Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2017, 05:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Lichtsinn RV

I'm looking at Winnebago's at Lichtsin RV.

I know nothing about this dealership. Has anyone here dealt with them?
Do they talk to you after the sale?

Thanks
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

They are arguably the best dealership to buy a Winnie from. They are higher in price than the others, but their service and parts dept are known among the Winnie owners circles as top notch.
MountainMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMH View Post
They are arguably the best dealership to buy a Winnie from. They are higher in price than the others, but their service and parts dept are known among the Winnie owners circles as top notch.
Thank you for the reply !!!
Old 04-10-2017, 08:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

My opinion differs slightly. My purchase was a used MH.

Their sales contract protects the dealer not you, just like any other dealer. If it isn’t written down, it will not happen. Even if it is something so basic as to check the operation of the rear tail lights before delivery. I fixed mine in the parking lot as the sun was setting.

At the time of delivery expect to hear a pitch for every extended warranty/protection plan known to man. For example, I had young Hannah explain to me what a road gator was and how dangerous these were if I hit one. I explained to her that my vehicle insurance company already covers me for road hazards.

After purchase expect to hear: We are really busy but we will try to work you in. <<< This is code for: Your MH will sit on the lot for a while. We will not do everything that you asked. The parts we need are out of stock at the factory which by the way is located one mile down the road.

I spent a day in the show room observing their operation. The parts people and service manager must be trained to listen politely to every old man ramble on ad nauseam. This may make some feel good, but it irritates me to be treated or see someone treated like a doddering old man.

The work bays looked great, but it was obvious that the dealership was very short of technicians. I think that I saw only two during the time that I spent there.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
I'm looking at Winnebago's at Lichtsin RV.

I know nothing about this dealership. Has anyone here dealt with them?
Do they talk to you after the sale?

Thanks
They have helped me many times. If I have a question that I can't find the answer to I just give my service rep a call. If not available they always return your call within a day.

When you make an appointment for service they take you in and work on your unit - not leaving it in the back lot for days like other dealers.

Electric hookups are provided for scheduled visits, they will fill up your water if needed. I've used the local public dump station in town (1/2 mile away)

They stand behind their work and go above the norm to be helpful.

I go to them for service since it's only a day out of my way on my frequent trips to see the grandkids.

The only negative is that in the middle of winter it's cold in Forest City

I'd buy from them again without any reservations.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Bev and I purchased our used Horizon from them in 2011. There were some issues at first but Ron and I were able to work through them to the satisfaction of both of us.

As others have said their parts dept. is excellent and I always use them. If or when I want a newer RV I certainly will consider Lichtsinn RV.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

IMHO! Service after the sale "SUXS"! Have heard they are no different than any other RV dealer. Having dealt with three different dealers on three different brands, they are all about the sale not the service!!!
Old 04-10-2017, 10:29 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I was ready to buy from them to get a new Winnebago with at most a few dozen miles on the ODO and do the break-in driving myself. Had visited their facility in Forest City and it was nice and had good parts and service people. Buying from them did not work out.

I negotiated with one of their salespersons to buy a new Winnebago and was not able to get them to give a competitive discount. They also were not competitive on what they offered me on my Itasca Cambria that I was trading in. Told them what I could save buying elsewere and they stuck to their price, said take it or leave it. I left it.

Saved $ 10,000 elsewhere.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I can highly recommend Winnebago Motor Home and Trailer Sales in Rockford, Ill. We were treated very well by them when we bought a used Winnebago DP a few years back. While there, we spoke to several repeat customers who had only good things to say about the family who own and run the business.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:10 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I bought new at Lichtsinn and have returned for service, had them ship me parts, and used their phone advice for simple fixes. They have represented my interests to parts manufacturers even when out of warranty with good effect. I recommend them without reservation - and have done so many times. Every referred person has shared with me that they also were pleased with the deal and the service.

Like anywhere - if something isn't right, say something to the right person with a measure of courtesy and diplomacy.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
I was ready to buy from them to get a new Winnebago with at most a few dozen miles on the ODO and do the break-in driving myself. Had visited their facility in Forest City and it was nice and had good parts and service people. Buying from them did not work out.

I negotiated with one of their salespersons to buy a new Winnebago and was not able to get them to give a competitive discount. They also were not competitive on what they offered me on my Itasca Cambria that I was trading in. Told them what I could save buying elsewere and they stuck to their price, said take it or leave it. I left it.

Saved $ 10,000 elsewhere.

Same thing happened with us. We tried 2 times to buy there but they weren't competitive in their pricing. We were looking for either a Suncruiser or an Adventurer. We got a price on the Suncruiser and asked what the differences were between it and an Adventurer. We couldn't get a good answer from our salesman so we called Winnebago. As it turned out there were 15 differences which amounted to badging only.

Since we already had an Adventurer and there were essentially no differences we asked for a price on the same model with the Adventurer badging. Our salesman came back with the exact same price even though the Suncruiser listed for $3,000.00 more than the identical Adventurer.

We ended up buying an Adventurer from another dealer about the same distance from our home. We paid $14,000.00 less at the other dealer for the exact same motorhome.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:43 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I can highly recommend Winnebago Motor Home and Trailer Sales in Rockford, Ill. We were treated very well by them when we bought a used Winnebago DP a few years back. While there, we spoke to several repeat customers who had only good things to say about the family who own and run the business.
We also tried buying our first motorhome from them. We visited them on a Saturday were given a price we both agreed on. We wanted to be sure we were making the right decision so we told the sales person we'd talk it over and send him a check for the deposit on Monday.

Before we got the check in the mail he called back saying he couldn't sell the motorhome for the agreed upon price. He needed $300.00 more to close the deal. Needless to say I wasn't impressed. I called another dealer in the area and offered $500.00 less than the price we agreed on in Rockford. There wasn't even much of a conversation. He agreed and the deal was completed.

It was a bit amusing in that the Rockford dealer called back at least half a dozen times trying to get an additional $300.00. Finally I told him thanks, but no thanks we'd already made a purchase from another dealer at a lower price.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Inflexible

To those who commented that they did not get good vibes from them, we fully agree. We found them to be inflexible in their pricing, arrogant in their attitude and overall, only interested in their bottom line, NOT ultimate customer satisfaction.

I understand that they are in business to make money, but we had much better experiences with other dealers. We rewarded the ones with our business who were genuinely interested in helping us, negotiated fairly and had no hidden agenda.

We will continue to avoid dealers like Lichtsinn.
Lindan n Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:26 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We bought there and the sale was good. They are 770 miles one way from our home. Went back for warranty work and I thought I was at camping world.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593 & WIT 170814
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:05 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopc View Post
IMHO! Service after the sale "SUXS"! Have heard they are no different than any other RV dealer. Having dealt with three different dealers on three different brands, they are all about the sale not the service!!!
I would be interested to know how you come by your opinion. Have you dealt with them personally?
klebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:46 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I tried to get them to give me a quote on a 2017 Navion and they were quite evasive. I had quotes from other dealers but they couldn't send me a number. I really confused the issue when I told them I wanted to trade in a coach that was was worth much more than the coach I wanted - and no financing was involved and they would owe me money after the deal was complete. This really confused them.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:06 AM   #17
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
We bought there and the sale was good. They are 770 miles one way from our home. Went back for warranty work and I thought I was at camping world.
That bad huh!
Old 04-11-2017, 08:31 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
Ouch !! That IS bad.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:45 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

I see there is a wide range of opinions out there for Lichtsinn. Perhaps part of it may be what year and season you deal with them. I purchased mine in December and took delivery in Feb. 2016 It all went smooth, yes they were $300 more than a dealer in Fla. but I know I've had great service.

I have found also that if you treat people well they return the favor. The people at Lichtsinn have treated me very well.

As stated before, I'd buy and service with them again. I'm actually headed there next week for service.

Good luck wherever you purchase your unit.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:40 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Well, I'm learning about Litchsinn from experience now.
Takes the sales person days, not hours, to respond (and this is BEFORE the sale).
They will not let go of the MSRP price. It appears they don't want to budge on it at all.

Oh well. Thought it would have been nice to get the Winnie close to it's birth place, but it doesn't appear that's going to happen.

Thank you for all the replies !!