Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

For the past month or so, everytime we return from a weekend outing, the LP detector goes off. After some time, the detector stops beeping.

When we park the coach at home, I connect electric, crack a window, and open and turn one of the roof vents on.

The only other time the detector has gone off is when I was fueling and dumping tanks at the same time last year. Will never do that again, the roof vent that was on drew the gas fumes right into the coach.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

For the past month or so, everytime we return from a weekend outing, the LP detector goes off. After some time, the detector stops beeping.

When we park the coach at home, I connect electric, crack a window, and open and turn one of the roof vents on.

The only other time the detector has gone off is when I was fueling and dumping tanks at the same time last year. Will never do that again, the roof vent that was on drew the gas fumes right into the coach.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

we have a 2005 Itasca Sunrise and I just replaced the LP detector. I was told that they do wear out or lose the ability to detect LP so they just go off to advise you they are ready to be replaced. Got the new one installed and no more problems.

2005 Itasca Sunrise 33V Workhorse Chassis
Old Odyssey Toad
Bayway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Mine works fine as long as there are no onions or potatoes setting on the floor around the unit, no one has used spray cologne or air fresher anywhere in the coach, nothing is in the trash can or trash bag that has an odor of any kind, which means it usually goes off about 30 minutes to an hour after we've gotten in bed. Its been replaced once under warranty but it still does the same tricks. The company just says these units just detect smells and don't necessarily know if its LPG or not. Consequently I have mine unplugged about 1/2 the time, which I know is dangerous, but what good is the thing if you never know when its yelling "Wolf"?
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Ron, our first LP detector did the same thing as you described. Pull your paperwork out of your owner's folder and give the company a call. The company will mail you another one. A few screws and one clip and you're back in business. Very easy and a very important alarm to have.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Ron, We're on our third one, I gave up and just unplug it when we get home and the motorhome goes in the barn. I have talked to the factory tachs and was not a very good experience. Good luck, Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:46 AM   #7
JC2
Winnie-Wise

We just replaced our original LP detector which was about 4 yrs old after it started giving us the "going off about 30 minutes after going to bed at night wakeup call". I've found in the past that these things usually last 3-5 yrs and should be replaced for sure after 5yrs.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The LP detector ...is that the one in the bedroom?
If it is , mine went off as a result of the battery voltage being low. i had left the battery disconnect switch on when I put the coach back in storage after a trip. I went to the coach to do some maintenance and after turning on some lites and such the thing (LP?) started beeping. I started the engine on the coach and ran it for a while and that took care of the beeping. Am I mistaken in thinking that the detector is a CO2 detector or a sensor that detects low oxygen?
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

So, after 8 hours of beeping, I reset it and 30 seconds later it went off again. I then closed the propane tnak valve, and within 10 seconds the alarm stopped. After work, I turned the propane tank back on and after 3 days the alarm has not gone off again.

Heading to GNR next week, and am going to pick a replacement up.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I saw them today at the surplus store for $19.95.... Look in the counter where the store clerk is at.
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Just a thought . . .

When you get home, before the problem manifests itself, are you housecleaning? Like mopping the floor? I have discovered that there are a few floor cleaning solutions that the LP detector will alert on.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:10 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Getting the coach ready for the trip to GNR today and the alarm starts beeping, then stops and sometimes just is one long beep.

Will stop by surplus, thanks.....