Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2007, 08:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Hi All,

I've been mostly "lurking" for the past four months but we are now ready to purchase our first MH and have fallen in love with the new Itasca 40 FD. We're about to start negotiations with the local dealer and I would really appreciate any tips that more experienced RV'ers can provide.

I've sent requests for "best price" to about 20 different dealers across the country who had this model advertised on the web. Some have responded with a price and some just asked me to call them. I figured a few quotes in hand would help me negotiate locally.

I've learned on the forum that dealer mark up is around 35% and a typical "discount" is about 25% but is this realistic this time of year?

Any help is much appreciated so we can get out on the road!!!

Thanks,

RickO

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi All,

I've been mostly "lurking" for the past four months but we are now ready to purchase our first MH and have fallen in love with the new Itasca 40 FD. We're about to start negotiations with the local dealer and I would really appreciate any tips that more experienced RV'ers can provide.

I've sent requests for "best price" to about 20 different dealers across the country who had this model advertised on the web. Some have responded with a price and some just asked me to call them. I figured a few quotes in hand would help me negotiate locally.

I've learned on the forum that dealer mark up is around 35% and a typical "discount" is about 25% but is this realistic this time of year?

Any help is much appreciated so we can get out on the road!!!

Thanks,

RickO

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 04-16-2007, 08:12 AM   #3

Well, the typical discount isn't usually 25%, but that is about what you can expect if you are a fairly good negotiator.

What model Itasca are you talking about?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sorry, I should have mentioned we're looking at the Itasca Ellipse 40 FD.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 04-16-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've sent requests for "best price" to about 20 different dealers across the country who had this model advertised on the web. Some have responded with a price and some just asked me to call them. I figured a few quotes in hand would help me negotiate locally.

I've learned on the forum that dealer mark up is around 35% and a typical "discount" is about 25% but is this realistic this time of year? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rick,

25% is a good ballpark number. The 2008 models will be out within a couple of weeks and you should be able to negociate an even better deal on the remaining 2007 models. We were able to get a 32% discount at the time that when the new models were coming in soon
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:57 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The rig is at Village RV in Roseville Ca and has a sticker of $247K. Does anyone have experience with this dealer? What should I expect to pay?

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 04-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Rick,

I was in your position two years ago. I live in Denver, Colorado and the local dealer did not have the Itasca Horizon I wanted. I called Winnebago and told them what I wanted. They gave me a list of 8 to 10 dealers who had that model on their lot. I then called each one and negotiated over the phone. I told them I didn't mind purchasing out of state and would buy the unit with the best price.

I called each dealer and found some would readily negotiate over the phone and others who didn't take me seriously. It is amazing how stupid some sales people could be. I cannot think of a better customer than someone out of state who knows exactly what they want, and probably won't be back for service.

I ultimately found the best deal at Leach Camper Sales in Lincoln, Nebraska. It was 500 miles from Denver. I got a great deal and the people at Leach were super to work with. I spent several days in Lincoln while they tweaked the items I found on the PDI. I purchased my 2005 model in November of 2004 and received a little more than 26% off MSRP.

Caution: A dealer in Texas had me hooked on a good price until I learned the unit had been in a RV show. I didn't want to take a chance on the abuse from a RV show.

Also, I have found the local Winnebago Dealer has been great for warranty work even though I did not purchase from them.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:13 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LK23:
Also, I have found the local Winnebago Dealer has been great for warranty work even though I did not purchase from them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just curious who this is?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

First and foremost...leave your emotions at home. Deal toward the last week of the month...they seem to be hungrier then!

If there is no trade-in, that'll help. Research sticker prices on-line (well, you USED to be able to do that...don't know about now) with the different options. Come up with a price after deducting whatever percentage you feel comfortable with. Be sure you have another brand of MH brochure with you in a file--Holiday Rambler, for instance. (And, uh oh..folder fell open where salesman could see it!) BE PREPARED to walk away (outside...go home...go to the mall) in the middle of the serious sale discussion--after "Mr. Smoothy" gets to you. Get up, walk out. Wait 24 hours if need be. If they really want to sell it, you'll get a call...

Yup, that's what we did. Got a 'courtesy' call the next day expressing regret that we couldn't come to an agreement. We told them we were busy for a couple of days (honest...we had company coming!). DH got a call while he was walking the mall a couple days later...they wanted to deal!!

Research is the key. Get your options/prices down first. Go for it! Good luck.

Rose
Old 04-16-2007, 01:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Thanks so much!

Gawd, I hate this stuff!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 04-16-2007, 02:45 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

You have accomplished the major hurdle of figuring out what coach to buy!

You should be able to easily negotiate 25% or a little more off retail and you have been presented with lots of excellent advice in this thread.

Like somebody mentioned, never get emotionally involved with buying a particular coach (car, or whatever) and be mentally prepared to walk away if they won't deal. With a little effort, you will find the right deal and dealer.

Keep us posted on how the hunt goes.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I bought my Horizon at Village RV four years ago. I got the price I wanted but I had done lots of research and had, in hand, an offer at my price in LA. Village matched that price but not until I hit them over the head with that information. After they got insistent on their price I mentioned that I had a firm offer, on paper, from another dealer. They then saw the light. I agree with all of the other info. You can not have too much information.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:48 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Everyone has given you good advice..I liked the idea of calling Winnie and finding out who had the unit in stock and the negotiating with those dealers who have the colors you like. You will love the Ellipse a friend has one and its a great coach...Another tip, I always deal with the sales manager whenever possible when I buy my vehicles as it cuts right to the source. Good Luck and Be Safe
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:12 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

RickO,

I bought my new 2005 Itasca Meridian 36G from Village RV in 2005 while on vacation from VA. Took out of state delivery and they have been good to deal with, even from 2500 miles away. Always helpful with tech questions and advice.

Our salesman was Billy Masters. Very knowlegable about the systems.

If you finance, don't settle for their first %age rate. They will go way down. I had financing set up thru USAA Bank and they matched it, dropping their offer 2.5%.

I would buy from them again.

About 24% off MSRP.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:38 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Well, I did it! I was able to reach agreement with Village RV on the price and financing terms and I get to pick up my new Ellipse 40FD next week!

I was able to get about a 21% discount with 6.9% financing. I had offers from other dealers around the country which were a bit lower but decided to pay a small premium do avoid the hassel and form the relationship with my local dealer.

Thank to all for your help and advice! I'll be posting pictures when I get my baby next week!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 04-20-2007, 08:43 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Congratulations, RickO,,,It will be one of themost exciting days in your life when you bring it home...Its a great floor plan. Many happy and safe miles.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:54 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Great Job,Rick O We wish you lots of luck and many happy miles. Have fun washing that BaBy.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:17 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Thanks much Bobpie. Ironically, we're going to be traveling with a Westie (maybe two!) also!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 04-21-2007, 02:30 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Hey thats cool, their great traveling companions. Check out Dogsters and then go to "Westies Unite". My wife assist with the website. Lots of info for the dogs there. Also meet and greats around the country. We have the perfect vehicle to get to them. ENJOY!
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 03:04 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

RickO,

Congratulations on your new Ellipse 40FD. We have been full timing in our 2006 Ellipse 40FD since Sept of 05. We love it. It's not set up for entertaining large numbers of people but it incredibly comfortable for 2 to 4.

Just a tip - once you get it loaded like you "think" you want it with your "stuff" - weigh the axles and adjust your tire pressure in accordance with the chart in your bag of books. That will really make the coach handle a lot better on the highway.

Good luck, stay safe, and have lots of fun.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote