Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2005, 09:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Took our new Suncruiser down to Laguna Seca Rec Area for the weekend and on the way home spotted a mouse under the passenger side of the carpeted floor. It escaped up behind the dash. Any suggestions on (1) how it got into the coach and (2) how to trap it.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

GOOD LUCK Godfather, I had a once mouse get fried in my heater coils an loose head in fan blower vibrating it, like crazy.
Scared the h!!! out of wife an sister inlaw.
I now have the old reliable mouse traps situated thru out compartments of coach. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 02:51 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

He probably came up a jack, power cord or whatever and found a small crack to get in to the underbelly and then he was in.

How to get rid of him...well a rat snake works really well.

Set you a couple of mouse traps and wait. To keep them out, make sure everything is sealed from the bottom. Use bronze wool (like steel wool only is does not rust) from a marine store to pack into any cracks and crevices. I wrap a piece around the power cord to seal up the area around the hole.

I have found that fabric softner sheets in the lockers and areas like that are very effective.

How does the wife feel about snakes...

Ken
Old 06-28-2005, 02:08 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How does the wife feel about snakes... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You guys are too much! If my wife even heard the words 'snake in the camper', that'd be the end of the world as I know it...
I agree that a good ol mousetrap will work fine. And that Bounce works good to repel critters & bugs for me too.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I like the old fashion traps with peanut butter as bait. I like to see them in the traps to verify that I got 'em.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:54 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

AKBrick, I sent you a PM. No problem.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I hear they come in the furnace exhaust.There is a screen cover you can get for it.
jerry7up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

"A mouse in the house" yiiks!
out with the cannons.

2timer
Old 06-29-2005, 04:15 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hi Godfather: I've had that problem once or twice. I used a mouse trap with cheese ( or what ever) once they were caught I put bounce fabric sheets hidden around the MH havn't seen one now going on 2 years now.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:27 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Whatever you do, don't use mouse poisen. voice of experience
norty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:54 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Why not the poison norty? I sealed all areas where they my come in, with silicon...not seen any yet.
P.S. By the way... Welcome to iRV2.com Good to have you aboard

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Besides sealing all holes as suggested you may want to prevent the critters from coming aboard in the first place. Here's what I found:

After learning that mice hate the smell of mint I started spraying a certain brand of crawling insect killer around the motorhome's tires. This particular spray contains oil of rosemary, which smells like peppermint. So far I've had zero mouse visitations since using this stuff. As a bonus, the spray also prevents ants from coming aboard, which is what it was designed to do in the first place .

The spray is manufactured by Bioganic Co. Another brand that can be used is Victor Co. They're not always easy to find, but they do the trick.

mr. ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:31 PM   #13

......use a weasel for a few days[smell keeps critters away] or a hungry cat if that doesn't work....geofkaye
Old 06-30-2005, 01:34 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Why not the poison norty? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Because the little critter gets sick, crawls away to some unknown hideaway in your coach, and dies. Not long after that you've got a stench that you won't be able to find.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:57 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by troth:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Why not the poison norty? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Because the little critter gets sick, crawls away to some unknown hideaway in your coach, and dies. Not long after that you've got a stench that you won't be able to find. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Of Course What was I thinking

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:06 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Re dead mice...
This is not usually a problem - most mouse baits make the rodent thirsty and he (hopefully) goes somewhere else to look for water. Or you may end up with a very dessicated mouse somewhere, which is not usually a smell problem. But if the little guy dies on a heat coil or some place like that, it can get unplesant!

The "sticky strips", which capture animals alive are an alternative. The are available at Lowes, Home Depot, and hardware stores. We caught a small rat in the motorhome that way last year. The glue on these strips is incredibly sticky and even one paw on it will trap the pest. Be sure to where leather or heavy canvas gloves to get rid of the srip and rodent.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:53 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Godfather....why not "make him an offer he can't refuse". Teeheehehehe.

Sorry.....couldn't resist!

You could try laying out those sticky glue traps. You won't have to clean up any mouse guts with these.
WinnieBunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 05:25 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Want a cat? Have a surplus and will be glad to supply one or more. Guaranteed to catch and kill mice and snakes.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 06:09 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jerry7up:
I hear they come in the furnace exhaust.There is a screen cover you can get for it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I'v seen them before, little domes of screen. Jusst where do you get them from?
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 10:23 AM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Location: Pasadena, MD, USA (between Baltimore and Annapolis)
My wife won't kill a spider let alone a mouse! She uses a "Mice Cube" when we have the little critters around; captures them, and then takes them out into the woods for release. Here are a couple of links if you are so inclined to remove the critters with out sending them to Mouse Heaven!

http://www.epinions.com/content_3798179972

http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/Merchant2/mercha...ategory_Code=WDCRT01

Jack Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote