Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I just purchased a 2002 36' Journey DL, LD with 27K miles and recently joined this site. I am picking up some good information which I appreciate . This is my 5th motorhome, third diesel, but first Winnebago. I want to change out the batteries and am thinking of changing out the tires to the G670's. My question to those who have done this is: what size Goodyear tire are you changing to? 275's? And, do you need to re-calibrate the odometer? Since the previous owner mentioned that the chassis batteries drain down in a couple of weeks. I want to put in a cut-off switch when I change out the battries. I believe I used Interstate the last time and would appreciate any thoughts you have on Interstate battries? Is it correct that they are 12 volt and will 3 fit the tray? Thanks for any information. Happy Travels---

John Bell, Denver
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 07:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I just purchased a 2002 36' Journey DL, LD with 27K miles and recently joined this site. I am picking up some good information which I appreciate . This is my 5th motorhome, third diesel, but first Winnebago. I want to change out the batteries and am thinking of changing out the tires to the G670's. My question to those who have done this is: what size Goodyear tire are you changing to? 275's? And, do you need to re-calibrate the odometer? Since the previous owner mentioned that the chassis batteries drain down in a couple of weeks. I want to put in a cut-off switch when I change out the battries. I believe I used Interstate the last time and would appreciate any thoughts you have on Interstate battries? Is it correct that they are 12 volt and will 3 fit the tray? Thanks for any information. Happy Travels---

John Bell, Denver
Old 05-06-2006, 09:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hi John,
We had a 2002 Journey DL 36 LD that we traded in on our current Horizon. It came new with Michelin 235/80 R22.5 XRV tires and we were never happy with the handling form the soft rubber. Broke down and replaced them with 6 new 255/80 R22.5 XZE Michelins and couldn't have been happier with the ride or the handling. I don't know what size is equivalent in the Goodyear's, but the revolutions per mile difference needed to be corrected in the engine computer. Easy to do if you have CAT Pocket Tech or some other engine monitor. Freightliner can fix you up on this also.

As for batteries, I prefer Concorde AGMs. I think any brand or type you are comfortable with is fine. Three 12V Group 24, 29, or 31 RV/Marine deep cycle batteries in parallel for the Coach and two 12V Group 29 or 31 engine start batteries in parallel for the Chassis. A ˜cut off switch' or something like an Echo~Charge, if you plan on being connected to shore power most of the time, is the way to go.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:19 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

John,

Welcome to the forum, we're really glad to have you here as a new member and are looking forward to reading your posts about your RVing experiences and adventures. You'll find a great bunch of folks on this site who are very knowledgeable of RVing, the rigs we use, and the places we go in them.

As you'll see, they're eager to help and share their knowledge and experiences with others.

My rig has a Perko marine battery disconnect switch that seems to do the job well.

Again, welcome to the forum, we're glad you joined.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:42 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

John, Welcome to the forum!!

Here's what the Winnebago version looks like in my 2006 Vectra....

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Hitchiker and rebelsbeach
Have either of you ever used the perko switch if so why ?
My 04 Vectra did not come with one.
Thanks
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:21 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Ed,I've never used mine as I always use the one by the front door....It was explained to me that the Perko switch might better be used as a "service man's" disconnect...

Newmar does the same thing in the rear end of their coaches,as my buddy just bought one...
Old 05-07-2006, 05:31 AM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Have either of you ever used the perko switch if so why ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use mine all the time, but keep in mind I have a 5th wheel trailer and my rig doesn't have other provisions to turn off the 12 volts as many motorhomes do. I turn the Perko switch to 'off' when I store the rig if I don't have it plugged in to shore power.

The reason I do it is to keep the rig's electronics from draining the batteries while it's stored. Maintaining batteries at full charge will extend their useful life.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I am certianly not a mechanic but on marine diesels you need a battery cut off switch so you can kill the starter. I was told that for some reason, sometime diesel engine starters will hang up in the on position - it's called a runaway starter. It can catch fire. The only way to stop it is to have a battery cut off switch for the chassie batteries.

Again, I do not know if the same situation is applicable for diesel engines used in land vehicles.

rebelsbeach - the switch by the door only cuts off the house batteries, not the chassie batteries.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:48 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks Adrian....I am aware of that as well...
Old 05-07-2006, 11:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

On our Journey the Perko switch in the back disconnects the chassis batteries and there is also a battery disconnect on the dash for the house batteries. Don't know how other Winnebagos are wired.
boulderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:51 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

John,

I think I understand that you want to change out your chassis batteries and if that is correct, I would not recommend AGM's, rather a very solid starting battery and typically I have seen two on the starting system. The tray for three is normally the coach side of the system and does in fact take 3 batteries.

The need for a chassis cut off switch is that typically diesel engine/drive trains have quite a bit of parasitic drain that can cause one to find themselves with a dead battery condition in a matter of a few weeks. It would be wise to recharge the existing batteries and using a clamp on amp meter see what the existing load is now. You may find that there is sufficent laod to discharge the batteries and you will not improve the situation changing out batteries. It's at lease worth doing before you buy new batteries. Could save you the money.

An additional reason for the chassis cut off switch is that one should never work around the engine of a diesel with out disconnecting the batteries. If one were to drop a wrench in the wrong place while changing an air filter, say across the control leads for the starter, and have any fuel in the system, the engine would start with very dangerous and potentially deadly results. Once your engine turns over, and there is fuel in the system, it will run. If the air box is open and it has limitless air supply, it can and will run until 1) it runs out of fuel, or 2) it blows up. This is not mere spectulation, it happens every year.

I don't mean to be an alarmist, but this sort of caution is rarely mentioned to owners. Please accept this in the best intentions.

If I can be of any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
Mike
TheRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:12 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bellsharbor:

John Bell, Denver </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome to the forum. I changed my 235/80/22.5's XRV's to the G670's, 275/70/22.5. Ride and handling improvement was significant. No change in speedo needed. My speedo is right on with speed shown on my GPS.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:01 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone for all your help. We look forward to many happy years of traveling in our new coach.

John and Marion Bell