Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New Coach Discounts?

We are shopping for a Class A motorhome. If we decide to go with a new rig, what is the approximate discount we can expect on something like the Vista 30T or Sightseer 33C? Thanks,,
rancherwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Not sure about those specific models, but on our Ellipse we got around 26% off of sticker as I recall. Many folks report getting closer to 30% and even a bit higher.

I believe that dealers, in many cases, are actually the one's who print the stickers you see on new coaches so do comparison shopping.

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

25% to 30% off sticker seems to be the norm from a dealer who is willing to deal.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Hope you get real world feedback from more recent than 2007 on a Winnebago gasser.

Without a trade in confusing the issue 20% is good.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Our experience buying our 30A new was this: Totally depends upon availability and how new the model is. Then it depends upon the dealer. 20% seemed to be where everyone was the first year our floor plan was offered. If you decide on a new Winnie check the cabinet fascias and slide moldings for wrinkles in the laminated covering. Winnebago is having problems with that right now.
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Not sure about those specific models, but on our Ellipse we got around 26% off of sticker as I recall. Many folks report getting closer to 30% and even a bit higher.

I believe that dealers, in many cases, are actually the one's who print the stickers you see on new coaches so do comparison shopping.

Good luck.

Rick
You can get a retail price list from Winnebago or the dealer. Winnebago makes one for each model giving the base price and the retail price of each of the options available. The markup on the 2013 Adventurer options was roughly 28%.

I would advise getting a sheet for the models you're interested in. When we bought our 2001 Adventurer one dealer printed their own window sticker and inflated the base price by $1,000.00,
Old 06-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have had seperate dealers show me the invoice sheet for the Journey and the Adventurer. If you multiply the list price by 71.34% you get very close to the invoice. Vehicle and options are the same.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

IMO you are never going to know until you start negotiating " in good faith". Personally I would start at +30% but if I liked the Dealer, the Salesman and the location I'd probably be a buyer at somewhere around 25%.

BTW don't forget to negotiate for value-added things such as accessories, extended warranties, future service discounts, oil changes, full tank of gas/diesel, etc These things will cost you "real" money, but are something the Dealer can discount to improve your overall purchase discount. In other words, your discount might be 20%, but with enough added value items the package might be closer to 25%.

It's all the same whether it comes outta your right pocket or your left!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
IMO you are never going to know until you start negotiating " in good faith". Personally I would start at +30% but if I liked the Dealer, the Salesman and the location I'd probably be a buyer at somewhere around 25%.

BTW don't forget to negotiate for value-added things such as accessories, extended warranties, future service discounts, oil changes, full tank of gas/diesel, etc These things will cost you "real" money, but are something the Dealer can discount to improve your overall purchase discount. In other words, your discount might be 20%, but with enough added value items the package might be closer to 25%.

It's all the same whether it comes outta your right pocket or your left!
X2!
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We recently closed a deal and received almost 30% off MSRP which included the options that we listed. We also traded a TT and they paid off what we owed which is $5,000 more than they are currently listing our TT on their web sight. When you consider that they will make $5,000 less because of the oayoff on our TT they really gave us another $5,000 on the deal. We ordered a 2014 Vista 30T and it will not be ready until August. Since it was ordered availability was not in the equation.

This will be our last MH and we ordered the options that we wanted, within reason and we did not break the bank. I realize that they still made $$$$ on the deal or they would not be in business but they did treat us well and gave us good prices.

If you want you can PM me and I'll tell you where we bought. It may not be appropriate for me to give out their name on these forums.

If someone tells me it's OK to give out their name I will.

TeJay
Old 06-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We got 27% off msrp. We had a trade in and I used the average selling price of our 2004 mh to figure the discount. In the end its not how much of a discount you get but if you feel that the deal will work for you and your dealer stays in business. One thing that will make me walk away from the best deal out there is when the salesman starts complaining they are losing money on the deal.If they are losing money they wouldn't be selling at that price. This has happened to us and we walked away and told them not to call us back, there are other dealers that appreciate your business and know how to show it.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:22 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Tejay, We have long admired the 30T floor plan. Can you share with us your main reasoning for selecting that particular model? Thanks for your response.
rancherwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

rancher,
We really like a lot about Winnebago and that was confirmed when we took the factory tour up in Forest City. Every unit that they build goes through a water test with slides in and out. As we toured the plant none of the workers seemed stressed and most looked and acted pleasant and happy. Those jobs are still assembly line jobs but these people seemed happy.
We have never like the comfort level of the kitchen dinettes and we had them on 3 units. Our first two MH's and the first TT. The cushions are not comfortable for very long periods of sitting. Winnebago now offers a real nice expandable dinette with very comfortable seats. The unit when expanded seats 8-10 people. We will never have a need for that many people. If we have 9 visitors for dinner I'm leaving. We liked the table and 4-chair option. Actually on the last two trailers we had we left 2 of the chairs home and bought two fold up comfortable chairs so if we had company they had a place to sit. Yes without the dinette you loose sleeping room but we didn't buy a MH to take GK's or anybody else for that matter. If we need more room there is always the floor or a tent outside. It does have a sleeper sofa with an air mattress.

We liked the 31' length and when you go to some of their shorter class A's and C's you loose the ability to choose many of the options. For example under options: Side view video camera (N/A 26HE), 6 way power driver seat (N/A 26HE), Dash work station (N/A 26HE), Double insulated windows (N/A 26HE). I believe they don't give you many of these options so you will purchase the larger units.

I was able to see an Itasca Sun star 30T down in Houston. It's the same as the Vista 30T. The bedroom wardrobe slid is very roomy with lots of places for storage. Any time you travel from North to South in the spring you really need three different levels of clothes. This last March we left AR the end of Feb and went to FL for the month of March. We ran the furnace in FL 27 of the 30 days. You need room to store all those changes of clothes. Shorts one day and jackets, sweatshirts the next.

The microwave/convection oven frees up the cupboard for another drawer/storage. The DW does not often use the oven anyway. Using a convection MW will also be a new experience for her as well.

Lots and lots of drawer space in kitchen and bedroom. I will change the kitchen storage pantry next to the fridge into some slide outs of some sort. Since we won't get the unit until the end of July I don't know exactly what I'll do, but we like slide out trays. It easier access anything that you keep in those areas.

We did find out at the factory that when you get the deluxe graphics, I think it's an extra $3,000, the areas above and below the actual decals are full body paint. We didn't want to spend almost $9,000 extra for the FBP and the front clear mask, even when several said that it is a good idea. We store our unit under a carport out of direct sunlight when at home. Our last MH was 10 years old and it look great when we traded it.

We did not see a way to close off the shower area from the kitchen area in any of the videos or in my walk through. We did find out what they did. The bathroom door opens, swings out and blocks the kitchen. Most coaches have sliding/folding doors for that purpose. OH! yea the shower is very large compared to others.

It's a well laid out floor plan. No plan will suit the needs of everybody but we've had 5 over 35 year and we kind of know what we want/need and like. We did look at the 33C but in the 2013 layout there was no option for the chairs and table. I see now that they do offer that option. It is also a 2-AC unit and 50-AMPS as well but it's about an extra $15-20 grand or more because they may not offer anything but FBP. I know when you go up to their top three units you have to get FBP at a cost of $9,000.
Also we did buy from a dealer close to the factory because they gave us the best deal on the coach and our trade as well. Yes, we will have to drive 560 miles but we are buying our last MH and I want to be the first to put some miles on it. Also we will stay in it for a few days and if their any issues we can take it back to the factory. They have a large service area that is available and if a major issue arises they will know best how to fix it.
Sorry for being so long winded. That's the teacher in me. I can't give a short answer. Hope this helps. Any specific questions just PM me.
TeJay
Old 06-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Nice post thank you. We just purchased our first Class A MH, a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 32V and love it. Already planning ahead to our next purchase in a few years. Very interested in these "Big" showers they have been producing the last couple of years. Being 6'6" tall they will be nice.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Enjoy the 30T. I really liked the floorplan but wanted to stay under 30'. We bought the 27N instead and it is perfect for the 2 of us.
TravelDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:51 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Thanks,
Enjoy your 27N. They do build a quality coach and you can't go wrong. We bought from a dealer in Forest City. CW near us is a dealer but they couldn't match prices and if we have any major issues I think will consider going back to the factory and maybe it will work out as part of a trip somewhere.
If considering an upgrade for 2014 Winnebago made a lot of change that are now standard at least in the Vista line and perhaps in the other lines as well. LED lights are standard, Corian counter tops except in the bathroom, wood edge added to the bath counter tops, an external propane connection, and a few others.

TeJay
Old 06-22-2013, 04:52 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I did get the 2014 model and appreciate the washout connection for the black tank in addition to the other things you mentioned. Also, an interior fabric option was much more to our liking. My only disappointment was they discontinued the option of a satellite dish. I didn't get quite as good a deal on the '14 but am glad we went that route.
TravelDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

BT Cruiser,
You said you got a 2014 30T and from your comments you bought one from a dealer where you live. We are scheduled for delivery July 29th. Winnebago Rally Day's is interfering with the delivery. The coach is already out of the build line (May 21) and into the paint factory. It is scheduled for delivery to the dealer on July 10th if nothing goes wrong. That's right before Rally Days and the dealer needs a week or so to do what they do and they also want us to spend some time camping on their lot so if we have any problems they or the factory can fix them. You'd think at my age waiting for a toy would be easier, but it's not.

Enjoy,
TeJay
Old 06-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

This is a great question because with cars it's much easier to understand dealer costs on the unit and options but it's much more vague in the RV space. We were able to negotiate 30% off MSRP but be very careful about how long the unit has been sitting on the dealer's lot if you're buying off the lot. Lot Rot can be very problematic. Make sure to check the Manufacturing date and as others said earlier, make sure to really double-check and inspect everything (moldings, cabinets, wallpaper, etc.).

It all comes down to how much the dealer wants your business and if they can still make money. Be very careful about CampingWorld. I would never buy anything from them again and their service department is terrible.
dk2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Please don't lump all CW's into one category that's not really fair. It's almost the same as saying that all dealers are good or bad. It really depends on the CW and who is operating it. Their corporate head quarters may dictate certain things to CW which may place constraints a GM. That's something that I don't know. I do know our local GM and he is striving to have a very good repair and service department. There may be a time when convenience will dictate that you will use a dealer that you are not familiar.

One more point. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to find a decent RV repair technician??? Believe me it is almost impossible. My career was teaching automotive. It takes a special person to do that type of work. Vehicles are very complicated and constant learning is necessary to keep up with the changes. Now throw in, gas stoves, refrigeration, slides, hydraulics, converters, solar panels, several battery configurations, sizes and types, truck chassis, diesel engines, tires, wheel bearings, alignments, driving and steering issues, brake systems, generators, awnings, digital monitor panels, tile floors, plastic shower floors and glass enclosures, upholstery, carpet and vinyl flooring, wood panels and cabinet doors, sinks, plumbing, hitches, electrical wiring, gas/electric hot water tanks, etc, etc, etc.

As you can see that it takes a very diverse, talented, knowledgeable, individual to work in the RV field. No one individual will be good in all of these but they should have at least a good understanding and a working knowledge of each area. I have a decent working knowledge on just about everything that I mentioned but it has taken me 69 years to learn it and I really don't want a job. Individuals like this do not grow on trees. When a shop finds a good tech they strive very hard to keep them.

When you find a good tech be sure to thank them for the quality work. they need it just like everybody needs some recognition for quality work. I always told my students this. Money is not the real reason you go to work. At first it might be and yes it is important. Quality work and pride in doing a good job is the eventual reason you do what you do. A good tech goes the extra mile to satisfy each customer.

TeJay