Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-14-2015, 11:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Looking For Guidance

Picked up a 2010 Sightseer 37L this month. It only has 17,000 miles on it.
I have no idea of the maintenance history of this rig. And no maintenance / owners manuals. I'd like to start getting it ready for the Spring season. Don't know if or when oil's - filters or regular recommended Winnebago preventive maintenance items might have been done, if at all. We are new to RVing and Winnebago. What are the big things I should do now.
Thanks for any advice.
Mike In NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Congratulations on your new 2-U coach. Transmission service intervals, if a gas powered coach, is every 30,000 miles. Oil/filter change every 3,000 miles unless using a full synthetic then you can go 5-7,000 miles between oil changes.

With only 17,000 miles, transmission should be OK, unless fluid on trans dip stick is brown--if pink, should be OK.

Personally I would do an oil & filter change to be safe, also if it's on the Ford f53 chassis, there's about 9 places on the front suspension that require lubricating.

You can go to this sitehttp://www.winnebagoind.com/products...tseer/overview and download a manual.

I'm sure you'll get more & better advice from other forum members..

Good luck & safe travels....

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

First thing I would suggest is you go the the Mother W website winnebagoind.com and register as a 'second' owner. You should be able to download all your manuals and then some from there. You might want to consider joining an owners group. Mine (San Juanderer's from Wa. state) is very active with outings every month. We have also caravanned to G.N.R. a couple of times. I am not a social person but there is not one problem or concern I have had with my coach that someone else in the group hasn't already experienced. Even down to exact same coach model.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:40 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Hi,

Congratulations on your new purchase a a fine product. I agree with the post about getting manuals from winnebago website.

What chassis do you have? Is it on a Ford F-53 or a Workhorse? As for oil changes along with oil filter and grease job I recommend every 4000 miles however Ford recommends every 7500. As for transmission, if it is an Alison (which is on the Workhorse chassis) there is a spin filter that I used to change every 5000 miles and the tranny doesn't need to be changes until 50K miles. I believe the Ford tranny has to be changed every 50K. Like a previous post being you just acquired the RV I would give it an oil change along with oil, air and gas filters plus a grease job. I would also check the front wheel bnearing oil through sight glass on hub.

If you have Winnebago problems besides their website they have a great technical service dept at 1-800-537-1885. I would also include in one of your trips a trip to Foest City, Iowa and take the tour and possibly have them help you with any problems. They also may be able to get you the complete manuals that go with your coach but they will ask for serial number of RV not the vin #.

Good luck and enjoy!

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I would add checking the roof to side sealant if it as been setting outside the seam could be in need of some maintenance.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

It never ceases to amaze me that folks acquire motor homes, even just a few years old, and, there's no manuals that come with the purchase. What are the previous owners doing with all the manuals, EATING THEM? I mean, our '04 Itasca Horizon was purchased by us, the fourth owners and, there is a whole satchel full of manuals, pamphlets, bulletins, diagrams, instruction manuals, installation manuals, troubleshooting manuals and a whole lot more. I'm very happy that the previous THREE owners kept them around.

They for the most part, never leave the coach. We have a spot for that satchel and, nothing else goes there. So, if and when it's time to sell it, it will be right where it's supposed to be. Too bad for the OP here. I didn't mean to go off topic here but, I've seen this so many times that it just still amazes me that so many are sold without manuals or, at least some sort of maintenance records.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

The detailers that some dealers use seem to toss the black bags even from new coaches.

For the house download the owners manual from Winnebagoind.com however get the chassis manual from the maker of the chassis (Ford, WorkHorse or Freight-liner).
Old 01-15-2015, 03:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hey Mike I see you are from NY I live in the Kingston area. If you are a close send me a message and I can help you out.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike In NY View Post
Picked up a 2010 Sightseer 37L this month. It only has 17,000 miles on it.
I have no idea of the maintenance history of this rig. And no maintenance / owners manuals. I'd like to start getting it ready for the Spring season. Don't know if or when oil's - filters or regular recommended Winnebago preventive maintenance items might have been done, if at all. We are new to RVing and Winnebago. What are the big things I should do now.
Thanks for any advice.
Getting the fluids tested is probably a good place to start. I happen to use Blackstone Labs: Blackstone Labs. Follow their directions for taking samples. This will help to establish a base line for your drive train condition.

Your filters should not be too hard to find.

Happy trails and many of them.

Rick Y

I happen to favor Royal Purple oil. Testing helps to get the maximum useful life out of the oil without risking the engine.

This site has some good information about filters.

Racor Filters - Parker

You may want to consider changing your air filter because of the age. They are mechanically good for about 5 or 6 years and then they COULD start to break apart from old age. (Sounds like me )