Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Little things that bother me...

These questions are answered differently by all coach owners. There doesn't seem to be one specific explanation.

Why is the exhaust pipe tip on my Itasca squished and different than other brands of motorhomes?

Why does the refrigerator condensation tube have a plug in the end with a small hole instead of leaving the tube wide open?

Why does the Engine Exhaust Brake have an on/off switch when many coach owners post that it should be left on all the time?

Joe
Old 01-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Cruise ON, Exhaust brake ON, Gently rolling hills, Down grade side, Exhaust brake kicks ON when excelator hits idle? I don't think so, switch off in this case. IMHO.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

1. I think it's just a style thing, like chrome tips on cars

2. Probably to use the hose as collection with a small opening to let the water out without letting bugs in

3. There are times when you might want it off, though I generally keep mine on
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #4

Most manufacturers warn against using the exhaust brake on slick pavement (e.g., ice, snow or even rain if the pavement is oily); thus, the switch to disable it.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

#2 I removed the plug so that whatever comes outof that little hose goes into that little tray
#3 Winnie or Cat says start the engine with the exhaust brake switch in off. That makes no sense to me but sometimes I do it.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Joe,
Good questions. I was told the exhaust was to direct the hotter exhaust to the ground. They didn't have "room" on the side exhaust install a typical elbow.
The plug has little holes to keep the bugs from crawling up into the refrig. The little holes need to be cleaned out.
Never leave your exhaust brake on in bad weather.
>>
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I sometimes see signs in towns stating no exhaust brakes.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

When we got our signature rig, the exhaust pipe was a nice circular shape. After trying to pull into a gas station in Lincoln City, Oregon, it is now a nice "D" shape. The gas station was busy and I tried to get into the lane farthest from the street and misjudged the corner-cutting effect of the tail swing! The exhaust clipped one of their big steel bollards in the concrete of the pump island. I'm glad it wasn't the aft bodywork!

I know better now.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I've never seen that, I only ever see "NO ENGINE BRAKES".
Old 01-26-2011, 09:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
I've never seen that, I only ever see "NO ENGINE BRAKES".
OK, now your just stirring the pot!!
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:51 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

In slow traffic I turn the exhaust brake off as the Freightliner manual suggests. Sometimes, depending on the city speed limit, I just leave it on. Turning it off gives the brake shoes the ability to work and take some of the "shellac" off. All other times I leave it on. When on cruise control and descending long grades, there is a point after cruise control set that the exhaust brake will automatically come on. In my situation once that happens my coach will maintain that over cruise speed unless I hit the brakes to slow it down more. Oh! I do turn it off on very wet roads etc.

As for those city signs that say "no engine brakes," well, I hate to admit it, but i'm on the side of safety and not noise ordinance so I just leave mine on unless the speed limit through town/city is 30mph or less. I just figure I need all the stopping power that I can get if a child or someone darts out in front of me. I just rather err on the side of safety.

My exhaust tip is also squashed down. It was that fake chrome that started to pit. I took some 0000 steel wool and polished it, then I sprayed it with high heat resistance flat black. I has lasted over a year like that and no pitting.

I agree with the plug with the tiny hole to keep bugs out and let water drip, but as stated, keep it cleared with a pin or toothpick.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
They're referring to noisy Jake brakes, no to our typical exhaust brakes. The typical exhaust braking on a motorhome doesn't add any noise.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I turned my exhaust tip out a bit to keep it from blowing black soot on my towd.
Never noticed the Fridge tube.
And I only use the exhaust brake when going down hill or needing to slow. I don't leave it on because I don't like it slowing me way down any time I get off the accelerator or when I tap the brake to take off the cruise control.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogie View Post
And I only use the exhaust brake when going down hill or needing to slow. I don't leave it on because I don't like it slowing me way down any time I get off the accelerator or when I tap the brake to take off the cruise control.
Ditto on the use of the engine brake. I prefer the feel of managing the weight of the coach and how it's moving rather than an all on or all off feel. I like to be able to coast. I'd love to make the argument that this gives me better mileage but my results sure don't support that.

I took the "plug" out of my fridge tube because it was clogged. Then I read here on the forum that it was designed to keep critters out so I cleaned it and put it back in but check it frequently.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I took the "plug" out of my fridge tube because it was clogged. Then I read here on the forum that it was designed to keep critters out so I cleaned it and put it back in but check it frequently.

Rick, I'm pretty sure the plug also limits the amount of warm air that can travel back up the drain tube into the fridge.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:14 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

All good answers. Thanks, Joe