it should have something.
Thank you for the help
sanger351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to the forum.

Our previous motorhome had a similar setup. There was no cap, plug or filter. I think it's normal. Our current coach fills only through the city water inlet, with one valve switched to fill the tank. There is a cap in this location.

You may have a second way to fill the tank through the city water connection.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum!!
Quote:
a cap, plug or filter
Are you saying there is NOTHING inside the door? ...or are you saying the gravity fill tube is OPEN with no covering ??
Old 05-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

When I open the door nothing is there except the hose going to the tank. Seems like dirt, etc. will get into the fresh water tank through the sides of the plastic door.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

When the door is closed you need not worry about "stuff" getting in. WE welcome you to our world of RVing and this forum. You have questions someone will have answers. Consider exploring the Winnebago Itasca Travelers (WIT), a travel club sponsored by the Winnebago factory.

Don, WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:31 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

To expand on my earlier post, I think your setup is like our 2003 was. On the passenger or curb side, there was a locking door with a place to put a hose to fill the fresh water tank. On the driver's or street side, there was the city water inlet, which had a valve to switch from tank fill to normal water supply.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanger351 View Post
When I open the door nothing is there except the hose going to the tank. Seems like dirt, etc. will get into the fresh water tank through the sides of the plastic door.
On the inside of the door there should be a round flat rubber, or plastic surface that mates with the fill tube when the door is closed.

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Dee View Post
On the inside of the door there should be a round flat rubber, or plastic surface that mates with the fill tube when the door is closed.

Ron
On our 2005 Suncruiser we have only a lockable door to enclose the water fill tube. I've never had a concern about anything getting in there.

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

There is usually a cap on the gravity fill,, Some time in your travels drive past an RV dealer or a Camping World and pull in, Chat with someone in company uniform in the isles or at the parts/service counter and they can likely tell at a glance if there is supposed to be a cap and if so hand you one, a few bucks.

Page 2: If all else fails there are assorted "universal" Plugs and stoppers that cn be used. You can find those (inspection plugs) at hardwre stores.

Note that the tank has to be vented.. On my coach that is a different opening in the same compartment, it is smaller (perhaps 1/2 inch or less) and has a screen over it.. If you don't have one of those, then the fill line doubles as the vent so fully sealing it is a no-no, again the store staff can assist you in identifying.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Welcome. We have a lockable door, but there is a screw on cap covering the opening. If it were gone or missing you would see plastic threads for the missing cap.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We bought our used 2004 Sightseer last year and have noticed that the carpet in the bedroom corner tends to get wet occasionally. I have traced every hose under the bed and cannot find any obvious leaks. After reading this forum I'm beginning to wonder if I'm missing the obvious. The water seems to be in the same rear portion below the gravity fill door. When I fill the fresh water tank using the city water inlet I haven't opened the gravity fill door as was mentioned in these posts. I completely missed this step! Is it possible that I may be forcing water back up the vent tube during the filling process, thus causing the water to go up to the hatch door, and then through the vertical opening in the hatch assembly where the locking tab slips into when locked? The hatch doesn't have a cap over the gravity fill tube but there is a half dollar size seal on the door that covers the fill tube when the door is shut and locked. Since the gravity tube is actually sealed shut when the door is locked, and the vent isn't, perhaps it may be getting some water forced into it. I would think that the overflow would prevent this but right now I'm grabbing at straws and some of the comments here might be answering my frustration with the leak. Incidentally, the exterior of the MH has been recaulked and pressure tested at the dealership and there are no obvious leaks from other sources.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

As stated above there should be a round rubber piece glued to the back of the door that seals the gravity fill when the door is closed. It is a good idea to open the gravity fill door when filling with city water valve.
If the pressure is high the regular vent tube can not allow the air to escape fast enough and the tank will be pressurized.
After filling the tank will then force water out of the vent tube until the tank goes back to it's original size.

There is some speculation the the tank can even be sucked to a smaller size and dump quite a lot of water.

Having the gravity fill door open adds some extra venting.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

My old winne has a door over the fill but no cap. There is a round piece of rubber attached to the door that seals the fill when closed.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

On closer inspection I do see a rubber pad on the inside of the lockable door. Thank you all for the quick and relevant responses.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

YEP, rubber pad and

I clean mine every month or so with some antibacterial soap dial, but thats just me. You probably have more of an issue (TBH) of the outside water hose, and the dirt it brings in if not cleaned prior to filling up the gravity feed.

I love that dirty water, oh boston your my home
Old 05-17-2011, 05:25 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanger351 View Post
On closer inspection I do see a rubber pad on the inside of the lockable door. Thank you all for the quick and relevant responses.
Thanks for the update, that's always nice

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote