Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2018, 05:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question Locked out TWICE now

On way home from private rv purchase in AZ, stopped for the night and when we returned to coach after dinner, we could not unlock the entry door. Remote key fob nor key would unlock it. We called a locksmith and he spent about 90 minutes trying to get in. NO luck, so got a motel for the night. NExt morning, my husband and another rv'r hacksawed the dead bolt and we were in. Had lock replaced when we got home to the tune of almost $500. This past Nov. as we were ready to pull out for AZ, the coach locked all on its own!!!! Unfortunately since we were leaving, both sets of keys were inside (along with our two little dogs barking their heads off). All compartments were locked so no tools. Hubs left to buy a hacksaw! No one seems to be able to explain WHY either of these lockouts happened. We are making appt for replacement BUT will be a manual lock not electronic....not takng another chance! Any ideas?
JanineG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:44 PM   #2
aa1ssradio

There is usually a solenoid and rod in the door that controls the electronic locking of the lock. I would just disconnect the rod and it and it will be a manual lock
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
and when you get that done get a small key safe, mount it in an extrerior compartment that cannot be locked like the propane bay. put extra door and ignition keys in it. always have a plan b.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

How annoying! We have only locked ourselves out once, but it was with the engine running and our little dog inside. There's excitement around every bend for RVers!!
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:08 AM   #5
aa1ssradio

I purchased one of those real estate locks at Lowes and have spare keys locked in it in the propane bay.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Key Fob? Hmmm! Do you have a door key other than the key fob? I also have used the "realtor" lock in the propane bay. My now RV came with two fobs and 3 keys. One key for me, one for DW and the other in the TOAD or in my pocket.(TOAD has keypad entry and fob)

I'm very surprised the locksmith could not get in. Did he say why? Very unusual.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

We have 2 key fobs and 2 sets of keys. The locksmith did not say why he couldn't get us in. He was a fella sent to us thru Good Sam. The 2nd lockout might have been remedied with a hide a key but the 1st lockout wouldn't have been. We plan to replace the lock with a manual lock and sell the coach.....health issues.
JanineG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hidden keys

Definitely keep a spare set of keys in a magnetized case inside your propane bay. Good to always have available keys!
bunny2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:23 PM   #9
Retired Sailor and Wench

What is this "key fob"? To me, a key fob is the thing you use to unlock the doors of your car using "keyless entry". I don't have any electric locks on my Class A Adventurer.
Tailhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Where did you put the key safe in your propane area? I went out and looked and I couldn'tsee where a good place would be to do this. Thanks
MaryandPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:50 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailhooker View Post
What is this "key fob"? To me, a key fob is the thing you use to unlock the doors of your car using "keyless entry". I don't have any electric locks on my Class A Adventurer.
To my knowledge we do not have the elect. fob either.
But somehow managed to get locked out with the dead bolt.
All keys inside.

This was in the driveway so no problem there.
Got hold of a locksmith to come out, and he told me it was like a Harley Key.

After that, I had several sets made.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:32 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailhooker View Post
Some Winnebago MH's have electric door lock +electric locking bay doors is an added option. The old TRIMARK system is obsolete but Winnebago has a replacement unit. Wayne is right about the solenoid inside the door operating the regular door lock,which is NOT connected to the manual deadbolt. Most of the time the culprit is the brass "buttons" on the door jamb and matching buttons on the door become corroded and fail to conduct 12V. Some have had the wires to the door jamb buttons corrode and lose contact. Regular use of the coach tends to alleviate these problems, but it's a good idea to buff the buttons with a Scotch scrubbing pad now and then.

The standard work-around is to leave a window unlocked-you choose which one you can climb into and manually unlock the door.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:10 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We have the trimark system. It had to be replaced because parts of it stopped working. We took the coach in to have the slide fixed and when we got it back the baggage doors on the passenger side do not work properly. We will have our local rv repair place look at it in Nov when we have our regular service done. Hubby tried tracing the wires but found nothing wrong. Trimark says its probably a relay that is bad because the driver side baggage doors work perfectly.
MaryandPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:02 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryandPJ View Post
Where did you put the key safe in your propane area? I went out and looked and I couldn'tsee where a good place would be to do this. Thanks
There should be some metal walls in your propane bay. A magnetic case containing your extra keys can stay attached to the metal.
bunny2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:07 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanineG View Post
On way home from private rv purchase in AZ, stopped for the night and when we returned to coach after dinner, we could not unlock the entry door.
I'm wondering what brand of door locks you have on your motorhome. Mine has Tri-mark and what happened to you is a common problem, even with the manual-style door locks. I've had to replace mine because they get out of adjustment or get worn, and then I can't unlock the door with a key or even from inside. Both the door lock and dead bolt are susceptible to this, at least on my vintage of motorhome. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote