Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2005, 04:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Need to get splash-mud guard ( full width kind-96") What brand to buy, exactly where to attach it, etc. ??? Putting it on 2001 Journey (diesel pusher) Reason for getting one is that I hope to reduce how filthy my toad gets. Thanks in advance for all advice. Art
arthurval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 04:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Need to get splash-mud guard ( full width kind-96") What brand to buy, exactly where to attach it, etc. ??? Putting it on 2001 Journey (diesel pusher) Reason for getting one is that I hope to reduce how filthy my toad gets. Thanks in advance for all advice. Art
Old 09-30-2005, 04:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We purchasted an aftermarket(Ultraguard) at CW and got the largest one. Then cut it in half and so now we have two. Went to an Itasca dealer to see how the ones that come from the factory are installed and copied that.

All in all pretty easy. Used some heavy duty S hooks and a piece of steel angle iron. This will all be clear when you inspect one of the factory units.

Don't expect it to alter the level of dirt on your toad. The one thing we were unprepared for when we started full timming--How dirty, inside and out, the toad gets!!!

Good luck.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Amen to how dirty your toad gets. Those pushers are bad for that. I recently backed over a curb and tore off my full width splash
guard. I all most think it lessened the amount of splash back so think I'm just going to leave it off.
Ace
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 06:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Heres something to think about. I have both, that is, I have the brush type in front of
the the Winnebago full width unit that has the stainless steel no name plate. We have a brand new Limited Explorer we tow and there isn't any nicks in the front end.
The brush type come in two different lenghts, if you go for the longer one, at least you can cut it to fit.

And to d.duin,
I think your going to wish you didn't do that. Those tires have a habit of picking stones and throwing them right at the front of the the toad. The same for road spray, everything goes straight back. Before I even started using these units, it wasn't unusual to find pieces of tire on the hood. I didn't even remember see any, but they were there.

Radarr
Old 10-03-2005, 11:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

You may be right, but since I have a stone guard
on the front of my toad tow system I'm going to chance it and watch close.. Thanks for the advise.
Ace
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 07:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I only want a "splash guard" if it will keep our toad alot cleaner. If in the opinion of others it will not, let me know.- Our mud flaps immediately behind the rear wheels do a good job keeping rocks and stones deflected from the toad, so that is not my concern. Thanks, Art 2001 journey (diesel)