Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2021, 01:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New RV off gassing

The interior of our new 1808FBS Micro Minnie smells like a superfund site. I opened all the vents and windows and set up a fan to blow out through one window. I let the fan run for 48 hours. That helped, but the odor is still pretty bad. I've got to get a cover on the trailer because the Arizona sun is brutal. Does anyone know how to speed the process of getting those gasses out of the trailer?
DnDcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi DnDcamp,
Many chemical reaction rates double for about every 10ºC (18ºF) increase in temperature. Keep the cover on, but force-ventilate the trailer. Here in the colder climates, we don't get that all-of-a-sudden outgassing. Honestly, even after 2¼ years, my Minnie Winnie still has a touch of that "new car smell." I would guess that you won't smell it a month from now, given all of that Arizona heat.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 05-01-2021, 05:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Good information on the effect of temperature Eagle5! Thank you. I’ll have to figure out some way to ventilate with the cover on.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:43 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

This isn't really related to your problem, but just good advice. NEVER flush the toilet, while the exhaust fan is running. When the exhast fan is running, replacement air has to come from somewhere. Down the holding tank vent tube and up thru the toilet is a low restriction route. Be sure to hold your nose.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the advice Charlie. That’s one of those tips I don’t think about in advance but after having made the mistake I say to myself, “What was I thinking?”
Old 05-05-2021, 06:36 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Sounds like a dead critter in the RV. Something that is remarkably effective is Febreze. I had a mouse make a nest in my truck's cab inside the air vent and I tried everything to get rid of the smell until I bought a bottle of Febreze and that did the trick. With the truck shut completely and parked beside my house, after two weeks there was no smell at all.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Get a little ozone generator from Amazon. Some even say designed for dog or cigarette smells but ozone is a great nasty odor killer. You will need to vent when you are done and do not stay in while it is running.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Airthereal-Ge...264013&sr=8-18
jcbenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

+ for Ozone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbenten View Post
Get a little ozone generator from Amazon. Some even say designed for dog or cigarette smells but ozone is a great nasty odor killer. You will need to vent when you are done and do not stay in while it is running.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Airthereal-Ge...264013&sr=8-18
Ozone in high levels can eliminate TVOC (Total Volatile Organic Compounds) but may increase HCHO (Formaldehyde) off gassing in the short run. I am a big fan of Ozone for many things such as odor removal and disinfectant. That "new car smell" is mostly HCHO. I would try it. Do some web surfing, this can get ya started.....
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ozone+for+...2%3A%22b%22%7D
Old 06-23-2021, 05:03 PM   #9
1800BH Micro Minnie

DnDCamp,
I had the same issue in my 2021 1800BH. I’m super sensitive to chemical smells (I’ve returned furniture deliveries with less smell than my camper had). I did a number of things, and almost 4 weeks later I’m proud to say I can *almost* no longer detect any smell at all in it, and what smell there is is limited to a faint “new plywood” smell vs that sweet formaldehyde smell from the beginning. And mine is parked in the shade! So there’s definitely hope for you. I did the following:
- aired the thing out all day and night for a few days
- heated it up with the furnace, then aired it out again (you’ve got the sun on your side for this)
- kept a big room fan plugged in and running all day and into the evening every day for at least a week, with all the doors and windows and cabinets open
- ammonium hydroxide! *remove all bedding and mattresses, cushions, etc first* I bought a 10% ammonium solution from the hardware store, and poured some into 2 shallow paint trays. Then I locked it up, all windows and doors closed but cabinets open inside, and waited 48 hours. Formaldehyde gas is neutralized by ammonia gas. When I opened it back up, it smelled faintly of ammonia. Then I wiped everything down, and turned the fan back on for a couple days to air it again.
- I took all the upholstery out, curtains (not shades) and dinette pieces (partly because they are covered in flame retardant chemicals) and once I got them out of the trailer, I realized how strongly THOSE smelled. I took all the foam out and sat those in the sun for a week, and machine washed the covers and then put those in the sun too. Those are all now smell free!

If you want to test the effectiveness of all of this, get a formaldehyde test on Amazon ($10).

Oh, and I added plants Boston ferns. Hung from the cabinet hardware. But don’t put them in before the ammonia experiment… they will die. Oops.
MMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Wow! You really got down to business. Thanks for sharing your success. I’m not terribly sensitive to the chemicals so, over time, open windows and a box fan set up to draw air through the trailer knocked the odor down to a manageable level.

Tags
gas