Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2021, 10:03 AM   #1
RV newbie

Murphy Bed Mattress Topper in 2021 View

Has anyone successfully placed a 2 inch or 3 inch topper on their Murphy bed queen mattress? We have a new 24D and I find the factory mattress rather uncomfortable..I would like something I can keep on the bed and store it that way, I know some take their toppers off and on, that’s too much work for me!!
Old 05-08-2021, 10:21 AM   #2
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famof3 View Post
Has anyone successfully placed a 2 inch or 3 inch topper on their Murphy bed queen mattress? We have a new 24D and I find the factory mattress rather uncomfortable..I would like something I can keep on the bed and store it that way, I know some take their toppers off and on, that’s too much work for me!!
We have had a mattress pad on ours for a couple of years, a short queen version which is about 2 inches thick. Goes up with all of the other bedding after bed is all nicely made up .... pad, fitted bottom sheet, top sheet and a down comforter. Pillows upright against the headboard. Was an Amazon purchase, couldn’t find any link for that order.

Hope that helps.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:40 AM   #3
RV newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
We have had a mattress pad on ours for a couple of years, a short queen version which is about 2 inches thick. Goes up with all of the other bedding after bed is all nicely made up .... pad, fitted bottom sheet, top sheet and a down comforter. Pillows upright against the headboard. Was an Amazon purchase, couldn’t find any link for that order.

Hope that helps.
Yes, it sure does help!! Thanks so much!
Old 05-08-2021, 11:08 AM   #4
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famof3 View Post
Yes, it sure does help!! Thanks so much!
You are welcome!

BTW, it’s a fitted mattress pad ... we tuck in the small head portion of the mattress in it, too. It all folds up fine.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post

Hope that helps.
Hello, I was thinking of using a 3 inch Tempur Pedic topper, it weighs 36.6 lbs. Do you happen to know how much your 2 inch topper weighs? I was worried about straining the motor.
Thanks so much.
vagabondrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 09:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I tried 6 toppers and the Tempur pedic Adapt was the worst one…Too soft not dense enough for any kind of comfort. We are really happy with our Titanflex Medium Firm 3” short queen by Brooklyn Bedding. 2nd was the Viscosoft but the Titanflex is perfect even for side sleepers no more shoulder pain. The 24D factory mattress is aweful! We joke the dinette is more comfortable. Give the Titanflex a try. The first couple times we had to tuck a little at the top when putting bed away but we no longer need to after several uses. We always help the bed up because I worry about the motor as well.
JessiJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 03:56 PM   #7
rth
Winnebago Camper

We also are unhappy with the standard mattress. Putting a topper on is not an option as it would be too hard for my wife to get up on. Has any one replaced the standard mattress by taking it out of the cover??? You can get custom mattresses made.
rth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 02:57 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I thought about it, since I also dislike the extra height. The bed already is too high without a topper. The problem is the factory mattress is only a 5”. I have been to 4 custom mattress companies near me, and have tried a few 6” and 7” mattresses. If anyone has found a 5-6” mattress that is actually comfortable please share with us
Old 02-01-2024, 02:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for this input. We have the Navion version of the 2021 24D. Just took your input and ordered the Titanflex Medium Firm 3” short queen by Brooklyn Bedding last week. It arrived yesterday, and it is just right. We had had a much cheaper topper that did fine when we got it, but it wore, and our backs hurt. Like you said, the Titanflex fits perfectly, thought the first time we closed it, we weren’t sure. But it does!

In terms of the height, we have been using a one step foldable step on each side of the bed since we got our Navion. It folds flat, is light weight, and stores on top of the water pump under the couch, so easy to reach before we put the bed down.

Thanks for the input. It really helped.
MNnavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 05:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I sleep on my back and I like it but my husband is a heavy guy and a side sleeper. He doesn’t find it that comfortable. We are flying down to Florida to check out the Custom Comfort Matrress in Fort Lauderdale. On their website it shows the the view 24D murphy bed matress. For the price I need to try out before a purchase. I think the price quote was $1200.00. But, I’m not finding another custom mattress that is split and with buckles underneath.
Old 02-02-2024, 05:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

If you are looking for a total mattress replacement, not a topper, I cannot recommend highly enough mattressinsider.com. Our previous RV was a Prism (by Coachman), and it had the most terrible mattress we’ve ever had. Mattress Insider made us a completely new one. The will place the split wherever you like. We loved that mattress more than any other we’ve EVER had, and we have been married over 60 years, so lots of mattresses. It was the only reason we were sad to give up that RV!! Check it out.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:09 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I will definitely look into this… Thanks!!! Do you recall the model of the one you liked?
Old 02-02-2024, 06:10 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Worse mattress than the Winnebago view?!!! How is this possible! Lol
Old 02-02-2024, 06:38 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Sorry, I don’t. It was a high end one and well worth it. There place is in Denver, and they shipped it.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:40 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Yes, I just found the receipt! It was the 9 in custom Scarsdale. It was perfect for that RV. I am sure that they will be able to give you advice for your RV. They were totally helpful.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:49 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I appreciate the info…I might give them a call tomorrow.

Tags
view