Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-06-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Any particular year,model,chassis,powertrain to bypass?
I see a lot of mid-90's with fairly low milage on a lot of different forums between $30K and $50K.
I even saw a 98 Vectra with 12,000 miles on a diesel for $47K last night.
I understand that Vectra is the Cadillac, followed by the Tour unit and then the Journey, Adventurer,Voyager and finally the Sightseer.
I am looking to do some "seeing the USA" and yet not full time. No pets and just the two of us. Don't need a 40 footer. I do like the diesels but gas is so much cheaper.
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
Chet
Old 01-06-2006, 03:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Any particular year,model,chassis,powertrain to bypass?
I see a lot of mid-90's with fairly low milage on a lot of different forums between $30K and $50K.
I even saw a 98 Vectra with 12,000 miles on a diesel for $47K last night.
I understand that Vectra is the Cadillac, followed by the Tour unit and then the Journey, Adventurer,Voyager and finally the Sightseer.
I am looking to do some "seeing the USA" and yet not full time. No pets and just the two of us. Don't need a 40 footer. I do like the diesels but gas is so much cheaper.
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
Chet
Old 01-06-2006, 04:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I am not 100 percent sure but in 1998 the line up was Vectra, Cheiftain, Adventurer, Brave and so on. They also had both the Journey & Journey DL and Ultimate Advantage in the diesel lines.
I am sure someone more knowlegible can give you the complete line up.
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I was in a similar situation 1 1/2 years ago...had a '97 Adventurer gasser after looking at many late '90's gas coaches and one diesel. My suggestions based on the one I owned and several that we considered:

1. avoid the Chevy P-30 chassis (narrow front end).
2. Winne has a roof edge seam that is problematic (leaks) if not carefully checked and maintained. Check for any evidence of leaks (side wall delamination, water stains along the upper outside edge of the basement storage compartments) Every mid to late 90's Winnebago gasser we checked had evidence of leaks and minimal-to-moderate side wall delamination.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:22 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

1998 Winnebago Industries Annual Report

Kind of a neat find,not only discusses and show pictures of what was becoming available in '99,but what was also available in '98.

(Did we really dress like that??)

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Yes, Gas is cheaper, but there is NO comparison to the diesels towing power. If you EVER plan on towing a toad, I suggest a diesel. Also, you're going to need slides for resale value. Coaches without slides are dropping in value like hot rocks. Dealers I've talked with are skeptical about even taking them in on a trade!!. At least 1 slide is advisable. I know it would be more money, but there are fantastic deals out there if you do your research and wait..

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I currently own a 1999 Adventurer 37G on a Ford chassis. The only problem I have with the Ford part is the AC compressor has to be replaced. The only Winnebago problem I have is the decals on the passenger side are fading. I used eternabond tape to end having to check the roof seam every 6 months. I have fixed some small problems, slow fueling, vacuum breakers, fuses etc. In other words I am extremely happy with my unit.
My suggestion is buy the floorplan you like and your pocketbook can afford.
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 10:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CyberVet65:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Chet - The Vectra/Horizon pre-2004 is completely different from 2004 and newer. 2004 and newer is a different chassis with Independant Front Suspension.

Of the Winnebago line the Vectra is the top of the food chain, at least 2004 and up - I know very little about pre-2004 models.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 11:13 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
Of the Winnebago line the Vectra is the top of the food chain, at least 2004 and up - I know very little about pre-2004 models. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yessir.....and around "my house" there's been a feeding frenzy...even at 36 degrees!!

Old 01-07-2006, 01:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks, for the input folks.
I am studying...getting knowledge. I expect to buy next year sometime. So I do keep an eye out for super deals.
Chet
Old 01-07-2006, 05:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

chet ...

In 1998 both the Adventurer and Chieftain came in both Gasoline and Diesel "flavors"
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 07:52 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

From all the posts on the forums concerning various MHs I would concentrate on Newmars or Tiffins. Lots less complaints. You won't get any service from majority of Winnebago dealers.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 03:22 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

We're all entitled to our opinions.....

It's funny when I "lurk" in the other manafacturer forums around the net, I see very much the same things going on....

Personally,the service department at my local dealer couldn't be nicer and easier to deal with.

Yes, I happen to live in the same town as the dealership, but that was a choice I made when I was brand searching.