Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2007, 08:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I bought my Spirit in December and have been faithfully visiting it weekly and taking it for a ride monthly ever since.
Today, I noticed that the vinyl floor covering is coming up in the middle like it wasn't glued down there. The edges are all under the cabinets or carpet depending on which side.
How worried should i be about this? My first instinct is to call the dealer and get it fixed. Then, I started thinking 'how will they fix it?' They will have to pull it up to glue it down. does that mean there will be a noticeable seem somewhere? With they choose to remove the cabinets or carpeting and not cut the vinyl? if the do that, will the cabinets be put back right? Will there be annoying squeaks forever more? Will the vinyls settle back down when it gets a little warmer?
Old 02-11-2007, 08:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I bought my Spirit in December and have been faithfully visiting it weekly and taking it for a ride monthly ever since.
Today, I noticed that the vinyl floor covering is coming up in the middle like it wasn't glued down there. The edges are all under the cabinets or carpet depending on which side.
How worried should i be about this? My first instinct is to call the dealer and get it fixed. Then, I started thinking 'how will they fix it?' They will have to pull it up to glue it down. does that mean there will be a noticeable seem somewhere? With they choose to remove the cabinets or carpeting and not cut the vinyl? if the do that, will the cabinets be put back right? Will there be annoying squeaks forever more? Will the vinyls settle back down when it gets a little warmer?
Old 02-11-2007, 08:23 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

There could be any number of things that are causing the problem, including (but not limited to) a moisture problem. If it were me, I would definately call the dealer and at least discuss the problem while it is still under warranty.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Agree with Tom....let the dealer check it while still in warranty.

A really good flooring guy can create a seam and make it disappear, depending on the pattern.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

If this was my coach, I would want it fixed because it is probably going to get worse over time. You concern over the quality of repairs is very valid - I would give the Winnie factory a call tomorrow and discuss the situation with them.

I know that many times I will look at solving a problem and never come up with an elegant solution - then later I find out a much better solution from somebody else. The repair of this might surprise you - it might be fairly simple.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

tps, this could be as simple as the adhesive being released by the winter cold, or as KazooTom said, it could be a moisture problem, and at minimum should be discussed with Winnebago asap to get it on the record...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Interesting thing happened when Iwent back out. The air pockets were gone. I had run the generator for a while and had the heat on when I noticed the vinyl coming up. After I left it alone a while, it's back to normal. could the heat inside and cold outside have caused this? I'm now afraid if i take it back, they won't find what I'm talking about.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:56 PM   #8

Our Vinyl flooring has no glue underneath it....nada...

It puffs a bit up front up when we run the floor heaters...
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:46 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Some years ago, I replaced a kitchen floor with a special vinyl from Armstrong that was installed by either gluing and/or stapling it around the perimeter only. No adhesive was required anywhere else. It was baggy and loose until about 48 hours after install, then it shrunk and pulled down tight to the subfloor. Wonder if they use something like that?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
installed by either gluing and/or stapling it around the perimeter only. No adhesive was required anywhere else. It was baggy and loose until about 48 hours after install, then it shrunk and pulled down tight to the subfloor. Wonder if they use something like that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apparently....it LOOKS nice and flat, has no movement when walked on, but it is not glued at all....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Our Vinyl flooring has no glue underneath it....nada... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arghh, your right, mine either, dont know what I was thinking, (or not)...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:59 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I would still let the Dealer and Winnie know, so that it is documented. Could be just fine..BUT....Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote