Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

If anyone is interested I have replaced the Carpet & Linoleum in the Lounge & Galley of our 2004 Sightseer 35 N. Photos at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/sight04
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Great job. Did you replace the sofa/bed also? We have been looking to replace the one in our unit, haven't found anything that works yet.
Jan

Dusty the Cat
Mistyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

What a great job. Your coach looks really nice.
LV Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by Mistyjan:
Great job. Did you replace the sofa/bed also? We have been looking to replace the one in our unit, haven't found anything that works yet.
Jan
Replaced the Jacknife Sofa with a sleeper sofa.
We barely were able to get it through the doorway, had to take legs of the sofa & the entry assist bar.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Did you have to modify anything on the slide with the change to laminate flooring and did you have to remove the slide to do it.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by John Hilley:
Did you have to modify anything on the slide with the change to laminate flooring and did you have to remove the slide to do it.
The front inside corner of the slide floor was squared off, & the rear end of the slide floor was extended to the back wall. The album with the progress photos show the before & after of the floor slide front & back. The slide was not removed.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:49 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Under the front slide did you have to change or modify anything so the movement of the slide in/out didn't scratch the floor? I was thinking there is some kind of half moon slide bar, under the front of the slide, that might scratch the floor if it were changed from carpet to laminate. Did you have to modify the slide bar any?

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by JnGOnTheGo:
Under the front slide did you have to change or modify anything so the movement of the slide in/out didn't scratch the floor? I was thinking there is some kind of half moon slide bar, under the front of the slide, that might scratch the floor if it were changed from carpet to laminate. Did you have to modify the slide bar any?
Nothing was done to the slide bar. I sandwiched some rubber along the edege between the slide edge & the laminate strip on the edge as a wiper to atempt to prevent anything from getting in between the floor & the slide.
The clearance is very close. I replaced the floor vents, & the one under the slide actually opens when the slide goes out & closes when the slide goes in (just catches the wheel on the vent).
Old 09-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally posted by Mistyjan:
Jan
Did you look for a sofa at RV Surplus?
http://www.rvsurplussalvage.com/cata...category_id=95
Old 09-25-2008, 10:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I have been thinking about doing the same to our 04 Brave. Looks like you did a great job on yours.I have several questions if you don't mind.

1. I noticed that you used a Pergo type of flooring. Did you consider using a type that glues down to the plywood? Our coach has hard wood where yours had Linoleum and it appears to be glued down.

2. Did you have much trouble getting the old carpet up? It looks like the plywood under your new floor is pretty clean.

3. One of the other reply's asks about the issue of the wheels from the slide marking the floor. From the pictures it looks like you might be full timers in the coach. If so do you move the slide in and out very often? I am also concerned about the wheels marking the floor the way they leave a track in the carpet.

2004 Brave 32V
scubadilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:56 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

One more question Terry. How far were you able to get the wood under the slides? I am pretty sure that the carpet under mine goes all the way to the wall. That being said I am wondering about whether the difference in height between the two (the carpet & the wood) makes a difference.

2004 Brave 32V
scubadilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by scubadilo:
I have been thinking about doing the same to our 04 Brave. Looks like you did a great job on yours.I have several questions if you don't mind.

1. I noticed that you used a Pergo type of flooring. Did you consider using a type that glues down to the plywood? Our coach has hard wood where yours had Linoleum and it appears to be glued down.

I did not consider any other type of floor.
However the coach that I had before this one, I installed a 3/8 tongue & grove (wood)and secured it to the floor using a brad nailer. I liked the way it came out (no slide).Kept it for a few years after the floor mod.

2. Did you have much trouble getting the old carpet up? It looks like the plywood under your new floor is pretty clean.

Carpet came up easy. The thing to think about is where to make the transition from Carpet to Laminate. You will need to secure the transition strip & sometimes since the front transition is close to the engine compartment there may be metal under the carpet. If you cut the carpet & there is metal under it it may be a challenge to secure the transition strip.

3. One of the other reply's asks about the issue of the wheels from the slide marking the floor. From the pictures it looks like you might be full timers in the coach. If so do you move the slide in and out very often? I am also concerned about the wheels marking the floor the way they leave a track in the carpet.

As far as I can tell I do not have wheels under my front slide. If you go to the Winnebago web site select: Resources/Manuals & Diagrams/Service Tips/2001 2001-09 Slide out Rooms. There you will find photos of typical glide strips. After bringing my front slide 1/2 way out you can lift the edge a little to see under, & those are the type that I have.
Not a full timer. We use the coach 3 to 4 months a year.
The Laminate floor is relitavely new I would guess that the slide has been cycled a dozen times since the laminate floor installation. Taken Coach out once with the new floor. Leaving in two weeks for a 2,900 mile trip. Should be good chance to find any issues.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:46 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by scubadilo:
One more question Terry. How far were you able to get the wood under the slides? I am pretty sure that the carpet under mine goes all the way to the wall. That being said I am wondering about whether the difference in height between the two (the carpet & the wood) makes a difference.

What I remember is under the dinette you could go further back with the Laminate. Under the sofa
it had the piece of beveled plywood for a glide strip & you could not go any further back.
At any rate I only put it as far back as needed so that you could not see the edge.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by randco:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mistyjan:
Jan
Did you look for a sofa at RV Surplus?

No I went to a local furniture store & found one that we both liked(The Bride & I)& made it work.
$600.00
http://www.rvsurplussalvage.com/cata...category_id=95 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 09-30-2008, 07:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by pace89:
If anyone is interested I have replaced the Carpet & Linoleum in the Lounge & Galley of our 2004 Sightseer 35 N.
Very, very nice work... wish I had the abilty to do that to my MH.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:46 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Very nice work, looks great.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:38 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Pace82
I cannot seem to locate the web site you are talking about for the slide out rooms.
Link
This is the only one I can find. Can you post a link? We too are thinking about putting laminate in our coach but the slide is a major issue as ours "drops" down after extending.
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:04 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by blucrabbie:
Pace82
I cannot seem to locate the web site you are talking about for the slide out rooms.
Link
This is the only one I can find. Can you post a link? We too are thinking about putting laminate in our coach but the slide is a major issue as ours "drops" down after extending.

try: http://winnebagoind.com/resources/se...ervicetips.php (last item in Manuals & Diagrams list "Service Tips")
This area has lots of information.
Go to year 2001 2001-09 Slide-out rooms. There is also some more information about Slide-out's in Year 2004 2004-06 Slide out room operation maintenance.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Found it. Thanks. Ours is the Flat Floor slide. That will definitely present a problem when trying to replace the carpet.
Oh well.
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Pace89

Did you replace your step treads and, if so, were did you get them?

I like the step treads in your pics.

Our 2001 35U has "grooved" step treads that are all but impossible to clean and have been searching for a source for treads like yours.

Thanks in advance.

David Kanoy
2000 Winnebago 35U, Ford Triton V10, F53 Chassis (39,000 miles). Toad: 2000 Honda Odyssey (384,000 Miles), Home Made Trac Bar, Firestone Ride Rites, 5 Star Performance Tune, Cheap Handling Fix, Magnum Auto-Start Generator kit, King Quest VQ4100 (Direct TV)
David Kanoy is offline   Reply With Quote