Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-18-2021, 05:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Maintenance Jacks for DP

I have an Itasca Meridian 34H, and now that I have it indoors, I thought I might do some work on it. Aside from fluid changes, I think the shocks are original and I might replace them. I am also considering an antisway bar.

But without getting into the particulars of those repairs, I thought I would ask what people are using for maintenance jacks, and what works well for them

At the same time, I would appreciate any recommendations on jack stands.

This is a heavy rig, and I know that I won't be using a collapsible jack that I find on eBay for under $100.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Looks like you are in the 26-28K weight range. I looked at a web site a while back that had stands and ramps for heavy trucks, can't find it now but they were very pricey. I ended up making ramps out of 2X10s bolted together and mounted on plywood. A double pair for the rears, they work great.
For stands, my rig only weighs 11K and I used 12 ton jack stands plus laid the tires under there just in case. If I recall your stands should be rated double your weight. To lift that puppy you will need air over hydraulic. I had to use 2-3.5 ton floor jacks to raise the rear of my small rig, when I tried one it felt like it was going to break, it took all I had to pump it. I used both a US made OTC and a brand new Daytona.
I see some 20 ton stands on Amazon in the $200 range, I'd probably feel more comfortable with the screw style.
I have a lot of lumber from job sites that I use for blocks and safety stops, some very large chunks of gluelam.

edit: HF has a 22 ton air over hydraulic floor jack with good reviews for $350 which I considered buying and still might.
Old 11-18-2021, 07:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Remember when looking at jack stands that most (if not all) are rated for 'a pair'--each stand can only support half of the rated load!

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Remember when looking at jack stands that most (if not all) are rated for 'a pair'--each stand can only support half of the rated load!
That's where I remembered the double number, I just didn't know how to explain it. Even with jack stands rated well over the weight of the vehicle I still never trust them 100% and will never crawl under without the tires and wheels shoved under there too, or some big chunks of gluelam.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I know some will cringe but i use the leveling jacks to raise one end or the other (journey 36g) and then I put a pair of 22 ton jack stands under and then lower slightly to take some of the weight off the jacks and putting some on the stands.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by neub View Post
I know some will cringe but i use the leveling jacks to raise one end or the other (journey 36g) and then I put a pair of 22 ton jack stands under and then lower slightly to take some of the weight off the jacks and putting some on the stands.
Me too
Jrampey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Well, one of my projects in the queue is to service the leveling jacks. Two of them are to the point when I have to place heavy bars under them to pry them up into a retracted position (well the heavy bars, and then a 5 ton jack).

So I would like to take off the hydraulic fittings while things are jacked up. But worse, they are very very difficult to retract.

I am thinking that I may need several 20 ton bottle jacks and at least on pair of jack stands rated for 20 ton.

I say 20 ton because the weight will not be placed on them symmetrically, so there should be a bit of a safety factor.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by neub;3909053[B
]I know some will cringe[/B] but i use the leveling jacks to raise one end or the other (journey 36g) and then I put a pair of 22 ton jack stands under and then lower slightly to take some of the weight off the jacks and putting some on the stands.
Oh let'm cringe!
I've been using the leveling jacks for decades, ain't dead yet. If there's specific operations I need to do, I'll use them AND a 20T bottle jack. Maybe one of these days I'll pick up a pair of heavier jack stands.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

you have to use large truck rated equipment, but I also use the "made out of treated lumber " truck ramps , have never used the leveling jacks , but may very well work with stands , ramps later for safety
gabbyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:51 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Fully loaded, the front end of your 34h Journey should weigh less than about 10000 pounds, that's 5 tons. The rear end under about 20000 pounds, or 10 tons.

So remember that when thinking bottle jacks. I always jack up the front with the leveler jacks, then place blocks under the frame and lower down as needed.

I'm sure there are lots of ways to do it so that your work area is clear.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I always use wood blocks.
Truckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 01:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
I always use wood blocks.
Care to assure that the stress is cross-grain is important.
Old 11-27-2021, 01:58 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Oh let'm cringe!
I've been using the leveling jacks for decades, ain't dead yet. If there's specific operations I need to do, I'll use them AND a 20T bottle jack. Maybe one of these days I'll pick up a pair of heavier jack stands.
Scott
Yes, I've use them for changing tires too. Also let the tire shop change all 6 tires while the coach was elevated by the leveling jacks, with jack-stands, just in case...Larry, 2014 Reyo
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 02:07 PM   #14
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by neub View Post
Cringe they might but so long as you only do one side at a time, and use tire chocks, you should be fine. My parking break applies to both wheels, so it would work for me.
Old 02-06-2022, 05:40 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone for the thoughts.
Old 02-06-2022, 06:35 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

I ended up buying the HF 20 ton air/hydraulic bottle jack after all and it works great on my rig and leaves room to place jack stands unlike the floor jacks. Lifts it pretty quick too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HF 20T.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	181956   Click image for larger version

Name:	HF 20T W Plate.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	181957  

Tags
jacks, maintenance