Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2005, 04:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Continuing with another "mystery". While traveling and while parked, the LP alarm is silent (green light). After storing for a day or two, alarm goes off and stays on. I've checked fittings on the stove, furnace, water heater and refrigerator, all seem fine. So, I shut off the main valve at the LP tank, tried to light the stove top (and couldn't) so I was convinced no gas was getting into the coach. After a day in storage, alarm is on again! I think I've ruled out a leak. Is my alarm on the fritz?
Old 06-30-2005, 04:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Continuing with another "mystery". While traveling and while parked, the LP alarm is silent (green light). After storing for a day or two, alarm goes off and stays on. I've checked fittings on the stove, furnace, water heater and refrigerator, all seem fine. So, I shut off the main valve at the LP tank, tried to light the stove top (and couldn't) so I was convinced no gas was getting into the coach. After a day in storage, alarm is on again! I think I've ruled out a leak. Is my alarm on the fritz?
Old 06-30-2005, 04:26 AM   #3

Why would you store the rig without engaging the battery disconnect? The first thing I would check, is the condition of your coach batteries. Good chance you are hearing a low-voltage alarm.
Stan Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Stan,
Not sure why you presume that I don't engage the battery disconnect when storing the MH but, yes, the MH is always plugging in and the battery disconnect is always engaged. Have also put the meter on the coach batteries and they are fully charged. This is definately an LP alarm, not a low votage alarm. Nonetheless, appreciate the thought.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The manual for my LP detector lists a bunch of other things that can cause an alarm including alcohol, liquor, kerosene, gasoline, deodorants, colognes, propellants used in spray cans, and even vapors from glues and adhesives used in the manufacture of the RV. I know your unit is not brand new, but have you have anything repaired recently using an adhesive.

I'm thinking since it requires the unit being closed up for a day or two that it's probably one of these low level sources that takes time to build up to a level that gets detected. Do you store any of those things in the RV?
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:48 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Tom that items in the rig other than Lp can triggle the alarm.
But thinking out loud here, if the battery disconnect is engaged, there is no power to the alarm. Right? Then what would triggle an alarm that has no power to it? Do those things have a back up batter inside of them? Like a 9V or something? Could that be bad?
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

On my coach I have a switch for the LP-detector which shuts off LP from tank an the LP detector. The ckt has a 1-amp fuse off the coach battery. One of those parasitic loads that drain coach batt along with your radio,cb,ect. Like others have said coach closed up in hot weather can trigger other odors to activate LP detector. Open a couple of roof vents an see if that eliminates the detector from coming on. --"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 03:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Islapp,
My apologies.......It's all in the definition of "disconnect". What I meant to say is the battery disconnect switch located in the stairwell is switched to the "on" position which really means that the disconnect switch is "off" therefore allowing shore power to feed into the coach and charge the batteries. I'll be checking the literature today to find if the alarm has a back up battery. Really appreciate the feedback from everyone.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:15 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Had a similar problem w/my LP Detector sounding off; and jumped thru all kinds of hoops. Finally called CCI Controls (800-757-3742; Lee) & they sent me a free replacement, even tho I was a month past warranty.

They confirmed that the sensor was bad; and that they may last only 2 to 3 years. A new one is about $80 + S&H.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 01:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Michaels... Soon after we pulled out of Tucson 1 month ago, we begain getting an LP alarm.. Went thru all the regular drills, shuting off the supply, bleeding off the stove burners, checked for anything in the coach to trigger it, nothing solved it. Started thru the "what has changed, what is different" analysis drill.. It occured that all the outside storage cabinets are connected with each other via the heating ducts, and of course to the inside of the coach via the floor heating ducts. thus the cabinets are really "inside". Next flash, was to recall that my wifes liquid laundry detergent, in an outside cabinet, lays on its side. A look showed a slight (and I do mean slight)"bead" of leaked detergent, and a strong smell of the stuff in the cabinet. A sniff at the inside ductnearest the LP sensor, revealed a VERY slight odor of the soap. There are two ducts that straddle the sensor.I removed and cleaned the detergent bottle, vented the outside cabinet for about a half hour, and , "Voila". no more false alarms. Been 2 weeks now and all is well, SO, check what "smells" are in the cabinets, sniff the ducts, and I bet you find the culprit.
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 10:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Do not assume it is not a defective LP Alarm. We had the same problem with our 34D and the cure was a new alarm. The wife's hairspray still sets it off, but it does not go off without an assignable cause.

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:34 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Solved! Good news folks. Sent the alarm to CCI and got a call yesterday saying they determined the alarm was faulty and were mailing a new one that day, under warranty. Was told by a CCI technician that the sensors ussualy only work for 2-3 then become too sensitive to use. You'd think they would address the sensor issue.......oh well. Thanks for the input and happy traveling.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:42 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Sensors only work for 2-3 what? Months, years?
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:28 PM   #14

...formaldhyde off gassing......geofkaye
Old 07-17-2005, 02:48 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Sorry Islapp, that's 2-3 years.