Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2005, 06:31 PM   #1

With gas the way it is these days, I don't want my rig to become the local gas station. Is there a locking gas cap that fits the 01 Adventurer on a Ford chassis? If so where can I purchase it?
no18yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:31 PM   #2

With gas the way it is these days, I don't want my rig to become the local gas station. Is there a locking gas cap that fits the 01 Adventurer on a Ford chassis? If so where can I purchase it?
Old 09-05-2005, 03:24 AM   #3
Living The Dream

I don't have an answer to your question, but here's an idea . . . take your existing gas cap off your MH and go to an auto parts store with a good selection of locking caps. See if there is one that will work. I suspect one for a Ford, perhaps a van or Super Duty, might work.
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Take your present latch out, go to lowes they have a direct keyed replacement for it, same size hole. Very simple, quick fix. I have an 01 Itasca Suncruiser, first thing I did was change to a locking gas door. More important now than ever.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I picked up a Fram model RG-502 locking gas cap at the local auto supply. It cost about $25 for the cap but I think it is cheap insurance for the $375 worth of gas in the tank. I also picked up one for my 2003 F150. The caps are the same.

Cheers
Old 09-05-2005, 05:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I've thought about putting a locking cap on my RV while in storage but I am more concerned about a thief destroying the cap or gas cap while trying to steal the gas.
So, I will have the RV almost on empty every time i put into storage.
Bobg43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 06:35 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bobg43:
So, I will have the RV almost on empty every time i put into storage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not exactly a great idea if the occasion arises when you might need your RV as an emergency backup unit!

I always keep my tank full; and it's only been a couple years since we had an extension cord running from our rig to the fridge inside the house running for a couple of days during a power outage . . . not to mention the fact that we survived the outage in the air-conditioned comfort of our rig.

Has anyone actually been successful in siphoning fuel from their rig? Can you get a siphon hose past the floating-ball check-valve in the filler neck?
Stan Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:25 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Has anyone actually been successful in siphoning fuel from their rig? Can you get a siphon hose past the floating-ball check-valve in the filler neck? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stan, I take there is some sort of antisiphoning system built into the tank? If so the locking cap is a mute point. Is that what the floating ball is for? Is it fool proof? How does it work to prevent siphoning? Lots of questions, but I don't want to pay for something I don't need.
Thanks for your info
Old 09-06-2005, 01:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

On my RV I raised the door where the sewer and water connections are and drilled a small hole on a slant into the gas compartment door and installed a nail. Just remember to keep the water compartment door locked.

Winnebago Adverturer 2004 35U Cypress Green Metallic
Dick N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 02:36 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Dick Nesbitt Retired
Winnebago Adverturer 2004 35U Cypress Green Metallic
2005 Malibu Maxx
Blue Ox Base Plate
Blue Ox Aventa II Tow Bar
BrakeBuddy
Great idea Dick, I'll have to give it a try, thanks!
I'll try an alumminum gutter nail that I have laying around, this way here it won't rust either.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:10 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by no18yes:
Is that what the floating ball is for? Is it fool proof? How does it work to prevent siphoning? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think the intent of the floating ball in the filler neck, is to prevent filling the tank beyond an appropiate level. I presume that it might be difficult to get a siphon hose past that point.
Stan Birch is offline   Reply With Quote