Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-24-2020, 08:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Mud flap repair after blow out

Hey crew,

I lost a mud flap and bent the aluminum cross piece at the rear passenger tires when my inside tire caught some debris and blew out. The aluminum foil sheeting behind the tires tore back A bit and the floor board up above is now a little exposed to the elements. This seems like it would be a problem that others have experienced. Any recommendation for a repair kit or DIY repair? I’ll post photos in the morning
The Compadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Compadre View Post
Hey crew,

I lost a mud flap and bent the aluminum cross piece at the rear passenger tires when my inside tire caught some debris and blew out. The aluminum foil sheeting behind the tires tore back A bit and the floor board up above is now a little exposed to the elements. This seems like it would be a problem that others have experienced. Any recommendation for a repair kit or DIY repair? I’ll post photos in the morning
Well,
Been there done that, more than once. Yep, sometimes a blowout, can cause some serious damage. As for the mud flap, if yours is tore up pretty good, you can consider some replacement generic types from Napa Auto Parts. I think I paid around $20 for two but, it's been a while so, a phone call would get answers on that for ya.

As for the structural stuff above and or behind that blowout area, I'm not sure of any "Kit" as, about 99.99% of most motorhomes are built differently so, the repair of the *behind* area of those duals, is gonna be individual for your coach. You'll have to analyze just kind of materieals, i.e. angle iron/aluminum, sheet metal, wood, etc. will be needed. And, you'll more than likely need some sealant to seal all that up from the elements/mud etc. when you're all done with the repairs.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for your help with this. I cleaned up the shrapnel and broke apart the bent/damaged aluminum framing, used some self tappers to build out a new frame, stuff with styrofoam and sealed it off with aluminum sheeting. Finished by sealing the sheeting with silicone and sealing the edged with spray foam. Came out great and then i attached new mud flap from napa.

Really appreciate your help and $0.02!! Cheers
The Compadre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair