Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-24-2023, 04:01 PM   #1
rth
Winnebago Camper

New to diesel 2023 Winnebago View

We recently purchased a 2023 Winnebago View. New to the whole diesel fuel issue and have a few questions.

1) Do I need to put any fuel stabilizers in the tank when in storage or between trips?
2) A friend suggested using Bio Bro to keep fungus down. Do I need to use it?
3) I've heard that DEF has a shelf life. When putting in storage or between trips should I fill it up or leave it alone?

Thanks to all who share their knowledge.
rth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 06:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

1> No. I always fill up before hitting home. Our coach doesn't sit much at home.

2> No, Even for the winter months I don't add a stabilizer.

3> Yes, look for a date code and always check under the cap for a factory seal. No seal under the cap, put it back.

We're starting our third year in 2021 Navion, 19000 miles and no issues with the chassis. On your dash when you select DEF on the display on our coach there is a red line just below the halfway mark. That is when I know to add the next 2.5 gallon jug. Like anything else, keep it clean and full. A full tank has less air space therefore less space for moisture.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 10:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

From a company that makes DEF: https://azurechemical.com/blog/the-s...ife-of-adblue/
I don't uae additives when storing our diesel engine long term, I just fill the tank to the top and park our MH in the garage. I've never had a fuel or starting problem that way.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 04:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

DEF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rth View Post
We recently purchased a 2023 Winnebago View. New to the whole diesel fuel issue and have a few questions.

1) Do I need to put any fuel stabilizers in the tank when in storage or between trips?
2) A friend suggested using Bio Bro to keep fungus down. Do I need to use it?
3) I've heard that DEF has a shelf life. When putting in storage or between trips should I fill it up or leave it alone?

Thanks to all who share their knowledge.
We looked into #3 (DEF shelf life) when we bought our Class B diesel motorhome about 4 years ago. The prevailing wisdom on various forums was to purchase DEF at truck stops or high-volume fuel stations (Loves, Pilot / Flying J, etc.; Buc-ees comes to mind, if you're ever near one) under the theory that they turn over their inventory frequently so it should generally be pretty "fresh".

Don't know about your View, but our ERA will limit starts to 16 (I think) once the DEF drops below a certain level (I think it's something like 0.8 gallons, which is a bit under 20% of capacity). So we keep an eye on it, particularly as we are often in fairly remote areas where DEF may be a bit more difficult to find.

We've been surprised at how many places sell containers of DEF, so unless you're in the boonies for extended periods of time you shouldn't have much trouble finding it. In that case I would rummage through the containers and try to buy the newest stuff.

Tags
winnebago, diesel, view