Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I purchased a 2005 Winnebago with a dish installed. The name on the dish is "Wineguard". Can I use this dish with Dish Network?

The hitch on my 2005 Winnebago Aspect is rated at 5,000lbs. However, the manual indicates that anything over 1,000 lbs towed requires supplemental breaks. Is the coach prewired for supplemental breaks?
Old 04-18-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I purchased a 2005 Winnebago with a dish installed. The name on the dish is "Wineguard". Can I use this dish with Dish Network?

The hitch on my 2005 Winnebago Aspect is rated at 5,000lbs. However, the manual indicates that anything over 1,000 lbs towed requires supplemental breaks. Is the coach prewired for supplemental breaks?
Old 04-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

IBHIPRU2
First of all, welcome to the forum. You will find here a bunch of helpful folks who are interested in you and your RV.

Yes - you can use Dish Network with your Winegard Dish. My Winegard Dish has a switch to allow it to be used with either Dish or Direct.

Supplemental brakeing systems are normally installed on the towed vehicle - not the motorhome. There are a number of different systems and I believe you can learn a great deal about them by using the "find" feature here on IRV2. You will discover that there are as many opinions about which is the best as there are systems, but the research will definitely increase your knowledge and allow you to make an informed decision.

Again welcome and Happy Trails !!
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:17 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Welcome

If you go with one of those brake-in-a-box units, no wiring is involved. I like my SMI Silent Partner because I don't have to move or install anything when it is time to get on the road.

You have lots of braking choices out there.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Yes, your rig is pre-wired for brakes, but a brake controller must be installed if you have electric brakes. The brake controller will be a box about the size of 2 or 3 packs of cigarettes mounted to the bottom of the dash just to the left of the steering column. The brake controller will be connected to the wiring harness that Winnebago has pre-installed.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

If I'm pulling a 1,000 lb utility trailer loaded with no more then 500 lbs of cargo, do I really need supplemental breaks? About 95% of those I know who pull a car or trailer don't use them. Surprisingly enough, they say the supplenmtal breaking system, if not fine tuned, can actually be more dangerous than having no breaks.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:10 AM   #7
I helped | retired moderator

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Surprisingly enough, they say the supplenmtal breaking system, if not fine tuned, can actually be more dangerous than having no breaks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never heard that one. I wonder who "they" are?

Supplemental brakes are fairly easy to adjust properly.

IMHO, supplemental brakes are always better than no supplemental brakes.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:46 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IBHIPRU2?:
If I'm pulling a 1,000 lb utility trailer loaded with no more then 500 lbs of cargo, do I really need supplemental breaks? About 95% of those I know who pull a car or trailer don't use them. Surprisingly enough, they say the supplenmtal breaking system, if not fine tuned, can actually be more dangerous than having no breaks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the combined weight is over 1000 lbs then yes. If you are taking about a 1000 lb trailer with a 500 lb load for a total of 1500 lbs then you need supplimental brakes on the trailer. If you are talking about a trailer with a 1000 max combined weight and the total weight of trailer and cargo is no more than 1000 lbs fully loaded then no you don't need brakes installed on the trailer.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:52 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I guess if it were me I would err on the side of safety. Your rig isn't all that big and your brakes probably aren'y heavy duty - throwin brakes on the trailer will maybe save you and adventuresome trip down a big mountain downgrade.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I've seen a lot of people towing without a supplemental brake system when they should--personally I wouldn't leave home without one. Not only for the obvious safety reasons, but also because should you have an accident and it could be shown that you were at fault because you didn't have such a system, legally and financially you could be in serious trouble.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:36 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I agree you should have a brake controller if pulling trailer.My MH manuel said I was prewired for brake control, spent all day looking for wires with no luck. While getting service for other issue asked service guy to look also. He spent one hour (did'nt charge Me),went and got service manager,he looked and said he would look on line at diagrams,finally came out and said they must have forgot,so we will run new wires. he went in shop to get electrical guy,he came out with a micro something machine hooked on to plug at rear and with handheld wand found the wires in 30 seconds.They were wrapped up over steering coulmn not marked. Moral of story don't ask boss go straight to the men in the trenches. His boss's only comment was well I looked on line and they were'nt there. THe Eletrical guy's reply "they're not online cause they're under the dash!

2007 Itasca Meridian 39k
readytogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:01 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary the Wombat:
I've seen a lot of people towing without a supplemental brake system when they should--personally I wouldn't leave home without one. Not only for the obvious safety reasons, but also because should you have an accident and it could be shown that you were at fault because you didn't have such a system, legally and financially you could be in serious trouble. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Double Ditto....I installed mine from day one.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:38 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I agree with all the rest...I use the Brake Buddy system. It isn't that hard to set up for use and works like a charm. Legally, most states require a supplemental brake system for anything over 1000-1500 lbs even though many people don't follow that law. That's bad for them and for us as we may have to get out of their way some time as they are trying to get their rig stopped.

Retired Navy (ETCS/SW/AW)
Carnles is offline   Reply With Quote