Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Need dealer recommendations!

My wife and I are in the market for a new RV. We have decided on the smaller 24' variety built on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis. That would be the Winnebago View/Profile models. Specifically, we *really*like the floor plan of the View 24G with its rear bed encased in a rear slide!

So, I have found many dealers that would love to sell me this RV at the so called *MSRP* price, but I refuse to pay this. For one thing I have been told that RV's have an inflated MSRP and it is not governed/regulated the same way as automobiles are. I want to pay a fair price that will allow the dealer to make some money and continue to service their customers, however there isn't any Winnebago dealers in my vicinity so either way I would have to travel in order to get service. Therefore I am willing to travel anywhere in the US to get the best price. Where should I look? Does anybody have suggestions for dealerships that give reasonable discounts on new RV's? Any online dealers that are worth looking into?

Many regards,

Mark Cooperstein
Big Stone Gap, VA
mCooperstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi there, posting from the Richmond VA area.

We bought our new (then) Winnie from Maryland RV Dealer | Campers for Sale | Winnebago, Newmar, Keystone, KZ, EverGreen, Fleetwood | Maryland (MD), Pennsylvania (PA), Virginia (VA) | Beckley's Camping Center in Thurmont MD from Mike Boerum. A really great guy I would certainly buy from again.

If you haven't already talked to them, might I also suggest Snyder's RV with locations in Salem, VA down I-81 from you near Roanoke.Also have a store in VA Beach. www.snydersrv.com

Also, I like the folks at Safford RV. They are on I-95 just south of Fredericksburg, VA at the Thornburg exit. www.saffordrv.com

All have Winnie/Itasca View/Navion products on their lots.

Don't pay MSRP. My rule of thumb is at least 20% off starting point. Look at NADA guides if you want info on used pricing.

FWIW, I really don't think being far from where you purchase is all bad. I have never been back to Beckleys for service since purchase. Very little has gone wrong w/ our MH and I do most basic maint myself. 2 warrenty issues, I got them to send me the parts, and I replaced myself.
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Of course you've heard RV's have over-inflated MSRP's...everyone says that. You must also remember that the MANUFACTURER sets the MSRP, NOT the dealership. All new RV's come from the factory with the MSRP included in the delivery paperwork. The second thing you must remember is, nobody pays full MSRP... that is simply a starting point. The third thing you must remember is to approach the salesperson with no attitude. If you go in roaring "I'm not paying THAT!!!".. you WILL pay more than if you strike a rapport with them and have an intelligent conversation..( this IS how a salesperson pays the bills, so...if someone's difficult, they pay more..) Also try and buy as close to local as you can. Dealerships ARE NOT contractually obligated to do warranty work. The dealer in your back yard won't be in a hurry to service your coach if you bought somewhere else... that's just the way it is. Dealers try and take care of their customers first, and everyone else second. If you're on the road and its an emergency, most try to make that a priority, but otherwise, you just have to wait. So hunt around, strike up a friendship with a salesperson you "hit it off" with, and they will give you as good a deal as possible on the perfect coach for you, and will take care of you AFTER the sale as well. Hope a few tips from the "inside" help you ..
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Lichtsinn Motors, Forest City, IA. They are one mile from the Winnebago factory. Why drive (or fly) to Iowa to get your motorhome? They are a great company to deal with, they have fabulous prices (I haven't been able to do better anywhere), and, most of all, somebody is going to drive your new RV from Iowa to Virginia at your expense -- why not you?
Good luck, what ever you do.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
Lichtsinn Motors, Forest City, IA. They are one mile from the Winnebago factory. Why drive (or fly) to Iowa to get your motorhome? They are a great company to deal with, they have fabulous prices (I haven't been able to do better anywhere), and, most of all, somebody is going to drive your new RV from Iowa to Virginia at your expense -- why not you?
Good luck, what ever you do.

Mark,this is where we bought our Sprinter based 2012 ERA. I can "second" this recommendation. Their sales and service people, along with the owner Ron, are second to NONE. Give them a call, tell Nicole that Ron Schleder sent you and you won't be disappointed. By the way, I have nothing to gain here, I just believe in sharing with others when I have good news to report. We saved $25K off list price when we purchased our ERA from Lichtsinn. Here is a link to their web site

ttp://www.lichtsinn.com
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Hey Mark, any update on your progress in a search for a class B?
Old 08-19-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I have contacted via email Lichtsinn motors over the weekend. Ron sent me back an email saying one of his sales people will contact me early next week. I noticed they sell Itasca and Winnebago. Can you get service for Itasca at a Winnebago dealership and visa-versa?

Mark
Old 08-20-2012, 05:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mCooperstein View Post
I have contacted via email Lichtsinn motors over the weekend. Ron sent me back an email saying one of his sales people will contact me early next week. I noticed they sell Itasca and Winnebago. Can you get service for Itasca at a Winnebago dealership and visa-versa?

Mark

Hi Mark,
Yes, they are the same RV with minor trim level changes. I would second Lichtsinn. While I did not purchase from them I did have a lot of contact with them in my process and they were great to deal with. The S in mSrp stand for suggested and it is the price manufacturers Suggest dealers sell for. Start your offers at 30% less than msrp and negotiate from there. I would also suggest searching for a dealer close to you that has recently received Winnebago's circle of excellence award. A good local dealer is an option that will pay for itself over time.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

If you can restrain yourself for a month, the big show at Hershey PA will offer you a wide variety of dealers to meet and talk to.
From personal experience, we have been very pleased with the service department and management of Camping World.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:34 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan
If you can restrain yourself for a month, the big show at Hershey PA will offer you a wide variety of dealers to meet and talk to.
From personal experience, we have been very pleased with the service department and management of Camping World.
I noticed that Lichtsinn RV is not listed. They seem to be a highly regarded dealer recommended by several members of this forum. I certainly can wait, but do they have "show specials" at these kind of shows? IOW if I show up with cash in hand, can I get any better a deal then if I work with a salesperson directly? Right now price is my primary concern. I've already decided on either the Winnebago View Profile 24G or the Itasca Navion 24G.

Thanks for the info!
Mark
Old 08-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

It's difficult to determine when the best deals occur. Do you research, be prepared and the old adage, "Money Talks" is almost always true.
Good luck friend!
Old 08-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Mark, Lichtsinn is a no BS dealership. Right off the bat, they gave me the lowest price of the 5 dealers I contacted. I was able to negotiate another $1K off they're offer when I finally agreed to the deal. You should, with them at least, get your best price before going to their facility. The price you negotiate is the price you will pay. There will be NO add-on costs or surprises when you go to complete the sale and pick up your new RV.
Their service department, at least the one and only time I needed them and during my PDA was outstanding.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mCooperstein View Post
I noticed that Lichtsinn RV is not listed. They seem to be a highly regarded dealer recommended by several members of this forum. I certainly can wait, but do they have "show specials" at these kind of shows? IOW if I show up with cash in hand, can I get any better a deal then if I work with a salesperson directly? Right now price is my primary concern. I've already decided on either the Winnebago View Profile 24G or the Itasca Navion 24G.

Thanks for the info!
Mark
Mark,
Since you have decided that you want one of the 2 coaches get a spec sheet on both. Fill it out with the options you want. Get a list of dealers from the manufacturer and email a copy of the spec sheet to each dealer asking for their lowest cash price with no trade in. Let them know you have sent the same request to other dealers.

Good luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote