Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2021, 05:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Lost Fuel Prime 2002 Itasca Horizon IKP34HD

I own a 2002 Horizon Itasca model IKP34HD with a Cat 330 HP engine that I've owned less than a year.
I read that I need to drain the fuel/water separator, which I've never done before and I guess I 'messed up'!
I opened the valve on the fuel/water separator that is mounted between the radiator and the radiator grill and drained about a 1/2 quart of fuel. There was very little water that came out.
Later when I started the engine it ran for a couple minutes and stopped running!
No matter how much I crank it, it will not start!
As best I can determined from reading comments on the web, I drained too much fuel, and lost the fuel line prime and I don't know how to re-prime the fuel line!
Some on the forum said to remove this filter that I drained, fill it with diesel fuel and it should start.
There isn't nearly enough room to get my hands between the radiator and the grill, and it isn't a clear pathway to get to the filter and bring it down under the body!
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to solve my problem?
Bill Myers
Bill Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 07:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You probably have an air lock, loosen one of the injector lines, crank till it starts then re-tighten.
Old 12-15-2021, 02:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I don't know what to look for or where to find an injector line.
I loosened a connector or the fuel/water separator and applied low pressure to the fuel tank. The fuel/water separator is now full of fuel but it still wont start!
Old 12-15-2021, 02:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

If there is air after the high pressure pump but before the injectors it will compress resulting in low pressure to the injectors which will not be enough to overcome the pressure in the cylinders so no injection will occur. I don't know enough about your engine, whether it is common rail or not but wherever the fuel goes to the injectors or rails that's where a fitting needs to be cracked loose to bleed the air while cranking, even at the high pressure side of the pump will work..
Old 12-15-2021, 03:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Based on the Itasca paperwork the engine is a 2002 Caterpillar CFE 7.2L 330 HP.
I'm quit familiar with gas engines but not so with diesel engines.
I don't even know where to look for the fuel pump on this engine!
To observe the top of the engine the bed has to be raised and two metal panels removed. Quite a hassle!
I had the son of my regular RV tech come look at it today. He ensured the fuel/water separator was full of fuel but he could not find another filter nor a primer pump in the engine compartment.
He said he & his dad would come back at a later date to see if they can 'fix' it.
I see on the internet that others have purchased a primer pump and installed them on their C7 engines, right at the engine's fuel pump.
I'm a pretty good gas mechanic but I'm really 'blind' when trying to solve this diesel engine issue. ��
Old 12-16-2021, 06:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Our 2005 journey with a 350 cat 7.2 has a second fuel filter high up on the passenger side of the motor and is accessed from the hatch under the bed. Our motor did not come with a primer pump from the factory. When I lost prime after changing both filters I did as you did...loosened the water seperator filter and applied air pressure until fuel came out and then i had to repeat the process by loosening the upper fuel filter and applying air pressure until fuel came out from the upper filter.
Old 12-16-2021, 07:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

My 2002 Itasca has only one filter and no primer pump!
The mistake I made was that I didn't know the filter had to be filled before starting the engine.
I started the engine and it only ran about 1-2 minutes, then died. It 'drained' what fuel there was in the high pressure side then died.
Now I understand that I have to find the fuel return line, disconnect it at the pump, apply vacuum to this line until fuel comes out. Then it supposedly will start.
Old 12-16-2021, 08:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hopefully Fixed!?!

I disconnected the fuel return hose and unscrewed the pressure regulator from the back of the head. There is actually two regulators, one in the elbow out of the head, and one screwed into the elbow!
With both removed I pressurized the fuel tank for 2 minutes then I reinstalled the two pressure regulators and return hose.
I put constant low air pressure into the tank and cranked the engine at the same time.
It started!
I let it run for 40 minutes, turned it off, waited 5 minutes and it started right up again.
I let it run for another 10 minutes and turned it off.
After 5 minutes I started it again and it is still running after 10 minutes!
I believe (hopefully) it is now 'fixed'!
These CAT C7 engines are a 'burger' if you ever let the injector line run dry!!
I've sure learned a lesson!
Old 12-26-2021, 04:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

You got it running, good for you! And you learned a lot in the process. I went through the same experience. Ugly job Next! Next time, pre-fill the new filter separator. I keep a spare drain bowl so I can replace the whole filled assembly as soon as I get the old one loosened. My 2002 Horizon will allow me to get a strap wrench on through the rear grille. With the engine rear cover open, reach down and grab it with your right hand, after loosening with your left. As soon as it is off, install the new pre-filled one.
Kvw613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 04:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Yep! I never thought that draining the filter/separator would cause such an issue!
I erroneously thought the fuel system would fill it back up once I started the engine. Boy, was I wrong! It ran for about 3-5 minutes then died!
It's hard to believe that the fuel system can trap air in the injector rails.
Old 12-26-2021, 06:36 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Myers View Post
Yep! I never thought that draining the filter/separator would cause such an issue!
I erroneously thought the fuel system would fill it back up once I started the engine. Boy, was I wrong! It ran for about 3-5 minutes then died!
It's hard to believe that the fuel system can trap air in the injector rails.

The injector pump is a distributor that develops well over 1,000 psi of fuel pressure to pop open each injector so a small cushion of air can and will defeat the system. After you drain the fuel filter or separator you need to refill it with fuel or something to clean and lubricate the injector pump (Marvel Mystery Oil,Dexron I ATF, DieselClean). When you air lock the system really bad sometimes you have to loosen the fuel pipe at each injector and bleed them individually too. If there is not a separate lift pump I usually will install and small electric one before the fuel filter and separator to make bleeding that side of the system easier.
Old 12-26-2021, 09:52 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

In case you want to add a secondary fuel filter and priming pump this thread may be helpful:
Relocated Fuel Filter & Added Priming Pump

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, fuel