Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-11-2018, 04:04 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

I guess we're a little off track from the original question but I think, if a friend asked me about buying an RV, one of my first questions would be to ask if they were a DIYer or was interested in becoming one. If the answer was "no", I'd tell them that maybe an RV wasn't for them unless they were willing to spend a lot of money.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:41 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

We have only ever purchased one RV and it is our present rig. I wanted to pay cash for the rig so we bought used. Planned to retire within 3 years of purchasing so wanted everything paid off prior to that.

I did a lot of research and kept going back to the Winnebago product. Wanted a Class A and gas. Had a floorplan that I wanted and found that. Knew when we bought it that there were a few things we wanted to change out or upgrade. We have done that.

You can change out the mattress, change out the toilet, whatever makes you comfortable. Different things work for different people. This rig works for us.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:51 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

In follow up to beamisl's comment about finding a floor plan they wanted, floor plans come and go. This means the best floor plan for you may not be available in a new motorhome. Small differences in a floor plan can make a big difference in livability, especially if you have special needs. For example, the orientation of the bed, whether it's oriented cross-wise or fore-and-aft can be critical for someone with limited mobility. Likewise with bathroom location, there's no way a bathroom in the back of the coach would work for us. Shower configuration is another factor. They all kind of look the same until you've seen a bunch and simulated living in them.

Personally, I wouldn't consider compromising on a floor plan in order to buy new.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

All a matter of opinion. We used to buy new but due to the poor quality of the manufacturing over the past few years I doubt that we will again. The last one was used and have had no problems after a lot of use. Not sure that can be said by many that received new units with defects that should have been caught at the factory, then the dealer and now are the problem of the new frustrated owner. To many examples of poor support and spending many dollars on a unit that spends more time in for repairs than on the road. Give me used and let me travel.
michealwhela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:52 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Our last two motorhomes were purchased new at about 35% below MSRP. I'm not sure I would buy new again. When you look at some of the high end diesel pushers that sold new in the 300k to 400k price range and are now selling only a few years later with 50 to 60k on the odometer for $140 to 180k or less. That is one heck of a financial hit to take on a coach that will go 300,000 miles easily and still looks like new.
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:03 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

We bought ours new- although that was in 2008. I don't think they've been getting any better. If we were to do it again I'd seriously be looking for something used between 2007 and 2009. I really like the stor-mor system on our Sightseer but for whatever reason they decided to discontinue that feature on later models. I think that our '08 is also more sound mechanically and generally better built. Today's features like tablet controlled operator functions seem more of a liability than an asset. Colors and interior appointments have changed too- not for the better in my opinion.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:06 PM   #27
Winnie-Wise

As with any purchase, you need to be aware of what you are getting. Our first Class A was used, two owners, 4 years old, not really cared for, up to the level I would do. But the price and overall package was worth the midnight flight across the country, following inspection, test drive, resulting 8 day trip driving it back home. And yes, I had to do several minor repairs on the way. But it was what we wanted at a price we could afford. And I did fix all the shortcomings over the next four years we owned it.

Traded it in on a larger, brand new, Class A that we needed for full timing. I knew the first year would have several little things needing fixing under warranty. It did, and after that, I handled most other issues. Still very glad we got a new rig, as we know exactly what it has had for service, and where it has been. We love the floor plan, and expect to keep driving it, until we physically can't. Some day, we will know where we want to stay, but for now, we keep driving.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:12 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Colors and interior appointments have changed too- not for the better in my opinion.
We've updated our 2002 Suncruiser, my wife re-covered the dinette cushions and the valances and we replaced the worn sofa with two new, electric, leather recliners. Had we wanted to do so, we could have replaced the old sofa with a new, and more functional, sleeper. We also replaced the vinyl with luxury vinyl planks and the carpet with commercial quality carpet tiles, all in an updated color scheme that's much more restful and, IMHO more tasteful, than the glossy, hotel-like schemes of a lot of the new rigs.

Fortunately we had the ability to do this all ourselves but none of this required a high level of DIY skill.

Since buying our motorhome, we've had some other "life" things come up that are impacting our finances so I'm very thankful we don't have $150k+ tied up in a new motorhome. That's something else to consider in making your decision.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:45 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

New or used? It depends

As the various replies in this thread indicate, there is no on-size-fits-all answer. If you're very particular about what you want or are squeamish about potential problems or "contamination" of a used unit, then obviously a new one would probably be best for you. But if you're a pretty good shade tree mechanic and an avid DIYer, then a reasonably well-maintained used unit should be more than acceptable. I'm in the latter category myself and although last fall we weren't really in the market to buy an RV, we fell into a deal with a local RV rental company that sells their RVs after they've been in the rental fleet for three seasons. They aren't in perfect condition but they were very well maintained and went through inspection and refurbishment prior to sale. We chose a 2016 27Q Minnie Winnie with 38,000 on the odometer. As noted above, it wasn't perfect, but it was very well maintained. The fixes were easy which allowed us to make lots of improvements that added many comforts and conveniences. We're now ready to make a cross-country trip from Alaska to Indiana and back at the end of the month. We're so looking forward to the trip!!!
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:45 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Bought used. Thought everything taken care of ( on consignment). Not but handy and took care of almost everything myself. Moved up new 2014 Thor ACE. Long list of problems some never taken care of. The used 2 months Winnebago 34t 2017. Few issues. Taken care of to my satisfaction. Maybe helped that owner of dealership took family on trip in before selling. Still have warranty. I'm happy. Got more rig Than I could have new. So moral of the story. Be handy if you can. If not have a good dealership that will take care of you and get what works for you and enjoy!
sciguy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:33 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciguy6 View Post
So moral of the story. Be handy if you can. If not have a good dealership that will take care of you and get what works for you and enjoy!
Ah, the unicorn!!
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:43 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

As Sarah and others have mentioned, there is no right or wrong answer to the question of whether to buy new or used.

There are also a lot of variables. As was mentioned in a previous post, there are features that can only be found in new or used rigs. If those features can be added at a reasonable cost then it may not be an issue, but if it is something that is all but etched in stone, like the floorplan, that might answer the question of new v used.

Another variable is the prospective owner's access to a dealer that will take care of any problems they have with their rig in a timely, polite, professional manner -- whether it is a recall; warranty work; or owner paid. This is a huge problem for many people -- getting work done correctly, in a reasonable amount of time.

Unless the potential buyer knows for a fact that they will be treated properly by their local dealer, I see no reason to buy new. Without a good dealer any warranty will be essentially worthless. If the dealer is constantly swamped with work and the rig has to sit all summer to get repaired then the owner just has a depreciating asset they cannot even use.

I'd go so far as to say that unless the prospective buyer lives near Lichtsinn and the WGO factory, or another dealer with a sterling reputation, they must have reasonable DIY skills. Otherwise they will likely become very frustrated very soon after the purchase.

I understand the germophobia when buying used, but we all have used public restrooms our entire lives -- an RV bathroom has only been used by a very limited number of people. All surfaces can easily be sterilized. Alternatively, as someone mentioned, toilets and mattresses can be replaced.

As an aside, many people replace brand new mattresses anyway. We replaced ours with a Costco memory foam mattress.

Another issue is the depreciation hit when buying new. If the owner(s) is going to run it into the ground it may not matter as much but it's still an unnecessary expense.

We bought our 2009 View J used in 2012. It had about 22,000 miles on it and was in very good shape.

Our View is a case of not being able to get certain features on newer (or in some cases, older) rigs:

* 2009 was the first year for the 5,000 lb hitch.
* It was the last year for the larger propane tank (18 gal v 13 gal nominal)
* Last year for the manual LP valve. Newer V/Ns have a remote valve that pulls an amp 24/7.
* Last (or second to last?) year for the old style kitchen cabinets.
* Last (or second to last?) year for the old style "push to lock" cabinet door hardware.
* Last year (I think) for the Espar engine coolant heater.

Those were all features we wanted that would be prohibitively expensive to add to a newer V/N.

An added bonus was that while the rig was priced similar to 2008 Views with few options, had it had essentially every option except full-body paint -- the Alcoa alloy wheels; satellite TV; and the QD3200 genset to name a few.

In short, we were able to find what we wanted, save tens of thousands of dollars; and got a View with no problems to speak of -- a chassis recall had already been taken care of, and if there were any problems with the coach they had been corrected.

That said, others might be in the opposite situation -- what they want can only be had with a new motorhome.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:44 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Ah, the unicorn!!
The tap dancing unicorn.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:22 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Buy new or pre-owned RV

I had two pre-owned RVs and decided to purchase a new Winne/Itaska 27K class C RV in 2016.
Clearly this was one of the most disappointing and costly mistakes I have ever made. Here are a few fixes on the check list: All LED lights changed out within the first year 3 times, 3 windows changed out, Microwave replacement, Transfer switch replacement, slides where one can see outside daylight from the inside somewhat repaired, transfer panels from cab to coach replaced 4 times, and $7,000.00 invested in the chassis to keep it on the road safely, shock absorbers. This is a partial list. Things like wall-paper and walls that were not attached is a page long.
Dealing with the dealers was a absolute frustrating and crazy experience never to be recommended. Warranty issues with Winnebago Ind was terrible.
Clearly, Winnebago does not understand quality. I will not own another one of their cheap material and poor workmanship products again.
Cheers:
Moonie
moonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:33 PM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonie View Post
I had two pre-owned RVs and decided to purchase a new Winne/Itaska 27K class C RV in 2016.
Clearly this was one of the most disappointing and costly mistakes I have ever made. Here are a few fixes on the check list: All LED lights changed out within the first year 3 times, 3 windows changed out, Microwave replacement, Transfer switch replacement, slides where one can see outside daylight from the inside somewhat repaired, transfer panels from cab to coach replaced 4 times, and $7,000.00 invested in the chassis to keep it on the road safely, shock absorbers. This is a partial list. Things like wall-paper and walls that were not attached is a page long.
Dealing with the dealers was a absolute frustrating and crazy experience never to be recommended. Warranty issues with Winnebago Ind was terrible.
Clearly, Winnebago does not understand quality. I will not own another one of their cheap material and poor workmanship products again.
Cheers:
Moonie
Sorry to hear about all your trouble Moonie, that's outrageous!

Sadly, it's all too common -- and it should be noted that many other RV mfrs are reportedly even worse.

Everyone considering buying an RV, particularly a new one, should read your post.

Just out of curiosity, what did you have to do to the chassis that was $7,000?
Old 07-15-2018, 08:26 AM   #36
Winnebago Camper

As SarahW said, there is no right or wrong answer. Slightly more than six years ago, my wife and I found a "slightly" used 2011 Itasca Sunova 33C that cost us tens of thousands less than new and came with a six-year extended service agreement from the dealer. It had exactly what we wanted in an RV and was like new. We've driven our coach across the USA and part of Canada several times and, after selling our New Jersey house, March 2017, have lived full-time in it for more than a year until, through our travels, we found where we ultimately wanted to settle and retire. Our travels have been a wonderful adventure. At some point my age may force me to hang up the keys, but right now my wife and I are loving our motorhome adventures.
lewisedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:39 PM   #37
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
When a potential RV buyer shows up on a forum--all excited and asking for help--one of the first responses they get is typically "Don't buy new!!!" Well, there are definitely differences of opinions there, so let's hear YOURS.

We bought new 6 years ago and have had no regrets. I'm one of "those" people who doesn't want somebody else's problems (or germs). We were new to RVing and thought the warranty was the way to go. (Yeah, right.) Of course, we've learned a lot over time, but I still would only buy new.

So. New or pre-owned? Why? Would you do it differently next time? Will there be a next time??

Somehow this thread got off track and onto beds. Let me get back to your question.

Because quality control is such a problem with Winnebago these days, and the slide issues are so prolific, I feel it is even more prudent to by used today than 10+ years ago. The issues of instant $$ loss driving off the lot in a new rig still stand true.

I have never bought new. One of the biggest reasons is I don't want to spend my first year trying to get build issues resolved and missing much of the fun time with the rig because it is in the shop with "warranty" issues. Though the initial cost is greater, I like diesel pushers. Maintenance, in my experience, is not bad. Grease the chassis, change the oil (20k if testing at a lab is done) and tires. Reliability, ride and durability are well worth the price. If you buy from a dealer or private party you will want to clean it yourself before moving in. New or used, they all have issues.

I suggest that you find a floor plan and features you want. Start by building a wish list. Break it down into "MUST HAVES" and "WOULD BE NICE" headings. Don't worry about brand until you develop a short list. From it you can find out which manufacturer has the best reputation for durability and reliability by using forums like this one.

Happy hunting and happy trails to follow.

Rick
Old 07-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #38
Winnebago Camper

We recently bought a new Vista expecting reasonable warranty service, then we learned the number one dirty little warrant secret of the industry. We enjoy the Vista and everything on the chassis and things like air, heat and electronics work fine.but we're really disappointed with Winnebago's assembly process. Materials used are fine but it looks like their assembly workers are either untrained or don't care. Window valences and roller blinds keep falling off. Mostly because of inadequate fasteners being used or poor instation. Locks on hatches that don't match keys, tires unbalanced and out of alignment, large blemishes on the side paint and decals that do not clean up or buff out, decals that were torn during intallation, etc.All in all not the quality Winnebago is known for. Since I purchased it 600 miles away, no local dealers are interested in working me in to their service departments. Therefore I have become the one doing the warranty work. We hope we dont have anymore of the issues.
ExBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:04 PM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExBuckeye View Post
We recently bought a new Vista expecting reasonable warranty service, then we learned the number one dirty little warrant secret of the industry. We enjoy the Vista and everything on the chassis and things like air, heat and electronics work fine.but we're really disappointed with Winnebago's assembly process. Materials used are fine but it looks like their assembly workers are either untrained or don't care. Window valences and roller blinds keep falling off. Mostly because of inadequate fasteners being used or poor instation. Locks on hatches that don't match keys, tires unbalanced and out of alignment, large blemishes on the side paint and decals that do not clean up or buff out, decals that were torn during intallation, etc.All in all not the quality Winnebago is known for. Since I purchased it 600 miles away, no local dealers are interested in working me in to their service departments. Therefore I have become the one doing the warranty work. We hope we dont have anymore of the issues.
I'm very sorry to hear about your problems.

I've read far too many stories like this over the years, and the quality and dealer issues seem to be getting worse, not better.

It would be helpful if the experiences of people who bought new RVs (all brands) were gathered in one place for prospective buyers to read -- BEFORE they buy.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:18 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Somehow this thread got off track and onto beds. Let me get back to your question.

Because quality control is such a problem with Winnebago these days, and the slide issues are so prolific, I feel it is even more prudent to by used today than 10+ years ago. The issues of instant $$ loss driving off the lot in a new rig still stand true.

I have never bought new. One of the biggest reasons is I don't want to spend my first year trying to get build issues resolved and missing much of the fun time with the rig because it is in the shop with "warranty" issues. Though the initial cost is greater, I like diesel pushers. Maintenance, in my experience, is not bad. Grease the chassis, change the oil (20k if testing at a lab is done) and tires. Reliability, ride and durability are well worth the price. If you buy from a dealer or private party you will want to clean it yourself before moving in. New or used, they all have issues.

I suggest that you find a floor plan and features you want. Start by building a wish list. Break it down into "MUST HAVES" and "WOULD BE NICE" headings. Don't worry about brand until you develop a short list. From it you can find out which manufacturer has the best reputation for durability and reliability by using forums like this one.

Happy hunting and happy trails to follow.

Rick
Great advice!

In particular, the idea of "MUST HAVES" and "WOULD BE NICE".

I would suggest considering 3 categories:

1) MUST HAVE -- and cannot be changed/added later (i.e., the floor plan; cabinets; OCCC, tow rating, etc). IWO, "deal breakers".

2) WOULD BE NICE -- but will/would be expensive to change (i.e. replace sofa with dinette or vice versa). IOW, major additional expense.

3) WOULD BE NICE -- and will not cost much (esp if done by owner). Cab seat swivels; add an inverter; replace interior lights with LEDs, etc.