Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-28-2022, 01:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Navigating Toll Roads (OH and IN) with EZPass

I have an RV coded pass for my RV issued in NY. It essentially gives me car rates when using the EZpass on the I-90 thruway.

I would like to make a couple of trips this summer, which would have me traveling the Ohio and Indiana I-90 toll road.

As near as I can tell, from scouring the websites, both Ohio and Indiana charge essentially truck rates for my Class A, due the height.

Does anyone know if there are any discounts for RVs, and where I sign up for them?

Thank you for any current information.
Old 03-28-2022, 03:10 PM   #2
Site Team

Ohio charges by the axle and has one rate for low height vehicles (under 7'6") and another for high height vehicles. The height is measured over the first two axles.

That is all there is... no discounts, no special breaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 4.06.58 PM.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	182362  
Old 03-29-2022, 10:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks. Have you used the RV parking spots ($20)? Seems like a nice thing, especially if the weather is very hot or cold. It would be nice if they were more common.
Old 03-29-2022, 11:13 AM   #4
Site Team

No, we've seen them and they look fine, but we pony up for RV parks on long drives (well, we never go more than 300 mi a day). We adhere to a 300mi or 3pm stop time on all travel days. In fact, when planning we work to make it closer to 250 mi and 2pm stop times. Yes, it takes us 4 days to go 1000 mi but it's much more enjoyable travel.

The idea of sleeping in a Walmart, Travel Center, Truck Stop or Cracker Barrel just doesn't fit our idea of comfortable travel.

We did stay in a Walmart one night when a snafu on a reservation left us with no where to stay. It was fine. But we don't plan on doing it again.
Old 03-29-2022, 12:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
No, we've seen them and they look fine, but we pony up for RV parks on long drives (well, we never go more than 300 mi a day). We adhere to a 300mi or 3pm stop time on all travel days. In fact, when planning we work to make it closer to 250 mi and 2pm stop times. Yes, it takes us 4 days to go 1000 mi but it's much more enjoyable travel.

The idea of sleeping in a Walmart, Travel Center, Truck Stop or Cracker Barrel just doesn't fit our idea of comfortable travel.

We did stay in a Walmart one night when a snafu on a reservation left us with no where to stay. It was fine. But we don't plan on doing it again.
I understand. My wife has more limited vacation, and an ailing mother who is out of town, so her days off are more limited. I can see 300mi as a good limit, but my trips through OH would be 450 or so, split across two days. Stated differently, we would leave late in the afternoon, so she could work, and then I would drive until whenever I felt like I should stop. Maybe 4 hours, or perhaps a bit more. Ohio makes for good stopping, and she needs to have a bed passing the pea test. Why she got the RV. So a rest area should work. Then we get someplace, spend a couple of days and head home. In those scenarios, rest area sleeping, especially with power (she likes it cool) would work.

A example is western New York to Shipshewana IN, for a quilt show. I drive, then she walks the show while I charge my batteries, read a book or ride a bike around, and then Sunday (when the stores are more likely closed) we head home. If I get tired in PA or even NY, we stop and I sleep until I am good to go.

I don't know in my case how well it will work out, but that kind of trip is easier than visiting any of the four offspring, who are all farther away, and have even greater restrictions on their free time.

I do think that a rest area where I can run a slide out and tap some AC power is nicer than being quiet and unobtrusive in a Walmart parking lot. But I end up in one of those that will be OK by me.

I don't have enough experience to judge how highway rest areas might work out for us. They must for some people because I see RVs at them. I know that generally they are not for camping, but I am not really camping, I am resting so that I can safely continue driving.
Old 03-29-2022, 02:50 PM   #6
Site Team

It makes all the difference when you're retired. Schedules free up tremendously. Us retired folks wonder how we ever got anything done when we had to work all the time.

Texas is building a group of brand new rest areas called Safety Rest Areas. They are huge with lots of lighting and full time state trooper security. You're allowed 24 hrs max. But there isn't any power. They have unique designs for each and many have museums, historical displays, and even full-sized playgrounds. They have dedicated RV parking and encourage you to put out your slides and stay.

The Ohio Turnpike sites are in a super busy parking lot with semis coming in and out all around you. But they do have power.

Each Texas Safety Rest Stop looks different but they are all super nice. Here's a photo of two of them - they're all over the state:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 3.43.37 PM.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	182373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 3.49.28 PM.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	182374  

Old 03-29-2022, 04:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Those Texas rest areas sure look nice. For me, I can run a genset, which is pretty quiet if I need cooling or possibly heating.

Well, it is nice to see an upgrade of the federal rest stop on an interstate.

Retirement won't be for a bit, so I figure we can practice until then. I am not a real camper, my wife is. Rather than campgrounds, I would rather boondock. But that is not likely to happen much. At least I managed to get an old RV with 90 gal fresh water tanks, so we should be good for several days.

In all of your journeys, have you found any states where it makes sense to get the local EZpass to get the local discounts? Florida used to be pretty difficult, even by car, but appears to have reformed.

If traveling in NY on I-90, an EZpass can be coded so that you pay a passenger car rate for an RV, or at least most RVs. Big savings, and worth the hassle and forms. No monthly fee with a card auto replenish and a deposit.
Old 03-29-2022, 04:30 PM   #8
Site Team

We travel to EZ Pass states only occasionally. We got the NC QuickPass because it's the least expensive, has no monthly or use fees and works from Florida to Maine. Of course, you get a discount for using an EZ Pass but I'm not aware of any local versions with extra discounts.
Old 03-29-2022, 04:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
We travel to EZ Pass states only occasionally. We got the NC QuickPass because it's the least expensive, has no monthly or use fees and works from Florida to Maine. Of course, you get a discount for using an EZ Pass but I'm not aware of any local versions with extra discounts.
Good tip. I may look into that. Three of my children live in North Carolina presently.

Oh, NY may drop tolls on I-90 this summer. It hasn't been finalized. It is already cheaper to travel through all of NY than OH. There is also talk of dropping road tax on fuel, but there is more money involved in that, and I wouldn't get too optimistic about that. But the toll elimination could happen.
Old 03-31-2022, 10:13 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Mongobird, you mean there is a quilt show my DW has not heard of in Shipshewana? We will be in the Elkhart area 4/11 through 4/15. Now, do I tell her or not, hmmmm.

I picked up the I-Pass, (Illinois) many years ago and it is recognized in most areas. Have a transponder for the motor home and for the car, The one in the car is wrapped in foil so I don't double pay. Has worked pretty well for me.
Old 03-31-2022, 10:32 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

The quilt show she is interested in is late June. Something like starting the 22nd of June.

After she put up with me long enough, I gave up on expanding the shop in the basement, and it has lavender drywall and a long arm machine now. She loves the machine more than me, which is good because I don't think my ego could tolerate the things she says to it.
Old 04-01-2022, 06:37 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

My DW also has. Long arm in the basement. I did tell her about the event, but all the workshops are already sold out. She is thinking next year.
Old 04-01-2022, 08:07 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Off topic now on DW recreations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
My DW also has. Long arm in the basement. I did tell her about the event, but all the workshops are already sold out. She is thinking next year.

We just talked about this at dinner. I think some things could not be booked until June 1st. I will suggest that she dig a bit deeper. I know she left a message on their answering system.

DW has a A1 long arm.
Old 04-02-2022, 07:18 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Not familiar with an A1, hers is a Crown Jewell II, from Baby Lock
Old 04-03-2022, 05:34 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongobird View Post
I have an RV coded pass for my RV issued in NY. It essentially gives me car rates when using the EZpass on the I-90 thruway.

I would like to make a couple of trips this summer, which would have me traveling the Ohio and Indiana I-90 toll road.

As near as I can tell, from scouring the websites, both Ohio and Indiana charge essentially truck rates for my Class A, due the height.

Does anyone know if there are any discounts for RVs, and where I sign up for them?

Electronic Toll Collection or ETC is not going away any time soon. While it is true that with 20+ states covered by one or more systems you need to do your research. Some states may charge a fee to get the RF "tag" and some may even charge a monthly fee, A number of the EZ Pass states only require you keep some money in your account ($20 to $30). It appears that the fees charged for using a Turnpike are controlled by the state you are driving in and not the state that issues the RF tag to you. One thing to remember that as states move to 100% ETC you will still get charged but they use Photo recognition of your license plate and are happy to charge you a sometimes hefty fee for the "service" of sending you a bill in the mail. (I have heard $7 to $10). Mass is 100% ETC and Ohio just went that way. Be careful when you hear that a state is eliminating toll booths. That is not the same as eliminating tolls. It just means they are going to 100% ETC and no person is collecting the toll. Google tolls in "state xxx" and you can learn the latest info. If you want the special RF tag, remember it can take a month or more to get the tag so plan ahead. One other advantage of ETC in some states like IL you no longer have to pull off the road or stop to pay and many times can continue at 55 mph.
Old 04-03-2022, 06:40 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Out-Of-State EZ-Pass Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongobird View Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although I do not know how your NY pass is coded, for about ten years I have had a NY issued EZ-Pass that I bought in Albany that is coded for my 35' Class A motorhome. My pass was based upon my coach's size and weight. Although I get a rate that is lower than making cash payments at the toll booths, I'm not getting "car rates," Traveling through states, including Ohio and Indiana, that accept EZ-Pass with my car in tow, I have NEVER had any issues over using my New York pass.
lewisedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:41 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Hi. We have stayed at the RV dedicated spots in OH several times. I think they are great. When we have stopped in only 1 or 2 other RVs, if any. These rest areas also have nice showers. Yes there are alot of trucks coming and going but no worse than camp grounds near highway. I wish more states had similar setups.
TerriErd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 11:28 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriErd View Post
Hi. We have stayed at the RV dedicated spots in OH several times. I think they are great. When we have stopped in only 1 or 2 other RVs, if any. These rest areas also have nice showers. Yes there are alot of trucks coming and going but no worse than camp grounds near highway. I wish more states had similar setups.
Showers are nice! I didn't expect that in a highway rest area.
Mongobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 11:33 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisedge View Post
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although I do not know how your NY pass is coded, for about ten years I have had a NY issued EZ-Pass that I bought in Albany that is coded for my 35' Class A motorhome. My pass was based upon my coach's size and weight. Although I get a rate that is lower than making cash payments at the toll booths, I'm not getting "car rates," Traveling through states, including Ohio and Indiana, that accept EZ-Pass with my car in tow, I have NEVER had any issues over using my New York pass.
To make sure you get the best rate for your motorhome in New York, you will have to talk to E-ZPass and verify that it is coded for a motorhome. I think the code is MHM and I have to tell you it took several calls and a couple of passes to get it right. But looking at the rates it's worth it. It will need a separate pass for different tow configurations. I have three passes. One for the motorhome, a second one for the motorhome and towing one axle, and the third for the motorhome and towing 2 axles.

That rate is unique to New York, and if other states had something similar, I would expect one would have to get a tag from that states agency.

If anyone is having issues getting a New York state tag for motorhome with E-ZPass, I am happy to try to help out.
Mongobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 05:47 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

tolls

i went thru there last June and the {Indiana, Ohio}tolls was 118.88 in our motorhome