Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2005, 02:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

my neighbor and her husband just bought a new deisel. he passed away about 2 weeks after they got it. he was only 52. she has never driven any mh and he took care of everything for her. i can help her with the basic motorhome stuff but i dont know anything about a deisel. i would like you guys help me help her. any advice, suggestions, or what to check or look for or anything no matter how simple it might seem to you. her mh is a newmar but i always get some of the best help here. thanks jd
Old 01-02-2005, 02:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

my neighbor and her husband just bought a new deisel. he passed away about 2 weeks after they got it. he was only 52. she has never driven any mh and he took care of everything for her. i can help her with the basic motorhome stuff but i dont know anything about a deisel. i would like you guys help me help her. any advice, suggestions, or what to check or look for or anything no matter how simple it might seem to you. her mh is a newmar but i always get some of the best help here. thanks jd
Old 01-02-2005, 04:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

She needs help!

Does she plan to keep and use the motorhome?

If so, I would suggest she go to a local dealer and ask for the names of some local RV clubs. Go there and ask about membership and assistance. She may then develop some friendships that can be a source of support in all the many questions that do come up.

If that does not pan out, go to a large state park with campground and walk around, If you see someone with a local license plate on a diesel pusher -- strike up a conversation.

This can be less awkward if a friend goes with her.

Walt
Old 01-03-2005, 04:08 AM   #4

I've talked with a couple of techs at Newmar and I think she would be in very good hands if she wanted to talk with them directly. They have a moto, " to do it right" thats more then I can say about some other companies. They have an 800 no, but I don't have it with me. 574-773-7791.
Unless the person answering your reply has a Newmar product or previously owned one and has direct experience, be care you don't get the wrong information.

Thank you for your confidence in this site's forum, I think we all try to do our best, but sometimes it's best to go to the source.

Sorry for your friends loss, I come across this all to often. I think about this with my wife and what she would do. She'd have more money then she would know what to do with and her family of vagibonds would come out of the wood work which would trun me over in my grave.

Tomcat F15
I don't plan on leaving this earth anytime soon, but who am I to plan anything, it generally goes wrong any way.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The internet is a good source for info. Newmar is the coach manufacturer and your asking about the engine. Look up the customer service number for the diesel manufacturer, have serial number and model of engine on hand and perhaps they could furnish you with a service manual..or if you ask more engine specific questions maybe someone could offer some advice. You have had some fine folks already post some good advice Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:52 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

This is all good info. Maintaining a DP isn't that bad but, they are all different and if something is overlooked, it will get expensive down the road. I maintain my own diesels and have done a number of complete overhauls in my earlier days so have no problem dealing with whatever comes up. But, each engine model is different than the next and they all have varying maintenance requirements. When I first got my 400 ISL it took me a while to put together all the details of what to do and when to do it.

To try to do this stuff yourself without a thorough understanding of the service requirements is impossible. There is no way any one can give you enough info on a web forum to turn you into a service tech on that particular chassis/engine combo. The best thing she can do is learn an understanding of what the service schedule is and then have it taken care of by a dealer. Newmar can give her excellent advice about what is needed and when. They can point her in the direction of a suitable service center so that things won't get missed. That, and a repertoire with a local dealership will go along way to ensure that everything goes smoothly.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 01:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

My suggestion would be to follow the recommended maintenance intervals found in the owner's manuals for the engine, chassis and transmission. Besides the diesel engine, you'll need to know how to service the air brake components as well.
Canuck

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 02:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

There seems to be "big picture" question here rather than just a maintenance question. This couple clearly had different plans than a widow might. Maybe she's worried about caring for the rig in the interval as she decides what to do with it. Since they only had it for two weeks, I can only assume the coach hasn't had much use. I don't think maintenance will be an issue for some time. I would ease her fears of any need for service right now. Except for the batteries, she won't need to do much for quite some time with a new rig. You wouldn't have to have any diesel experience to help with the batteries. Maybe you could offer to check that out for her. Where abouts in the country is this? North/south? Cold/warm?

2003 Honda CR-V
Over_the_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 05:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

were in the south. i was asking about the basic stuff. is there anything differnt other than building air for the brakes. if thats the only thing differnt than a gas then maybe she can try a short trip. jd
Old 01-05-2005, 07:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Hello jdsr:

Sorry to hear about your neighbors husband. If she is still interested in RV travel I would suggest that she take a course from a RV Riving School. They should be able to help her gain confidence in driving and handling the MH.

I wish you the best of luck.

Dave
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote