Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Just changed over. How many miles do you go between oil changes. This is not the extended life, but the regular 5/30 Mobile 1. Thanks
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Just changed over. How many miles do you go between oil changes. This is not the extended life, but the regular 5/30 Mobile 1. Thanks
Old 08-28-2008, 11:07 AM   #3

What took you so long to change over?

If you are talking about Mobil 1 oil, I just change mine yearly, which turned out to be 3,880 miles this year.....last year it was closer to 4,500 miles.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Just like the cows tail I always come wagging behind. Thanks
Old 08-28-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I don't use Mobil 1, but I do use Synthetic with the M1-302 Mobile 1 filter. I change 6 months or 6,000 miles...
My extended warranty states every 5,000 miles with Dino Oil.. At six months I never go beyond the limit they set for mileage. Works for me...
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Jim:

I use Mobil 1 full synthetic in my cars and go 6K miles. I used it in the old Adventurer and changed it at 5K or annually, whichever occurred first. The 454 on that Adventurer had 97K miles on it when I traded it and ran like a top and never used a drop of oil.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Gary,

What do you do in the diesel? Inquiring minds want to know...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pusherman:
Gary,

What do you do in the diesel? Inquiring minds want to know... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rotella T, 15W40
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

When I had my 8.1 liter Workhorse, I switched over to AMSOIL because of the longer change interval. We were putting 10,000 miles a year on the coach so that way I could change the oil once a year.

With my new diesel, I just took a sample of my oil and mailed it in to Oil Analyzers, Inc. where they do a lab test on the oil and tell me when it should be changed. Since you have to buy something like 7 gallons of oil for a diesel, it makes sense to pay the $20 for the lab test. This is also more environmentally sound because you are not disposing of 'good' oil prematurely. I should get my results in a few days.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

I use the the regular 5/30 Mobile 1 and go 10,000 miles between changes. Traded in my last car at 174,000 miles and it still didn't use a drop of oil.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:59 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I've been using the 5W30 Mobile 1 for years but still stick with 3000 miles in the MH. This is a heck of an investment to take any chances. In the Explorer I go to factory recommend 5000.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

I was one of the first users of Mobil 1 back in the early 1970s. Originally Mobil 1 advertised it was good for a year or 25,000 miles, whichever came first. I took them at their word. I suspect they stopped advertising that to avoid litigation if someone had a problem which probably wasn't related to the oil but the manufacturer might look for any excuse to get out of a warranty claim.

Eventually I owned a Saab in which I used Mobil 1. At 79,000 miles the clutch went out. I had told my independent mechanic about Mobil 1 and he was interested. When he worked on the clutch he asked if I minded if he removed the heads and did a little investigating. I told him to go ahead. When I returned to pick up the car he said he was amazed and told me my pistons and cylinders still had original machining marks and demonstrated no wear.

As an aside, we lived in Denver and the car never was garaged summer or winter. With the Mobil 1 the car turned over immediately even when it was below zero outside. I sold that car after about 130,000 miles and 7 years and it still had the original battery which never had been strained to start the car and the car never needed additional oil. The buyer ran it another year before the battery finally failed.

Also, my mechanic's son raced small "cars" in some sort of Honda engine racing group. That group requires that the engines be strictly stock. After being sold on Mobil 1 he started putting it in his son's engine to see if it really cut down on friction. His son so outran the competition that race officials regularly required complete inspections of his son's car to make sure it was strictly stock. They couldn't believe that he hadn't done something to soup up the engine.

Needless to say I still use Mobil 1 (despite hating to contribute to the company's obscene profits).

Chuck
Old 08-29-2008, 07:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Mobil 1 use to tell everyone a year for time. I still change mine every six months or 3,000 miles (which I never hit). Probably excessive, but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:50 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Been using Mobil-1 in our cars, all 3 Honda Gens, and the old 85' 454, and it's gen. None have ever used a drop of oil. I do the 3000mi change as well, and the portable Honda's as necessary.

IMO, the "extended" Mobil-1 is a sales hype just to boost sales. Synthetic is synthetic, and it ain't broke...

PS- I also use the Mobil-1 filters just because of content and construction. It's amazing what crud and dust is left in some cheaper filters.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:55 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I've never used synthetic oils, but I'm getting convinced by this thread. Do I need to flush the system? Any problems or advice with switching over to Mobil 1?
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:05 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCVJeff:
Been using Mobil-1 in our cars, all 3 Honda Gens, and the old 85' 454, and it's gen. None have ever used a drop of oil. I do the 3000mi change as well, and the portable Honda's as necessary.

IMO, the "extended" Mobil-1 is a sales hype just to boost sales. Synthetic is synthetic, and it ain't broke...

PS- I also use the Mobil-1 filters just because of content and construction. It's amazing what crud and dust is left in some cheaper filters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think the Extended Service Mobile 1 is so specified on the basis of it's additive package and is in direct competition with Amsoil for whom I was once a dealer.In this light,I use the Extended Service M-1.
With respect to crud and dust in oil filters you are absolutely correct and being aware of this gives you a reason to be suspicious of ANY filter you buy.In the last year I have closely inspected about 20 oil filters and found magnetic particles in all but 3.I was happy to find 2 Allison Filters that were "clean as a whistle".Of course,the Allison filters being clean is no surprise as the filters are installed on Allison transmissions while they are under warranty and as such Allison has a vested interest in not adding iron bits to their transmissions!

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:35 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

steelhead_bluesman:

Originally Mobil 1 suggested waiting at least 5 or 6,000 miles to break in an engine or else the lack of friction would make it hard to get rings properly seated, etc. Now I understand that, at least as of several years ago, Chevy Corvettes come from the factory with Mobil 1 so I suspect there is no longer major concern about minimum mileage to switch over.

The same is not true when dealing with high mileage vehicles. The cleaning action of Mobil 1 could cause problems with an older engine if there is a lot of wear and a lot of carbon and sludge buildup. Once the engine is cleaned up, due to the mileage and wear there could be a problem with a lack of compression.

Chuck
Old 09-01-2008, 04:53 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

I am puzzled by a couple of comments in this thread. It seems to me that some of the posters think that an oil filter is supposed to come off clean. This is unequivocally untrue. The sole purpose of an oil filter is to catch and retain contaminants to keep them from circulating and damaging the engine. If I find a filter that is full of crud, I know it is a good one and has done it's job.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChasA:
I am puzzled by a couple of comments in this thread. It seems to me that some of the posters think that an oil filter is supposed to come off clean. This is unequivocally untrue. The sole purpose of an oil filter is to catch and retain contaminants to keep them from circulating and damaging the engine. If I find a filter that is full of crud, I know it is a good one and has done it's job. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry,you don't understand what has been said here.These filters to which I refer,are brand new oil filters out of the box and badly contaminated with particles of magnetic material.This has been discussed in past posts under"contaminated oil filters"

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:54 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

I used Mobile 1 and passed/used a quart every 3,000 miles, now I use another brand of Synthetic and only use .25 to .50 every 3,000 miles. Both were 10W30 weight, all highway and no cold weather starts.
The other brand stays cleaner longer. the Mobil 1 was almost black in 2,000 miles, even with a wix 1060 filter..
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote