Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Lichtsinn RV

I have made an appointment at Lichtsinn RV in Forest City for our 2011 Tour AD for a few nagging things I can't seem to fix myself, main slide not working, awnings not working, jacks sticking, you know the nice expensive stuff to fix, lol. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this dealership, good or bad. I have read several reviews and they of course are up and down. Talking with them on the phone and ordering parts from them was a very good experience. We purchased our coach from Lazydays in Tampa and the reviews for them could range for ok to horrible. Our experience with them was fantastic, and if not for being so far out of the way at this time I would probably go back down to Tampa. I would really like to have a dealership up north and one down south that I trust so we are trying out Lichtsinn. Any thoughts?
Bago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:25 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I purchased from them and have most of my service done there. I usually get there one or two times a year since it is only a few hundred miles away from my family so it's a stop-over.

They are very friendly and quite knowledgeable on the Winnebago products. They have at times gone above and beyond fixing 2016 View. You pull up to the doors at 7:00am and they have your rig back to you in late afternoon, Electric is provided if you need to overnight. They don't take your rig and let it sit in a back lot (as other dealers are known to do)... they work on it.

One thing I didn't like is the 4 hours they charged me to change the cover on my driver seat. At the factory tour you can see them cover the seats in about 15 min. So best to get a good estimate of cost on what you are getting done.

I'll be going back next year, always seems something comes up that needs work.

Not always perfect
Old 06-01-2019, 05:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If you are a WIT club member there may be 10% discount on Winnebago parts you can take advantage of. I know they offer that discount if you buy Winnebago parts thru them from their parts counter. Not sure it covers parts they obtain from Winnebago for service work, tho.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:45 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We purchased our coach through them and have had multiple services / repairs completed in the 5 years since. No dealership / repair shop is perfect but I trust these folks to do it right - and if needed, make it right. Get to know Bryan, the Service Manager. He's a Master RV tech, knows his business, and has always dealt fairly with us.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:00 AM   #5
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Just got our new coach from them. Several thinks needed fixing.
Pleased with them. Seemed very knowledgeable. I received several emails from them asking how I like my coach and is everything doing well. Very pleasant experience.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:27 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Have always wondered about their MSRP, Cash/Trade/Loan Value pricing shown on line.
Is the "loan value" the actual purchase price?
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:11 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Hard to tell. I found it impossible to get a quote from them when we were buying our Navion. Talked about a trade, no trade, cash purchase, etc. and I never could get any meaningful numbers from them.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:19 AM   #8
Site Team

I've heard only good things about them - however since they are only 3 miles from the Winnebago factory if I had a slide problem I'd be driving down the road to the factory not letting any dealership, no matter how good they are, work on that issue.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:29 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
Have always wondered about their MSRP, Cash/Trade/Loan Value pricing shown on line.
Is the "loan value" the actual purchase price?

ratio between the value of your loan and the RV's value, and represent the first mortgage line as a percentage of the total appraised value of your RV

lending institutions like to have the lender put up enough money to cover the depreciation so if you default they can dump the RV without taking a loss..... same with a house or a car.

I believe that the credit score history also comes into effect - lower the score the higher they either charge in rates and/or the "down payment" required, and perhaps loan insurance
Old 06-02-2019, 03:01 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBobbo View Post
ratio between the value of your loan and the RV's value, and represent the first mortgage line as a percentage of the total appraised value of your RV

lending institutions like to have the lender put up enough money to cover the depreciation so if you default they can dump the RV without taking a loss..... same with a house or a car.

I believe that the credit score history also comes into effect - lower the score the higher they either charge in rates and/or the "down payment" required, and perhaps loan insurance
I realize all that.
The question is what is their selling price? Their asking price is as about clear as mud. They should be quite a bit cheaper on their RV's as there shouldn't be any transportation charge.
They do seem to be a VERY progressive dealership. Their instructional and walk through video's are the best I've seen. I would seriously consider them if I could get a reasonable quote before taking the drive. I figure 33-35% off list is competitive is what their "loan value" generally comes to.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:25 AM   #11
JBP
Winnie-Wise

I have watched their walk-throughs online for years and enjoyed them immensely. We were thinking about going back to a Class A. We downsize to a class C and missed the size and space. I did some research and found out what my coach was worth and looking online I saw what they had available.
I emailed them and within 4 hours I had a quote for the new coach and a trade-in for mine. I live in southern Texas. That's a long haul to Forest City. But the quote was so good I could not afford not to. So we decided to see the kids in Kansas City. And by a new coach.
My experience with sales was excellent. I got up there on a Sunday. Spent the night hooked up.
Monday morning we met and sign papers they suggested I spend the night with the new coach. Make sure everything work the way I wanted it to. And leave the following day. I did there are few minor items that need to be fixed or adjusted. Service was excellent.
Took the time to visit Winnebago and Winne. Enjoyed the factory walk-through.
And return to Texas.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:22 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I realize all that.
The question is what is their selling price? ................... I figure 33-35% off list is competitive is what their "loan value" generally comes to.

like any transaction, the true value is what someone is willing to pay

You can't expect to get the best price over the phone in two minutes. They know you will take that number and shop around.

The salespeople have nothing but a short phone conversation invested in you... what are they loosing by not giving you a rock bottom number at first. Zero, zip, nothing. This is not just Lichtsinn, it's every good salesperson's way of dealing with phone shoppers.

The actual % off of list depends upon lots of things.... is the unit in stock, are they hard to come by, is it near the end of the month or quarter and sales numbers are counted for commission, can they also get financing, etc.

I believe that I did get a good price from them in the end, in fact I had one quote for $150 less - not that $150 means anything on such a large purchase and still went with Lichtsinn. I was picked up at the Minneapolis airport by one of their drivers and proceeded to inspect the unit, finish up with the paperwork (only needed to sign some papers - it was all there ready to go) and proceeded to get a several hour walkthrough.

The owner (Ron) is always around and is approachable to talk to - actually every time I'm there he comes around and checks in with me. The service writers and manager are very knowledgeable as I said in an earlier post. The same can be said about the parts manager. These people don't hide in an office - they work behind a long counter, the same people have been working there (and a few more added) since I've purchased. They take my calls every time I call with a question (or call me back shortly if busy).

As previously stated they (in my opinion) overcharged me once by using actual time spend by a technician as opposed to what I believe book value should have been !/4-1/2 less (I think they put the wrong tech on this particular issue). My fault for not getting a firm price/estimate for the job up front.

They have in the past gone out of their way to get parts much faster than any other dealer. I've witnessed where they have been an advocate for me to secure a new fridge for me, It took several calls and was successful.

I would not hesitate to purchase from them again, and again I will use them for service in the future without hesitation. Sometimes it pays to spend another $150 to get what they offer.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:25 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Their asking price is as about clear as mud. They should be quite a bit cheaper on their RV's as there shouldn't be any transportation charge.

Every dealer pays the same transportation charge throughout the country. Winnebago averages the total cost of shipping to every dealer to keep the "playing field" even.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:42 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBobbo View Post
Every dealer pays the same transportation charge throughout the country. Winnebago averages the total cost of shipping to every dealer to keep the "playing field" even.
Seems unfair to Lictsinn and in turn for their customers only being 3 miles away from the Win. Plant. That's probably $475.00 a mile for delivery three miles away?

I wish they would also carry a limited number of high end Win TT's like the Minnie Plus. They would be a great seller for them. Seeing how they would be the same delivery charge from Indiana as a plant only three miles away.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:02 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We traveled from Colorado to Iowa to buy our first ever RV from Lichtsinn in April of 2018. The sales experience was fantastic and the support since then has also been fantastic. We are planning a trip to Forest City this summer specifically to have service done there. We have been very impressed with every aspect of how they run their business.
ejpcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:46 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

We bought from them in 2017 and have been in for service twice .... once warranty work and once for some elective work. We were very happy with everything!
aspengirl is offline   Reply With Quote