Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2021, 11:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Loaded weight of a Minnie Winnie 24V

We just purchased a 2004 Minnie 24v, and I'm trying to determine how much weight we can load. The sticker on the driver's door only has one set of weights (front and rear), not a "dry" weight and loaded weight for comparison.

Any suggestions as to the loaded weight we should try to stay under?

Thanks!
Mikeanddonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 02:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would use this: https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/04Minniebro.pdf and make a trip to the Cat scales. Your GVWR is on page 6 and is anywhere from 11,500 to 14,050 depending on which engine you have.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

The specs on page 6 show weights with a diesel engine (I believe), but this 24v has a Ford e-350 engine.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeanddonna View Post
The specs on page 6 show weights with a diesel engine (I believe), but this 24v has a Ford e-350 engine.
It shows all 3, the Ford E-350 (6.8l) gas engine chassis is the first number, 11,500 lbs fully loaded is your max.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks. I'll soon be on the way to the scales.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Pack lightly! It is very easy to overload a motorhome on a 1 ton chassis!
Old 08-29-2021, 04:22 PM   #7

In the Netherlands, where I live, we pay taxes by the empty weigt of vehicle. So empty weight is known. Also GVWR is known, so payload is GVWR minus empty weight. Mayby your empty weight is also given and your GVWR always on a plate somewhere, with yelow in it.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:11 PM   #8
2004 Minnie 29B

Check inside of closets walls, Winnebago put a 1 page label inside of the coach that had all the weights, carrying capacities etc. Usually just inside the closet door. Same label was also in the paperwork that came with the coach. I have seen this label on my all of my friends coaches from Winnebago that were made around 2003 to 2005.
RV Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Tinker, that label was on my 1994 Winnebago too!
Old 08-29-2021, 09:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Very simple. Go to a scale and have the rig weighed. Also each axle. Go from there. One of life’s simple problems that causes some lots of stress.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:26 AM   #11

Mayby the manufacturer made it deliberetly a bit difficult to find, because the smaller motorhomes often have to small payload.
Also GAWR rear is soon overloaded for the smaller motorhome. Even if GVWR is not overloaded.
I dont know your specifications , but in the Netherlands many motorhomes with 3500kg/7700lbs MTM ( GAWR) ,because driverslicence most only have is for 3500kg and 8 passengers.
Then the larger with more then 7meter/ 21 foot, weigh empty 3000kg/6600lbs , on paper, in real mayby more, wich gives to small payload , and MTA ( GAWR) rear overloaded , front OK.

Edit: reading back I see 11000/14050lbs, so our small motorhomes are dinky toys in compare to your Minnie, wich I explained as mini, so small, set me on the wrong foot.
Old 08-30-2021, 07:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeanddonna View Post
Thanks. I'll soon be on the way to the scales.
Just be mindful that you need to observe all 3 weights.

If your on the Ford Chassis with the V10 that means 11,500 lbs overall total weight with no more than 4,600 lbs on the front axle and 7,800 lbs on the rear while staying under the 11,500 lb total. Be mindful that MAX weight includes fuel, food, water, driver, passengers and pets.

If you load the back heavy and the front too light you may have problems driving straight on the highway even if you technically are staying under the MAX allowed weights since you can end up with insufficient weight on the front wheels to maintain good contact with the road.

Once its loaded for the way you will travel with it then its time to inflate the less than 6 year old tires per the tire manufacturers load chart and have the coach aligned.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:25 AM   #13

Reaction to post #12 above.

Better is to let me calculate the needed pressure for you. American pressure/loadcapacity lists lead to to low pressure, I use an even safer formula then the official european, i once got hold of, and went running with.
Whatever you do, first add 10% to the weighed load for reserve. Together with that lists are made for 99mph. It will then give highest pressure, with max reserve. with still acceptable comfort and grip. In my made spreadsheets that 10% adding is done automatically, so if you use that, dont add then 10% yourselves. So I dont give minimum for savety, but maximum for comfort.

Then the 6 years , in Europe 10 years preventive change is usual, and even after first use, and 2 years profesional storing can be sold as new, so sometimes 12 years after DOT date . Even tire-makers write it like Michelin.
And with some care that is possible. And that care is using high enaugh pressure to laws of nature, and cover ( when standing stil) for UV light ( wheelcovers, preferably not black on the outside) and peroxides like ozon.

Some electrical instruments produce ozon, so storing in a space with such an instrument working, can then age the tires sooner.

I once read the advice to keep more then 30% of total weight on front axle for riding quality.
I figured out by several weighing slips on dutch forum , that total gravitypoint of the smaller motorhomes is between 42 and 45% of total length behind front, campervans( with iron body and no alloy) 45 to 50%.
Then its yust where you place the axles under the box, how the weight is devided over the axles.
Made spreadsheet for that too. Is only for 2 axles, tandem axles or tag axle motorhomes is much more complicated.

But European situation is different then in America. Here heavy things are build in as much possible to the front, for instance watertanks and battery's . On the orher hand we almost all have a filled bycicle rack behind , with nowadays electrical ( more heavy) bikes, wich shift the gravitypoint 1 or 2% backward.
That GAWR's together are mosly more then GVWR is for reason, that you can shift the load a little without going over GVWR and GAWR's , wich is not allowed ( but still happens sometimes, in Europe regularly).

So to come back on the original question, not only payload is important, but also the places you store that payload.

Tags
weight