Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

new owner

Guys and Gals
I am not sure this is the correct place, but at least i am in the Winnebago section of town. We just took delivery on our new to us adventurere 35L. After much searcing and researching we came upon one in our own back yard. It was a 2008 unit with 1350 miles, we saw it on the dealer site and thought someone left a zero off the mileage. They didnt, the sad story is someone had it built, got it, drove it home in october 07, and passed away soon after, never used it. The wife brought it back to dealer as consignment in november 2010, we found it in march 2011. Pretty much what we want, the w24 chassis, 2 slides, chevy 8.1, good floor plan and best of all a very maneuverable 36' lenght. So its home under our farm campsite (pavilion, slab,all utilities next to our pond), and the next chore is buying the toad. Found a 2006 jeep wrangler with 9200 miles, hope to close next week on it. Questions i have is what is the best flat tow set up. Dealer is pushing "even break" and either Roadmaster or Blue ox hitch and plates. Any preferences out there on this equipment? Hope to get plates installed in the next few weeks so i can do a mid may trip to see my mom in maryland. Friday night we are moving into the little "house" for the summer, cant wait!!!!!

Gary and Karen
Burlington Flats New York (cooperstown)
oh yes, i officially retire on september 30
garycz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Congrats on your new-to-you coach. Let's see some pics, please.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to our world. You will have a million questions and most of them can be answered right here. I would lean towards Blue Ox, but Roadmaster is also a fine company. My preference is the motorhome mounted tow bar, and would also look into a braking system.

The Winnebago Itasca travelers (WIT) is a travel club sponsored by Winnebago which has rallies, local campouts,caravans, discounts and the means to put you in touch with like minded owners. If interested in something like this call Ruth at 800-642-4892. Make sure you take along a sense of humor.

Don,WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Congrats, it sounds like you got the classic "barn find" circa 2008.

I saw a lot of good reviews for Blue Ox and went that way. I don't know if they're better than the competition since we've only had the Blue Ox, but we aren't complaining. We previously had the Unified Tow Brake setup. When we upgraded the coach, we transitioned to the Air Force One setup, which requires air brakes.

With your Adventurer, I would lean toward the Blue Ox and Unified Tow Brake, just based on my experiences. I like a built-in braking system versus a portable. It just makes the hook-up easier.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Gary and Karen,

Welcome to the Winnebago family. The Adventurer is a fine rig and it sounds like you got a good one.

I am partial to Blue Ox towing equipment. We've yanked two Ford Explorers all over the USA with our Blue Ox equipment with no problems.

You have many choices for a supplemental braking system. IMO, those that are a compressor in a box that you have to place between the seat and brake pedal every time you tow are a PITA. We had one for 3 years and were happy to replace it with something installed on the TOAD. We have the SMI Air Force One system and love it. For your particular setup, I would recommend you look into the SMI Stay and Play system.

Welcome again and make sure you come back here with questions and to share your RV experiences. Also, we have a Winnebago owners chat room every Tuesday evening at 9PM EDT.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We have the Blue Ox tow bar and base plate, mainly because our dealer was also a Blue Ox dealer. That said, I have no complaints and it has performed well for 4 years now.

We also have the Blue Ox "compressor type" braking system mentioned above. It works fine, but I have to agree, its a pain. I'm too cheap to spend the money to replace a working unit, but if I were starting from scratch, I'd be looking for something else.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The Ready Brute integrated bar & brake is the best bang for the buck.

Readybrake RV Tow Bars and RV Surge Braking Systems for Car Towing - NSA RV Products
Old 04-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

We have a blue ox tow bar and a brake buddy, works for me, takes about 5 to 7 minutes to hook up.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Gary and Karen,

Welcome to the Winnebago family. The Adventurer is a fine rig and it sounds like you got a good one.

I am partial to Blue Ox towing equipment. We've yanked two Ford Explorers all over the USA with our Blue Ox equipment with no problems.

You have many choices for a supplemental braking system. IMO, those that are a compressor in a box that you have to place between the seat and brake pedal every time you tow are a PITA. We had one for 3 years and were happy to replace it with something installed on the TOAD. We have the SMI Air Force One system and love it. For your particular setup, I would recommend you look into the SMI Stay and Play system.

Welcome again and make sure you come back here with questions and to share your RV experiences. Also, we have a Winnebago owners chat room every Tuesday evening at 9PM EDT.
I agree with Gary's recommendations. I have towed 4-down for about 10 years now, and I highly recommend the Blue Ox systems.

I own a 'brake-in-the-box' system for braking, but will be replacing it in the future with the SMI product, Air Force One (diesel coach). The Stay-N-Play works well for gas coaches. Seems like folks who own SMI systems really like them.

Problem with the 'brake-in-a-box' systems is that the're a PITA to set up each time you're going to tow. Not so with SMI systems.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

For the OP deciding on a brake-in-a-box vs a built-in, how easy are the built-ins changeable to another toad? We have a Classic BrakeBuddy so I know that'll go anywhere. Are built-ins as easily transportable to another vehicle?

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
For the OP deciding on a brake-in-a-box vs a built-in, how easy are the built-ins changeable to another toad? We have a Classic BrakeBuddy so I know that'll go anywhere. Are built-ins as easily transportable to another vehicle?

Lori-
Lori, the SMI systems are transferrable to different vehicles, although there is installation time and materials involved. I believe the OP indicated he had found a jeep specifically for a toad so, if he plans to keep it for some eyars, an installed system should be a good choice.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote