Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-20-2021, 06:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

My Minnie Winnie Makes The Grade -12,090'

We're sitting in Durango, Colorado after a couple stunning days in the high passes of the Rocky Mountains.

My '04 Ford V10 30' just breezed up and over 4 of the highest passes we've ever done in an RV. 12,200' and then three more about 11,000 feet. The last one from Silverton to Durango featured miles and miles of skinny road with no guard rails and huge vertical drop off, and dozens of hairpins. At 8% grade we made 37MPH smoothly in 2nd. The temp gauge never moved a hair. Going down i could hold 35MPH in 2nd and barely touched the brakes a few times. The steering and handling was precise smooth and easy. For a 17 year old RV I was very impressed.

My previous rig was a 25'Airstream TT and Suburban. That rig was not as capable as my Winnie on grades. I'm not even sure i would have tried the pass we did this morning.

When i first bought this Class C last summer i was really doubtful about where we would be able to go with it. As the wife said at lunch today, "There's nowhere higher than where we've been this week."

While sitting on the throne i notice that the bathroom door is held into the door frame with a floor-to-ceiling brass piano hinge and 38 screws! I feel like i got my $23,000 worth!
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 06:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I’m glad you’re having a great time. That’s beautiful country. We just towed our Micro Minnie from Ouray up-and-over to Durango in early June. We went from Ridgway State Park to Santa Rosa NM on that day. We also made our usual stop for a Blake’s Lottaburger with green chili in Bernalillo.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

12,200' was that Milner pass in RMNP? I rode that last in 2010 on my Moto Guzzi..here's my vacation video from then.
Fotoguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote