Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2015, 06:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New to the RV Life

Hi to all members, I have been reading and looking at the Rv coahes for a while now 8 months, Have my search down to a 2002 journey 36 gd with 330 cat with 62,000 miles or a 2003 32td 300 Cummings with 52,000 miles, Both coaches have all the service records new tires and batteries the 32 is full paint, Our search and funds have me and the wife looking @ the 50,000 mark to stay on budget we have looked at private owners and we have found theses to coaches to meet are needs at that price. kids are gone just me and the wife and 2 dogs so the 32 would be big enough for us but will I regret not getting the 36 later, Also any one owned either model any insight would help thanks. We also looked at the 2002 2005 Monaco diplomat,ambass and Neptune with 3 and 4 slides. We have found lots of coaches that have been parked and not used or tagged for years at a time or owned for 3 years and now they want to sell the coach only put 3,000 miles on the coach,I was surprised how many coaches that are out there like that thanks forgot any info on either model to look for in problem areas to look for would help me to thanks
debay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

:welcome:

Glad to have you here with us. Sombody will soon come along and answer your questions.

Good luck with the search and Happy Trails!!!
Old 03-22-2015, 09:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Just something to look at in some of the coaches you are looking at, trailing arms. The fix can run around $5k if they have not been fixed.
Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

And best luck.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif[/SIGPIC]
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Yes, The holidays and Monaco's 4r bag systems have that problem, but I have my eyes on 2 Winnebago thanks
Old 03-22-2015, 10:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Good luck with your choices.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Choice

If it was me I would get the Journey 36 Does it have any slides? IMO 36 is a great size for a diesel not too short or long and Journey is a great unit.
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:01 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

It is a Cummins 300, not Cummings
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Ok thank you John
Old 03-23-2015, 02:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

debay - When we shopped for ours 11 yrs ago, we looked at the 32, 34, and 36. I like the shorter turning radius of the 32 and a bit better fuel mileage from the 300 Cummins. From my signature line you can see we ended up choosing the 36 and have loved everything about it for all these years.

The 34 and 36 will at least be prepped for a combo washer/dryer that can easily be added if not installed. That was a big item for my wife. They won't handle big loads, but she does a little bit every 3 or 4 days.

I really like full paint. I think it stays "newer" looking. I have an '05 Journey parked beside me in storage that doesn't have full paint. The decals are starting to peel and the fiberglass is dull - it just looks old. If you take good care of a non-full paint job, you can keep it looking good, but I still prefer the look of the paint.

We prefer the center bath. When you close off the doors, you have a big sidewall to sidewall room. The bath in the 32 is certainly adequate, but just not as much elbow room.

Nobody can really tell you what's best for you, except you... And, unfortunately, it's hard to know until you've spent some time living in it. Just try to decide what you think will be important and go for that. I don't think you'd be making a mistake with either of those units. The beauty of buying good used units of that age is that you could probably sell it for little loss and move on to something else, if you decide it's not for you.

Good luck and enjoy the process!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:59 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

tomsm makes a real good point -- you won't know until you make the plunge. Since you are buying used, you won't suffer a huge loss when (not if) you change your mind and want a different coach. In effect, until you use is for a while, you won't know what you want and what you don't, what is important and what is not.
So, give it your best shot, and jump on in -- the water's fine!
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by debay View Post
Hi to all members, I have been reading and looking at the Rv coahes for a while now 8 months, Have my search down to a 2002 journey 36 gd with 330 cat with 62,000 miles or a 2003 32td 300 Cummings with 52,000 miles, Both coaches have all the service records new tires and batteries the 32 is full paint, Our search and funds have me and the wife looking @ the 50,000 mark to stay on budget we have looked at private owners and we have found theses to coaches to meet are needs at that price. kids are gone just me and the wife and 2 dogs so the 32 would be big enough for us but will I regret not getting the 36 later, Also any one owned either model any insight would help thanks. We also looked at the 2002 2005 Monaco diplomat,ambass and Neptune with 3 and 4 slides. We have found lots of coaches that have been parked and not used or tagged for years at a time or owned for 3 years and now they want to sell the coach only put 3,000 miles on the coach,I was surprised how many coaches that are out there like that thanks forgot any info on either model to look for in problem areas to look for would help me to thanks
Last yr we bought a 2014 Journey-40 u with 4 slides, traded a National v10, We love this Coach, engine is a 380 Diesel pusher, big enough to pull 24 ft trailer with golf cart and 2 full dressers, should i ever get another one, i would get a Winnebago but i would go longer with 3 axles, I have no good reason why i would do this because there are only 2 of us and a poodle, I am a retired TT Driver so length don't bother me BUT IT WOULD BE SOMETHING TO KEEP IN MIND for non experienced drivers, The Grand Tour would be my choice next time if there is a next time. We have a very good Winnebago dealer near us in NE Pa, have had some warranty work done and pleased with Winnebago Warranty, Wish we would have done this 40 yrs ago
Old 03-24-2015, 05:12 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

New to Rv

My wife and I have had many RV's from MH to 5th wheel, travel trailer, Lance camper, and we have just purchased a 2006 Journey 36G with 52000 miles on it. We also looked at a 32ft. Journey, but heard that they had some "porpusing" effect when going down the road due to the short wheelbase and a heavy engine in the rear. I also chose the Winnebago du to the fact that Alot of the parts are still available through Winnebago and they are one of the remaining MH manufactureres that weathered the recession storm. We are very happy with our purchase. Good luck on your decision.
Flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:58 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

We purchased our 2003 Itasca Horizon 32TD about three years ago. This is our fifth Class A and second shortest. Our longest was a 38 ft. I think 34 ft. would be the ideal coach for us and the way we travel. That said, I love the 32 and the way it drives and handles. I know what porpoising is and have never experienced it with this coach. We get 10 mpg without even trying. The 300 hp Cummins provides plenty of power. One of my favorite things is going over the mountain passes around here. I just set the speed control and don't have to think about it. No manual downshifting is ever needed. I might lose about 2-3 mph climbing a long steep pass. It just does everything I want it to do and is totally maneuverable. I make u-turns all the time, drive through parking lots, parallel park, etc. It's easy. This coach has been mostly trouble free with the exception of a couple years ago when the engine started missing climbing hills. After three tries and many expensive fuel related parts replaced including the fuel pump, we have been trouble free ever since. There are two of us, no pets and we don't tow a vehicle. We also don't stay in one place for long so being able to move the coach about with ease is important to me and this 32 TD has been the answer.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:17 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

We bought our Journey 32t about a year ago. We love it. It is just the two of us. My Journey has the 275hp Cummins. Did fine in the Ozarks but would have liked the 300hp. We previously had a TT. The length works for our needs. If we were full timing I think we would like more room but think we should be good for several weeks. Only trouble with my coach has been a starter. I second the parts availability of Winnebago. Ordered a new skylight for the shower. No problem. Drives great. Haven't driven a larger coach but have driven many different trucks. Easy handling in RV parks. Very few park sites that we cannot fit into.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 03-25-2015, 06:35 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks For all the great info, Any thing to look for with 32td that should have been done or will need to be done. thanks
Old 03-25-2015, 09:31 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by debay View Post
Thanks For all the great info, Any thing to look for with 32td that should have been done or will need to be done. thanks
Nothing to be done specific to the 32TD that I can think of. There is always the windshield rust issue that Winnebago's are prone to, but that is not specific to the 32TD.

Just make sure everything works. Try all the switches, start the generator, run the furnace, heat-pump, water pump, the step cover, refrigerator, etc., etc., etc. You can spend days trying everything out and still miss something.

It has been my experience, just like I told my friend that bought our last coach, when you buy it something will be broken, something else will break on the way home and something else will break while it's sitting in the driveway. It's just the nature of RV's.