Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2020, 04:51 PM   #21
Dives2Little

GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
We’ve got a Garmin RV770. I guess the new version has an even bigger screen. (8”, I think). It’s never really steered us wrong.
I'm a bit of a coward. Willoughby (the Winnebago) came with the Excite/Rand McNally, which is nice, because it provides three cameras, routing, satellite radio, and DVD. I don't love the Rand McNally GPS and also use a Garmin RV770. Both systems allow you to set up for the length/height/weight of the RV and both, supposedly, route you in the "RVest", friendliest way. I try to keep both systems updated (3-4 times per year).

The Garmin steers us wrong less frequently than the Excite, but not a lot. Often, my wife will run Waze on her phone and we use that as the tie breaker...

Pros:
The Garmin is easier (for me) to use. I have always had Garmins and that contributes to my preference. Also, easier to update, since I don't have to take it out of the coach when there is decent WiFi.

The Rand McNally has a much bigger display (10") and better graphics when approaching an on/off ramp.

Cons:
The Garmin will lie to you. Check another source before you start down that country lane! At least, make sure you can identify a turn around spot.

The Rand McNally will occasionally "take a nap". This ends up in a lag and once in a while a reboot. Also, you don't want to lose the Sim Card when you update the software!
Dives2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:00 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
Unfortunately, the AA navigation software doesn't have that offline map data, and only works when Internet is available.
Well, it depends on which info system you are using. We have a Winnie Fuse on the Ford Transit 350 HD chassis and it uses the Ford Sync 3 system, and that system is compatible with the Sygic Android software. In fact I used to use that before I ended up with an iPhone, and it ran on my Motorola G7 phone.

The Sygic software is also compatible with other info systems, but not all, so it depends. If you are interested you can see the information on the Sygic web page if you check out the Car Navigation software. The other Sygic software displays only on the phone, not on the info system.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:27 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Unfortunately, the AA navigation software doesn't have that offline map data, and only works when Internet is available.
Not true. You can download maps to your phone. The off-line maps will navigate you through those areas, but if you want to pick a new destination you won't be able to.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:38 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Not true. You can download maps to your phone. The off-line maps will navigate you through those areas, but if you want to pick a new destination you won't be able to.
My concern has always been that if we wanted to take a little side trip on our main trip we would not be able to find our way around. The downloaded maps are OK if you stay on the route, but we tend to say "Gee, I wonder what is down that road", and that can get you in trouble if there is no cell service.

We keep the Sygic stuff for exactly that kind of situation.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:06 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

BU Camera Update
I bought a wireless unit on Amazon for $109.00. It was very easy to install, and i had it up and running in no time. The image is rock solid, very clear, and I'm quite happy with it.

As for the install, I connected the cam to the bumper, not the offset license plate. I wired the cam to the light the shines down on the license plate. It was very convenient place to tap 12V, and I like to drive with lights on, so the cam is always on.
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:07 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Another option that I and fellow travelers have used for 10 years with success is “Bad Elf “. Use it plugged into my iPad with 10” screen for easy viewing. It’s a free satellite linked service working off several different satellites. Cost for an Elf is around $100. No data usage or cell tower jumping. I run the CoPilot app which is programmable with vehicle choice including height input, active traffic and offers selectable maps and free updates by state, region or if you have the storage capacity, the whole wide world, if you want to drive there. I also have used it with Waze but don’t know about other map services. I use it in my pickup with an iPad mini and can also use it in our Equinox towed with iPhone and CarPlay. It’s really a pretty cheap alternative compared to your stand alone GPS units which most want $$ to update. Food for thought, works for me.

https://bad-elf.com/products/be-gps-1008
Old 08-05-2020, 08:28 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

We are sort of belt, suspenders and belt. We have a Garmin RV 760LMT, and a Rand McNally RVND 7 RV GPS plus TPMS and SCAN gauges, mounted on a oak board painted to match the dash. This fits right over the instrument cluster on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis, just below the line of sight on the road. We also keep an I pad with Google maps, "Allstays Camp and RV", and "Waze" ready for the "navigator" to consult if there is an issue, find the campground, or the next truck stop. The Waze is always handy when there is congestion or a stoppage, as well as planing each AM for construction we might meet during that day. Even though our primary plan is At&T, we have a Verizon hot spot, with a Wilson (weBoost) amp for those places where we cannot get a good cell signal when crossing the country.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:59 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Finally got an opportunity to try out the built-in navigation on the 'Burb last weekend while checking keys to the cabin up on the Tellico River in East TN. Definitely a no-go if you get off the beaten path at all, which we did while checking out some NFS campgrounds along the Tellico and Hiwassee rivers.

Been looking hard at the Garmin RV units and their Overlander GPS but that Overlander is pricey and the RV units don't have the Forest Service info without downloading it. Thinking maybe for where I tend to go when the trailer isn't attached, I'm going to get the Magellan TRX CS at $450 instead of $700 for the Overlander. Maybe sometimes when the trailer is attached. They both have all the forest service roads and trails in which I'm interested but the Magellan also comes with a camera on the back that would be useful. And a $250 smaller price tag.

May also install the Gaia mapping app on my wife's big iPhone as a backup. It's okay to poke around unknown FS roads on your home turf but I think I'd like a little more info in unfamiliar territory.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:18 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

We use the Garmin770 primarily but I also plan my trips on goodsam trip planner which I can print out their route details. Most of the time the routes are very similar. Only differing by ver small item such as a block one way or the other. It has always worked well for us.
Smittty54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:17 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Talking Triple GPS

On our last trip, we had three gps's going. Both our phones and the built in. We came to a "T" intersection. One GPS said to go right, another left, and the third said make a u turn.
Memory Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:27 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memory Maker View Post
On our last trip, we had three gps's going. Both our phones and the built in. We came to a "T" intersection. One GPS said to go right, another left, and the third said make a u turn.
https://imgflip.com/memetemplate/645...crow-which-way
Old 08-06-2020, 09:55 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

The more I use RV Life...the more I like it. Since we have been stuck in Winnie Service for the past 3 weeks waiting for parts, we've had plenty of time to travel around the area checking out fishing streams. This app has been accurate in its directions including overhead clearance and road construction. I really like having it in my phone - no need for yet another device.
Sheilag1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:04 AM   #33
Winnebago Camper

DITTO...............
BobbyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:25 AM   #34
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I am a bit surprised at how hard it is to find a phone based nav system for RVs that will display through the info system on the vehicle. Cars - yes, RVs - not so much.

As I mentioned I sometimes use Sygic as a nav system, especially when I have no cell service, but they also have a truck system. The truck system has all of the options that I would need for an RV, but it does not display through the info system, and so it is of no use to me. I suppose trucks may not have an info system for display, but Sygic could do some work and make the app usable for RVs as well, but they apparently decided to not do so.

Anyone know a good phone based system for RVs?
Once we updated the stock head unit with this model, we were able to use Apple CarPlay to see the maps on the screen, and hear the directions over the speakers in the coach.
If you’re listening to music or an audio book, it will interrupt what’s playing to announce directions.
It does a lot more, but this feature might be what you’re looking for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06731D25-BF42-4CEB-B8B4-986CA06C4DAA.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	174488  
Old 08-23-2020, 06:04 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

If your a google maps user, they also have google my maps. You can add destinations and points of interest to your map and save it then import them into google maps.
Just do a search for google my maps. You need a google account also.
Search YouTube for tutorials on using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
It's amazing how quickly Google Maps updates road changes, including most importantly roads that are shut down. But down in Tacoma the state has the SB lanes of I-5 running over on what was and will be the NB lanes' bridge, and that doesn't get updated, apparently because it's temporary for construction????

https://memegenerator.net/img/instan...acoma-dome.jpg
PeterAtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #36
Winnebago Camper

In reality, a GPS unit is a small TV with a weird sense of humor. Just saying..
winston74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:15 AM   #37
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Once we updated the stock head unit with this model, we were able to use Apple CarPlay to see the maps on the screen, and hear the directions over the speakers in the coach.
If you’re listening to music or an audio book, it will interrupt what’s playing to announce directions.
It does a lot more, but this feature might be what you’re looking for?
I am looking for some system that will display a GPS mapping program that supports RVs and their restrictions.

RV Life has a GPS mapping system, but it does not show up in Apple CarPlay or Android Auto on our info system. Same for the Sygic Truck app. The Sygic car app does show up, but not the truck app, which has the height restrictions I would like to have.

I am not aware of any RV specific smartphone nav system that will show up in either Apply CarPlay or Android Auto and, if you are, I would like to know which one that is.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:27 PM   #38
Winnebago Master

Google is starting to work with 3rd parties to allow more navigation apps to work under Android Auto, beyond Google's Maps and Waze apps.

All we need is for one of the RV friendly navigation apps to add Android Auto support, now that Google is supporting 3rd parties.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:42 PM   #39
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Google is starting to work with 3rd parties to allow more navigation apps to work under Android Auto, beyond Google's Maps and Waze apps.

All we need is for one of the RV friendly navigation apps to add Android Auto support, now that Google is supporting 3rd parties.
When did Google start allowing non-Google nav apps access to AA? From all that I have seen, including stuff on Sygic's website, Sygic is still not allowed any access to AA and I believe that they would be happy to add AA support to their apps.

If this happens I will personally be very pleased with the change. RV knowledgeable apps like RV Life and Sygic Truck don't work with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto as of right now so there is no RV-smart smartphone app that I can use. Google Maps and Apple Maps are OK, as is Sygic GPS, but none of those know about RVs so they do not give any attention to height or propane restrictions or any of the other RV-specific concerns about travel.

Probably like pretty much every RV owner who uses nav apps I have horror stories about following their instructions and finding myself in odd situations. It would be nice to not have to worry about that as much.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:53 PM   #40
Winnebago Master

On 8/11, 9to5Google reported Google is opening up Android Auto to 3rd party apps, such as TomTom and MapFactor.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps