Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 03:29 AM   #41
Winnie-Wise

I suggested that to Winnie but it was not well received. Mind you, my view was that they could also be generic centers servicing MHs of more than one manufacturer and supported by all the participating manufacturers (lets face it, a lot of the "stuff" is common to many). This way they could have a dozen or more around North America and everyone could be within a "not too unreasonable" distance. It is clear that the dealers (most of them) are not up to doing the work properly and I see nothing that indicates that will change in the near future (the auto manufacturers would terminate the franchise of any dealer who performed like a MH dealer). Winnie felt it would rather have people return to their selling dealer for service so they would see the current products. Clearly sales come well before service. In my case that didn't work.

Your suggestion is similar to what Monaco/HR has done - they have 3 service facilities - Oregon, Indiana and Florida. I visited one in Wildwood (just for a consultation - they were booking for 4 months out). The convenience here is that many people going to Florida can book at Wildwood (near Ocala). They can probably use two down there given the huge flow into FLA in the fall and out in the spring. I talked to a number of the owners in Wildwood and the reason they were there was simple - incompetent dealers (in my case my Winnie dealer and my current HR dealer are the same dealership - some good people but not even close to enough to handle the volume they sell both manufacturers are slow in delivering parts).

While some may get their jollies from visiting the factory (I see they get all excited, fuzzy nd warm), I don't. If my auto manufacturer gave me the same headaches you wouldn't see me buying that brand again. Just consider the fuel cost to go 1100 miles each way and ask yourself why anyone would be foolish enough to want to spend $800 to take their vehicle to be fixed.

Of course, the Winnie warranty does make it clear that they can insist that you take your MH back to the factory for repair.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Homer:
It has always seemed to me that good companies like "W" should establish about four large repair facilities in strategic areas across the country. The would be company owned and staffed, but financially supported by the selling dealers. Let them do what they do best SELL. Dealers by and large are no good for most repair, even the best of the bunch. I would certainly feel better about buying a product, I knew would be serviced by trained, responsible personnel. IMHO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-30-2006, 02:22 PM   #42
Winnebago Camper

If anyone is confused I am not calling Winnebago about my stolen property, just to get my warranty repairs done and done so I can use them...

2005 Itasca Sunova 30B/Workhorse
Old 04-30-2006, 05:25 PM   #43
Winnie-Wise

The repairs are one issue, and the lose of the property is another issue. I sincerely hope you can get both issues resolved quickly. Please keep us posted on any response you get from Winnebago and the resolutions they propose.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:03 AM   #44
Winnebago Owner

I enjoyed your factory log. What some people forget is that the volume of RVs sold is minute compared to auto sales and therefore when we buy we know that we might have to do special things.

You are a class act Mr. Rebelsbeach and you do a great job with the forum. Now if I can find a way to get to the Tuesday discussions!

Nick, Journey '01
Old 05-01-2006, 01:38 PM   #45
Winnebago Camper

I have a commitment from Winnebago to take care of my problems. I'll have to make appt in Tucson at LaMesa RV as soon as we get back from our trip (delayed a few weeks now). Hate leaving for a month or two with dash A/C/Heat not working properly....

2005 Itasca Sunova 30B/Workhorse
Old 05-01-2006, 02:59 PM   #46
Winnebago Owner

This thread goes to show you just how important a good dealer with a good service department is to anyone who purchases an RV. I hope you can get everything resolved to your satisfaction. I agree with Kazoo Tom that you probably won't get help with the stolen tv. We empty our RV out of anything that would be difficult or expensive to repalce if we have to leave it for service, and I make sure I lock the doors on it when we drop it off and also ask the service manager to please be sure to do the same after they are done working on it.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:00 PM   #47
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dleslie125:

While some may get their jollies from visiting the factory (I see they get all excited, fuzzy nd warm), I don't. If my auto manufacturer gave me the same headaches you wouldn't see me buying that brand again. Just consider the fuel cost to go 1100 miles each way and ask yourself why anyone would be foolish enough to want to spend $800 to take their vehicle to be fixed.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess my answer to your comment would be, I'd drive to the factory, 1.) to get it fixed right the first time; 2.) to get it fixed quick 3.) to get it fixed for a fair price (for the out-of-warranty stuff).

I had thousands of chips in the paint, on the front 'apron' under the headlights, on my '02 Horizon, that I bought used. The chips were from an Alaska trip (by original owner). Local dealer & paint shops quoted more than $1800 to prep & paint to factory specs. I wanted an exhaust fan installed thru the wall, for my microwave oven/fan. Like the newer ones have. Mine is a 2002, and it just re-circulated the inside air. I also wanted the rear bumper paint chips repaired, a new wing-antenna gear assembly (old one was stripped), a new fresh water tank installed (original one was cracked), the dash A/C repaired (original owner took it back under warranty several times, but a slow leak could never be found, even with the dye, so he gave up on it.) I wanted it fixed. I also wanted a side scrape to the RH side-wall repaired, and a new graphic applied (I don't have full body paint). There were 4 or 5 other issues that were also on the list, and one that was added as a result of a dip-stick tube breaking off at the engine, on my trip to Forest City.

Winnebago took care of ALL of those problems in 4 days, and the total bill to me was just over $1800; the price the local dealer wanted to repair the front paint chips. They spent an entire day on the A/C, and replaced most of it, all at no charge. It now works properly.

So that's why I drove to Forest City. And also because I wanted to do the factory tours, etc. Even with the expense of going there and back, the work that was done costs less than locally, AND the motorhome was not tied up at a dealer for the whole summer, with delay and back-order, and incompetent workers.

No, I wouldn't take my car back to Detroit, but my motorhome is a much more complex machine, and I can say from my experience, that going to the factory, while much more inconvenient than going to the dealer, will be much more satisfying an experience.

fixed the quote...
Indian River, De
Old 05-01-2006, 03:21 PM   #48
Winnebago Master

One of the main reasons we decided to stay with a used rig when we decided to trade up to a DP was the number of bugs/repairs I was reading about for new coaches. I had also decided that really good, competent dealers were few. For us, the used rig has met our expectations and problems have been few.

I agree with Capt. Bill that due to the complexity of these machines, I'd accept the need to do a factory trip for some repairs. As most of us do, I'd try to make it a fun road trip.

Unless I was planning to full time and willing to take my chances at either finding a dealer wherever I might be, or heading to the factory, I would not consider buying new. I would likely only consider new if I had a proven dealer relatively close to where I live.

We're just darn lucky to have a good, independent RV shop who can do most anything (if I can't do it myself) and charges only $55 per hour.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:24 PM   #49
Administrator Emeritus

Good points by both Easyrider and Captain Bill....

Mr. Leslie,it might also be worth noting that CDI offered to reimburse me for my fuel costs as well as put me up in the Lodge if that was necessary....Coach was returned to me in the evening,we stayed in it and took it back next morning.
I also turned down the fuel reimbursement,as after all I DID get my jollies off by being there...

My dealer's service department has two RVIA certified techs as well as a former tech who is now the service manager,having been promoted from within.
I feel that Winnebago has an excellent system of Owner Relations,as I've always received an answer to any email I've ever sent...
I probably have called there one time,I've always found it better use of my time to use email.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:51 PM   #50
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert & Kiki:
I have a commitment from Winnebago to take care of my problems. I'll have to make appt in Tucson at LaMesa RV as soon as we get back from our trip (delayed a few weeks now). Hate leaving for a month or two with dash A/C/Heat not working properly.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably as good as time as any to shut this one down as Robert seems to have gotten the result he was hoping for....Robert can open a new topic with the results of his trip to LaMesa in a few weeks as well as the progress with regard to reimbursemen for his television.
Closed Thread