Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

to you Tejay.

I had work done at CW in Swedesboro NJ, and they knew what they were doing.

Dont know about CW sales, but any salesman is only that
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Tejay - if you've had a good experience with CW all the more power to you. However, we dealt with 3 separate CW dealerships and had regional management involved all the way up to Marcus. So while you're experience may have been different, I am entitled to my opinion which as I said, be careful with them. I stated that "I" would never do business with them again. In my experience, their service departments did not know how to get work authorized, they didn't know how to do the work, they did not keep the customer informed, they failed to complete the work and so on. So while I agree and understand your point that it is hard to find good technicians, there are some bigger fundamental problems going on at CW. At least at the locations I've dealt with. All I said was to be careful.
dk2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:08 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

That's why I said that there may be some directives that come down from the above management that does not allow those GM's that want to do the right thing.

If I have to use a dealership that I am not familiar with I usually ask some pointed questions to maybe help determine if I can trust them to do the work that is expected. Yes I know enough to ask the right questions and others are not so lucky. Usually if a dealership is trying to hide the customers and the techs I'm curious as to why. If they won't allow me access to my MH while I'm there I'm concerned. I've actually have had students, friends call me when they were stuck in a dealership and asked me to ask the questions.
Yes, I do agree that one has to be careful.

TeJay
Old 01-02-2014, 10:34 AM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

TeJaycan you share what special questions you ask so you can learn how to get better serivce, thanks.
irv2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancherwilli View Post
We are shopping for a Class A motorhome. If we decide to go with a new rig, what is the approximate discount we can expect on something like the Vista 30T or Sightseer 33C? Thanks,,
Perhaps we were fortunate......we purchased our 2014 Sports Coach Cross Country 404RB at an RV show in Hershey PA in Sept 2013. The dealer couldn't meet my "want to pay " price, and they told me there was no way I could by cheaper then the show price. I showed them on the very same unit priced on the internet for $10000 less. The shows are sponsered by the Manufacturers, so they will help the price come down to make the sale. They did and I walked away purchasing at 40% off the MSRP.
steinjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:14 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

irv2fan,
OK so you want to know what I would do and or ask if I have to have service performed at a strange dealership. That's a lot of information but here goes.

1. Will they allow me access to the shop area so I can watch?? Can I ask the tech some questions?? I have talked to many shop owners and the idea that it is against insurance regulations is not correct. That's a ploy so you can't watch them work. Yes some customers might get in the way of the tech and that may be why they don't want you back there.

2. A lot of questions that I would ask are dependent on the type of work being done. If it's an independent shop and I'm having the brakes worked on I'd ask what kind of pads they are using. Are they using OEM (original equipment manufacturer specs pads)??? Where are they buying them??? Will they machine the rotors??? ALL and I mean ALL disc rotors MUST be machined when new pads are installed. If their answer is no to the machining then I'm gone.

3. How many of their technicians are ASE certified. Are any of them Master certified??? That means they are certified in all 8 ASE areas. There is a certifying body for RV technicians but I'm not as familiar with that. You can still ask how many of their techs are RV certified and do they have on-going training programs available to their techs. I know our local CW does.

4. If I'm having body work done I would be very suspect of a body shop that is attached to the repair facility. I'm not saying that it can't be good what I am saying is it is very difficult to mix paint and grease. Sanding dust gets everywhere and I don't want that contamination in the repair area. Painting/bodywork is a very special/talent and those guys have to be devoted to it. If they use a corner of the repair area and occasionally throw up a barrier and spray a panel or tow then I'm probably going to find another place.

5. Wonder around the repair waiting room and strike up a conversation with people walking in and out. Check out in the lot and try to talk to others that have had work done. If you are having major work being done and ask for some references they will probably not tell you about the bad experiences so that may or may not be a successful approach.

6. I was having problems with our new TT furnace working while we down in FL last March. I went to a local RV repair facility on route 1. I explained what was happening and he gave me some suggestions and offered some electrical schematics if I needed them. We came up with a few causes of my intermittent problem and he offered me the parts and said that I could change them if I wanted to or have him come to the CG to fix it. He also called FR regarding the service call if I did need him to come down. He was very helpful and from our conversations I determined that he was an honest individual that I could probably trust. After some more thinking I found a loose connection back at the furnace. I stopped and told him that I solved the problem and he was happy and also thanked me because he learned some information that he could use himself. Most MH manufacturer won't use those twist on wire connectors because vibration will loosen them. Our TT had those things all over the place and that was my electrical problem on the furnace.

If any of you have a specific problem that you are seeking repairs PM me and I'll offer some suggestions as far as what type of questions one could ask to maybe determine if the shop can fix your problem.

One more story. Back in 2010 when we bought our first TT I walked into the service area as two mechanics were tightening my ball on the WD hitch. One guy had a screw driver wedged against the big nut and the other guy had a pipe wrench around the ball. I knew I was in trouble when I saw that. The place was a family owned business and had been there for years. They didn't even have sockets for those hitch ball nuts and no torque wrench to tighten them down properly. DAH !!!!

TeJay
Old 03-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #27
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
I have had seperate dealers show me the invoice sheet for the Journey and the Adventurer. If you multiply the list price by 71.34% you get very close to the invoice. Vehicle and options are the same.
I would really question what they are showing you. I had a dealer try to convince me that he was giving me a copy of the invoice. While it had the correct vin number, the options were not correct. It was obviously a doctored document. I'm sure what was missing was manufacturer incentives, rebates, or hold-backs. IMO Shaddy business... We left that place went straight to 3 strikes in my book.
Blackcabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

we offered and they took 30% off the price. 2014 Winnebago Towable 31 BHDS
GW1115 is offline   Reply With Quote